Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: if you had to live on the mainland.. where would you live?

Probably Michigan (where my brother is, and I'd like to experience what the other side of the thermometer feels like)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      When you have some time, try check out this stunning online journal about Chernobyl created by a Ukrainian woman named Elena.

Much as Elena's article was useful in bringing broader awareness to the issue of nuclear accidents, The LA Times reported that the Chernobly "bike ride" was a hoax.
      http://www.rwguide.com/thread_23381_...is_a_hoax.html

Comment

Either the San Francisco Bay Area or Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          Probably Michigan (where my brother is, and I'd like to experience what the other side of the thermometer feels like)
          You've picked a decent area, though I don't know where in Michigan your brother is; Michigan is quite a big state. The reason I call it decent is because parts of Michigan (mainly the upper peninsula and a little of the lower) are in an area known as "The Blonde Belt".

The Blonde Belt is a geographical area that extends from North Dakota, into Minnesota, Wisconsin, and like I said, some of Michigan. It's known by this moniker as a large percentage of the population that resides there is of Scandanavian-Nordic ancestry. Plenty of blonde haired blue eyed people. I ran a 10 mile race in LaCrosse, WI not too long ago, and I swore, I was only person in this race who was not blonde and blue eyed.

But back to the story: If you want to live in an area with just plain, flat out, drop-dead gorgeous ladies who don't know that they are, make a bee-line for the "Blonde Belt"..especially Minnesota and North Dakota. 3 little months of winter can be easily dealt with seeing the babes this area has. And when the thermometer is in the 90's, like it will be today..oh boy..hit the state parks with beaches...it's bikini time in North Dakota...and it rivals anything I've seen in Hawai'i.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
            You've picked a decent area, though I don't know where in Michigan your brother is; Michigan is quite a big state. The reason I call it decent is because parts of Michigan (mainly the upper peninsula and a little of the lower) are in an area known as "The Blonde Belt".

The Blonde Belt is a geographical area that extends from North Dakota, into Minnesota, Wisconsin, and like I said, some of Michigan. It's known by this moniker as a large percentage of the population that resides there is of Scandanavian-Nordic ancestry. Plenty of blonde haired blue eyed people. I ran a 10 mile race in LaCrosse, WI not too long ago, and I swore, I was only person in this race who was not blonde and blue eyed.

But back to the story: If you want to live in an area with just plain, flat out, drop-dead gorgeous ladies who don't know that they are, make a bee-line for the "Blonde Belt"..especially Minnesota and North Dakota. 3 little months of winter can be easily dealt with seeing the babes this area has. And when the thermometer is in the 90's, like it will be today..oh boy..hit the state parks with beaches...it's bikini time in North Dakota...and it rivals anything I've seen in Hawai'i.
            Funny.. and you are 100% correct too!

I'm actually one of those many blue-eyed blondes from the 'Blonde Belt'.. of course I'm a guy.. but nontheless. I grew up in Michigan.. and pretty much everyone around me was blond or red and a few sandy blondes and such. I remember a Mexican family with brown eyes and black hair.. wow, did I think that was EXTREMELY exotic!!

Also, 100% right on with the bikinis and beaches in the summertime. Particularly growing up in Michigan.. its really blessed with some beautiful beaches particularly on the Lake Michigan side of the state.. a really interesting time of the year to be there.

Also Minnesota/N.Dakota is definetely even more scandinavian.. when I moved from MI to MN for a year or so a long time ago.. its really strongly ingrained into the culture as well - unlike Michigan which has more of the Blondes coming from Ireland/Poland/Germany, etc. rather than Scandinavia which ND/MN seems to mostly come from. And even the Minnesota accent has a strange Swedish accent sound to it, or maybe it just seems that way to me.

All that being said.. I'm still attracted to the exotic brown/black combination.. and Hawaii or Asia or about 90% of the world would fill that interest quite easily.

Opposites definetely attract!
            Last edited by Tiger Beer; July 31, 2005, 03:43 AM.

Comment

FUCK AMERICA , but if i had to live there , i'd probably wanna check out the indian reservations cuz they make weed legal
              Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
                FUCK AMERICA , but if i had to live there , i'd probably wanna check out the indian reservations cuz they make weed legal
                I don't think any of the Native American tribes would want you to live with them with your attitudes, NewRoots. Better you stay on Guam and help your people. Native American tribes don't legally condone MJ because it's not part of their culture. Some tribes do use the hallucinogenic peyote (magic mushroom) in some of their ceremonies (their vision quests), but they can do it legally because it's part of their "religion".

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

hahahaha... your funny , but smart , good morning
                  Ebb And Flow

Comment

Check out Jamaica as ganja is part of their Rastafarian religion.Or move to Holland where there are "coffee bars" in Amsterdam where you could legally buy and smoke primo sinsemilla or hashish.

Comment

F*** AMERICA , but if i had to live there , i'd probably wanna check out the indian reservations cuz they make weed legal

This thread is about where residents of the State of Hawaii would live, if they had a choice, as to where they would live on the mainland. I'm not sure if Guam residents are included in this question, they not being from Hawai'i, but what the heck, why not? This being the case, I'll understand if this post get deleted by the administrators.

New Roots, you have made your hatred of the American Government well known to the members of this online hui. We've all heard your grumblings about how you feel that you and the Chamorro have been marginalized by, to quote you, the illegitimate "haole" government of the USA. ( I think you need to replace the Hawai'ian word for "foriegner" with the Chamorro equivalent of it..or don't you know it?) In any event, we are well aware of your abomination for the USA, though many of us in here don't quite really understand the true reasons for your hate. You give us bits and pieces about "haole" this and "haole" that, yet all the while, you live in an almost US state with the highest per capita income found in the entire region Guam is located in. You live in a place, like Hawai'i, where people travel thousands of miles to visit and enjoy. Tumon Bay is spectacular!

I found your posting to be of near perfect timing in conjunction with a newpaper paper article that appeared in today's Providence Sunday Journal. It's an article written by the New York Times, with a dateline of Saipan, CNMI. The article mainly deals with the armed forces recruiting successes in American Samoa, the Marshall Islands, the CNMI, and even in of all places, Guam. The article goes into detail about military recruiters in the Pacific Territories regions are easily meeting their enlistment goals, while recruiters in the fifty US states, are having a difficult time achieving their particular goals.

A case is made that many enlistees are joining to escape the poverty of the Pacific territories. They are going into the military to earn educational dollars, with the ultimate goal of attending college on the mainland, and perhaps, staying on the mainland/Hawaii/Alaska when their education is complete.

But the article quotes David B. Cohen, deputy assisstant secretary for the interior of insular affairs that patriotism is very strong within the Pacific territories. He offers up evidence of islander patriotism: "How else can you explain someone like Ray Yumul, a sitting (CNMI) congressman who has spent a year serving in Iraq? He's certainly not someone who needed the military as a ticket out." Pacific Islanders are enlisting in the American armed forces ( and will most likely end up in southwest Asia) at a far greater percentage rate then their fellow mainlander compatriots.

Perhaps you know some of these young Guamanians who are off to serve in the military machine of the haole US government. Keep in mind that they are going off to war to ensure that malcontents like you continue to have the right..the liberty and freedom...to speak out against the US government and in the American way in general.

I hope you think of them as you sip your bubble tea at the Micronesia Mall or eat your burger at Jollibee's while they are sitting in a fox-hole in Afghanistan, a battlefield in Iraq, or sweltering at Camp Delta in Guantanamo.

Comment

hey surfing farm boy. thanks for asking that question. tumon bay is ugly just like the rest of this miserable island.. but thanks for saying its nice. lol

military patriotism in the pacific. i dont know about that. people i know that join the military do it mostly as a last resort for a job. the senator in the CNMI who joined the army , doesnt have the same feelings towards the government that we have. they're not facing the same problems as we are. in fact , they're doing very good. the locals in the CNMI are lucky becuase no-one can buy land unless they are from the CNMI , or have a parent thats from there.

but the case on guam is... less than 40 percent of the population is of chamorru decent. its only going to get worse if we dont do something now.

the military isnt heroic as they claim to be. they do things mainly for them , wether it be for they're supremecy , or for they're image.

before world war two , the united state thought an attack on guahan
                        was nearly unavoidable. so what they did was took off all their military personell off the island. and left us without any defense to protect ourselves from the attack.

they also tested their nuclear bombs on neighboring islands ... and sent our soliders to clean it up. our soldiers cleaned up the mess that they made and our soldiers got sick. but it wasnt only our soldiers that were exposed to the nuclear waste. it was even us. they didnt bother to tell us.

i dont sit at micronesia mall lol ... not enough money here , and i dont like those trendy stores. honestly , i hardly go to tumon , even though its only like 10 miles away. each time i'm in tumon , i feel like i'm not even on the island becuase it so different.

most of the soldiers out their fighting for freedom still think the united states 'liberated' us. but they are no different from the two other world powers , spain and japan , that colonized this island for the worst interest of the people , and the best interest for them.
                        Ebb And Flow

Comment

Newroots, if you can continue to be as passionate about the plight of the Chamorru as you are today, then I think you can make a difference on Guam someday.

Rather than trying to be "Hawaiian" (as you have heard from others, there's no way you could ever be kanaka maoli unless you were born into a kanaka maoli family), learn the history of the sovereignty movement in Hawai'i. Go to school...get as much education as you can...if you have a chance (and are smart and lucky, maybe you can have some of your education in the States or Australia) then go back to Guam and become a leader in your community. Speak eloquently and passionately about the Chamorru cause, and don't repeat the same mistakes that the Hawaiian sovereignty movement has made, the most serious mistake being that the kanaka maoli cannot yet stand together as one unified, strong voice.

You're right. The American government is using your island as a stepping stone to Asia, much as the Japanese and Spaniards did. In fact, be prepared for more American troops in your part of the world because that's what's in the Defense Dept's plans for the next decade or so...

Imagine what you can do to make your people proud of you. You say the Chamorru comprise about 40% of the Guahan population. That's a whole lot better representation than the kanaka maoli have in Hawai'i. Be proud of your roots, and as a way of being proud of your roots, try to give back to your community in positive ways.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You have got your nerve to use such language here. Come to our islands and let me know when you arrive so I can personally give you some real whack whack in your rude head! I hope the administrator and morderators ban you from our Ohana. You are a menace on our boards! Auwe!

Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

wow. thanks very much for your advice. i appriciate your good nature in trying to lead someone in the right path. it does alot of help. your words of wisdom are priceless. thanks again muilang
                              Ebb And Flow

Comment

LoL. we love you auntie lynn
                                Ebb And Flow

Comment

Working...
                                X