Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

Default Re: if you had to live on the mainland.. where would you live?

hey surfing farm boy. thanks for asking that question. tumon bay is ugly just like the rest of this miserable island.. but thanks for saying its nice. lol

military patriotism in the pacific. i dont know about that. people i know that join the military do it mostly as a last resort for a job. the senator in the CNMI who joined the army , doesnt have the same feelings towards the government that we have. they're not facing the same problems as we are. in fact , they're doing very good. the locals in the CNMI are lucky becuase no-one can buy land unless they are from the CNMI , or have a parent thats from there.

but the case on guam is... less than 40 percent of the population is of chamorru decent. its only going to get worse if we dont do something now.

the military isnt heroic as they claim to be. they do things mainly for them , wether it be for they're supremecy , or for they're image.

before world war two , the united state thought an attack on guahan
    was nearly unavoidable. so what they did was took off all their military personell off the island. and left us without any defense to protect ourselves from the attack.

they also tested their nuclear bombs on neighboring islands ... and sent our soliders to clean it up. our soldiers cleaned up the mess that they made and our soldiers got sick. but it wasnt only our soldiers that were exposed to the nuclear waste. it was even us. they didnt bother to tell us.

i dont sit at micronesia mall lol ... not enough money here , and i dont like those trendy stores. honestly , i hardly go to tumon , even though its only like 10 miles away. each time i'm in tumon , i feel like i'm not even on the island becuase it so different.

most of the soldiers out their fighting for freedom still think the united states 'liberated' us. but they are no different from the two other world powers , spain and japan , that colonized this island for the worst interest of the people , and the best interest for them.

Newroots, if you can continue to be as passionate about the plight of the Chamorru as you are today, then I think you can make a difference on Guam someday.

Rather than trying to be "Hawaiian" (as you have heard from others, there's no way you could ever be kanaka maoli unless you were born into a kanaka maoli family), learn the history of the sovereignty movement in Hawai'i. Go to school...get as much education as you can...if you have a chance (and are smart and lucky, maybe you can have some of your education in the States or Australia) then go back to Guam and become a leader in your community. Speak eloquently and passionately about the Chamorru cause, and don't repeat the same mistakes that the Hawaiian sovereignty movement has made, the most serious mistake being that the kanaka maoli cannot yet stand together as one unified, strong voice.

You're right. The American government is using your island as a stepping stone to Asia, much as the Japanese and Spaniards did. In fact, be prepared for more American troops in your part of the world because that's what's in the Defense Dept's plans for the next decade or so...

Imagine what you can do to make your people proud of you. You say the Chamorru comprise about 40% of the Guahan population. That's a whole lot better representation than the kanaka maoli have in Hawai'i. Be proud of your roots, and as a way of being proud of your roots, try to give back to your community in positive ways.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by newroots
    FUCK AMERICA , but if i had to live there , i'd probably wanna check out the indian reservations cuz they make weed legal
    You have got your nerve to use such language here. Come to our islands and let me know when you arrive so I can personally give you some real whack whack in your rude head! I hope the administrator and morderators ban you from our Ohana. You are a menace on our boards! Auwe!

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

wow. thanks very much for your advice. i appriciate your good nature in trying to lead someone in the right path. it does alot of help. your words of wisdom are priceless. thanks again muilang

LoL. we love you auntie lynn

Ohio, because:

1. My friends and family live there
    2. Lower cost of living compared to Hawaii
    3. Columbus, which is bigger than Honolulu, is quite the growing city (and unlike HI, there's still room for it to expand outward!)
    4. It might be white bread bland, but strangely enough that same generic population is the reason Columbus is often a testing ground for new restaurants! :-) Yay for food! (I miss good Mexican, and believe it or not, there are a few good Mexican places in OH)
    5. Cedar Point is my fave amusement park

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy
    This thread is about where residents of the State of Hawaii would live, if they had a choice, as to where they would live on the mainland. I'm not sure if Guam residents are included in this question, they not being from Hawai'i, but what the heck, why not?
    Neither the title of the thread or Tiger Beer's starting post made no mention of where you are starting from. What is important to this thread is where you want to go to on the mainland. Of course this begs the question if Alaska counts as well but that could be the subject of another thread.

Only place I'd seriously consider living in is Portland, since I went to school @ Lewis & Clark College and now have a close friend from HS who moved up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith H.
    Only place I'd seriously consider living in is Portland, since I went to school @ Lewis & Clark College and now have a close friend from HS who moved up there.

May I say that I've already made my choice. I like San Jose for the mild weather (e.g., most recently, our days have been in the 70s) / wines (i.e., very good wineries in Santa Clara Valley and nearby Santa Cruz mountains). Additionally, wineries in Gold Country / Paso Robles / Napa aren't that far away.

However, the area from Portland down to McMinnville, OR impressed me. I've been there in January and March, and it was beautiful (and yes, wet). That area's gotten a pretty good rep re pinot noir . . . although, after tasting some local pinots at a food and wine exposition at Linfield College, I much prefer the versions made down here.

Palama Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Beer
    Hmm.. tough choice. Curious about the Miami region.. yet, would probably really dislike actually living there.

Maybe Seattle or Las Vegas.
    It depends.

Coulda/woulda/shoulda moved when I was young and single? The east coast. Somewhere in the original colonies. I am not fond of the frontier at all. Or anywhere on the Great Lakes (I like Chicago, although I hate, hate, hate the cold).

If it is my kane, my kids and I, then we would need to live in a family-friendly and Hawaiian-friendly environment. Economics, schools, community and convenience would send us anywhere across the country (although I would think Seattle would be the first choice, with Las Vegas being ahead of um, anywhere else from the Rockies to the Appalachians).

If I am retired, or have a good saving with which to live upon, then I would go south to Australia or New Zealand. The US dollar is strong against theirs, and I am all about stretching a dollar! And its like Europe in the middle of the Pacific (or rather, the southern end of it). Further, as long as I am living in a democratic country that is kind to its immigrants/legal aliens/naturalized citizens, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Portland, Oregon, probably. Maybe Austin, Texas, or somewhere outside New York. If my wife had her way, we'd be living somewhere in Florida right now!
    I am from Austin, TX now living in Sarasota, FL

The Univ of TX Longhorns are again headed to the Rose Bowl, yippeee.

Well...since this thread has just been resurrected, albeit a bit morphed...I'll add my 2 cents! If I had to leave Hawaii for the mainland but had the option to live anywhere I wanted I'd choose Carmel, Ca. and head back to my favorite table in front of the fireplace at the Hog's Breath Inn! Charming...absolutely charming.

Default Re: if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

To be honest I never been to Seattle, it was some place to go during the middle 1980's. Been to the San Francisco Bay Area a few times during the late 1980's to the early 1990's. Since then I have been to Amarillo, Texas and a couple of times to Fernley, Nevada.

I won't mind going to these places again to visit, living there on the other hand that would depend on finding a place to work there first.

Default Re: if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

this thread is back?????????????????????

Well, matapule is retired (sort of) and uaifi and matapule looked all over the world for their retirement paradise, really they literally looked all over the world, travelled there and looked. Their final decision, based on a number of personal criteria (e.g. they had to be within a coupe of hours of his elderly parents), is the Los Cabos area of Baja California. This area was settled at one time by polynesians, probably from Hawai'i. They found a climate almost exactly like Hawai'i, plenty of coconuts, and abundant fish in the sea.

Today matapule enjoys a friendly and loving local Mexican population (who are in the vast majority so there are no racial issues), fabulous local Spanish/native American cuisine, unspoiled beauty, and that same Hawai'i weather. But that doesn't mean matapule and uaifi won't wash up on Hawai'i shores one day soon.

Matapulle's theory is that he can be happy almost anywhere. It all depends on attitude. Something good can be found everywhere.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12