Honolulu Radio Arbitrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Radio Arbitrons

Frankie, again I agree with your opinion on the Time-Life marketing of their compilation CD collections. I've got most of the Classic Rock and the Sounds of the Seventies series. My favorite collection is Rhino's 25 disc set of Super Hits of the 70s: Have a Nice Day. That collection has a lot of oddball and even good stuff by many one hit wonder artists which also don't get much airplay today.

I am an oldies compilation collector and I have many of them, though not too many of the multiple sets like Classic Rock. From the pre-1964 era my favorite collection is from the Cameo-Parkway label that feature the original recordings of Chubby Checker ("The Twist" "Limbo Rock" "Pony Time" etc.), The Orlons ("Wah Wah Tusi", "Not Me") and Bobby Ridell ("Wild One", "Cha cha Cha") among many others. The set also includes rarities and oddities by Clint Eastwood, Peter Best, JoAnn Campbell, Charlie Gracie, Senator Bobby Kennedy, Terry Knight, and ? & the Mysterions. Many of these tracks are hardly played on "oldies radio".

I have plenty of other collections from Billboard (Rhino), NOW (various), and Motown.

What "oldies radio" should do is expand their playlists deeper to at least cover these tracks once in a while if not all the time. This applies to all formats whether it be "golden oldies 1950s-early 60s, Classic Rock, Super Hits of the 70s, or whatever. Radio can do a better job of digging deeper into the music vaults. The music is out there. Play it.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I had a Time Life collection of 70's and 80's music and I gotta agree there was a lot of "filler" music that permeated much of those CD's.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Funny thing about Salem Hawaii - though they might be thought of as 4th in the groups in the state, they are holding ground pretty well.
        Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Originally posted by Geebz View Post
          Funny thing about Salem Hawaii - though they might be thought of as 4th in the groups in the state, they are holding ground pretty well.
          Niche audience.

Comment

Erika from Wednesday Star Bull Jan 22

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...o_ratings.html

Comment

New Radio Ratings

No real surprises. Wonder what the KPOI plan is? They're down to two jocks
              already. Barely hanging on with a 2.0. Another satellite station?

Comment

Re: New Radio Ratings

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                No real surprises. Wonder what the KPOI plan is? They're down to two jocks
                already. Barely hanging on with a 2.0. Another satellite station?
                Could a Jack FM format be in the offing?
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Radio & Records ratings page for Honolulu.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/rrrat...=5/1/2009&CE=0
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The latest - from this morning's Star Bulletin:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...o_ratings.html

Comment

Here is a link to the same article about the ratings without the annoying pop over ad.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ml?mobile=true
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KSSK still tops in the summer arbitrons.

http://bit.ly/S74FA

Among 25- to 54-year-olds listening from 6 a.m. to midnight, KSSK-FM's adult contemporary format reigns supreme, having risen nearly 4 share points from a year ago.

It is the only station with double-digit market share.

KRTR-FM 96.3, a Cox station with an adult contemporary format, is No. 2 in the demographic with an 8.6, and KDNN-FM 98.5's Hawaiian and Reggae format is third with a 7.6 share.

KPHW-FM 104.3, another Cox station, leapt from a tie for sixth place to first in the battle for 18- to-34-year-old ears, up to 11.5 from 6.7 a year ago...
                        Read the entire article at the link above.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think the 24-54 age group is too widespread. I'm almost 50 and I have one boy who's 25. He get's embarrassed that I'm on Facebook. Our ideals are so far apart from each other, so is our tastes for radio. If anything I think that age spread should be split into more distinct groups.

Comment

Well I am still within that group but not for very long. I guess I must still be targeted by radio stations playing... ur.. em... rap music? Oh yeah, AC is quite popular so I guess its the Celine Dion demo that is chasing me... grrrr... her music is too boring.

Where does commercial talk radio fit? 25 to 54 or older age groups?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              Well I am still within that group but not for very long. I guess I must still be targeted by radio stations playing... ur.. em... rap music? Oh yeah, AC is quite popular so I guess its the Celine Dion demo that is chasing me... grrrr... her music is too boring.

Where does commercial talk radio fit? 25 to 54 or older age groups?
                              Commercial talk radio to me has no age group. It's a matter of genre. When it's political it's mostly conservative, then there are the specialities such as health and fitness, and money. Those two seem to command the weekend airwaves. When it comes to health and fitness, you get more of the holistic shows. For money, you get more conservative slants because money is tied to our economy and we are in a free-enterprise, something in which are connected to more big business which leans toward conservatism.

But if I had to pick an age group it would be the middle age conservative male 40-65 years old. In my years of producing money shows, that seems to be the age group and genre.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                But if I had to pick an age group it would be the middle age conservative male 40-65 years old.
                                Sounds about right. The demographic that mostly voted for McCain last year.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                In my years of producing money shows, that seems to be the age group and genre.
                                By any chance, did you work on the Greg Rawlings Show in the 1990s?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X