DVD purchase stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD purchase stories

Let's make the subject of this thread your DVD purchase stories, either good, bad or in between.

Just a point of interest, the first link in this message points to Amazon.com while the rest of the links point to IMDb.com

For me today was the day that The Thin Man collection is supposed to be released for general sales. I never saw The Thin Man but I knew it existed and saw the characters spoofed in the movie Murder by Death. I figured picking up the collection was a good buy, 6 movies for under $60, depending on where I would get it from. So after work today I went to Costco, they didn't have it, so then I went to Sam's Club and they too didn't have it. Went down to Wal-Mart they didn't have it but while searching for it I ran across a John Wayne movie called The High and the Mighty. I never saw that movie and it's about a flight from Honolulu to San Francisco that runs into trouble. I figured for $14, why not buy it, which I did, I haven't watched it yet but I will try to see it one of these days and one of these days I will run over to Tower Video to see if they have The Thin Man collection.

Re: DVD purchase stories

After watching The Transporter 2 today, my friend and I went to Sam's Club to check on DVD's there. One of the titles I picked up there is Sahara for $18.46. We then head over to Wal-Mart and come to find out they are selling it for $14.98. While my friend goes through the $5.50 DVD pile I go to Sam's Club to return Sahara. Kind of painless process to do, they didn't ask why I wanted to return it, but I did tell them that Wal-Mart downstairs was selling it cheaper. Got my money back and picked up Sahara from Wal-Mart which would according to the sales reciept would have gone for $19.84 but for some reason it was selling for $14.98 today.

Comment

WalMart usually puts just released titles on sale the first week they're out. So this past week "Sahara" was on sale at $15, but by tomorrow or even today should be selling for the regular price of around $19. The first week's discount is incentive for you to buy the title now before the price goes up.

That said there are many movie titles that I have patience to wait them out for over a year. Why? Because many titles within a year or two get dropped down to permanent discount status, at least at WalMart. They have DVD movies selling at various price points: $13.94, $9.99, $7.50, some at $8.49, $5.50 and $1 each.

Many recent movies are in that $7.50 to $13.94 range... the newer ones tending to be higher priced, but still dicounted over the regular, current releases.

If it is a title that I am very interested in, for sure I will usually buy it when it first comes out and pay the premium price for... stuff like Star Wars Episode III (coming out Nov. 2 I believe) I will probably buy the first week. Titles such as these generally don't go down in price, even over time.

However a movie like oh say, Transporter 2 will probably be selling for a discount price a year or 2 after its initial DVD release. Since a title like that won't be on my high priority list of movies I want to get, then for sure I will just wait it out.

On the other hand, generally speaking, prices for DVD boxed sets don't go down, even after the movie or TV show been on the market for a long period of time. They usually sell at a slight discount when they initially come out and then again during the Christmas holidays. So something like Lost: The Complete First Season will probably be selling for a discount in its initial release at WalMart and other retailers, including Amazon.com. In about a week or so, the price will spike up to its regular non-sale price.

As for specialty collections such as The Thin Man mentioned here, a general mass retailer such as WalMart will probably not carry it initially because it is more of a niche item. For that you either have to go with Amazon.com or check Tower Records/Video to see if they have it. Expect to pay more at Tower vs. buying it from Amazon at least during the first week.

The same can also be true for some single DVD movies or TV episodes which did not initially have a large audience. For example, the made for TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley was just released on DVD this past week. I went to WalMart to look for it, but it was not stocked. They're selling it for $14.98 at Amazon.com. I haven't checked at Tower Records/Video, but if they do the price will probably be the same too. What I am scared about is that if I buy it now, for sure I may see this selling for cheap at around $9.99 or $7.50 at WalMart sometime later... so do I buy now or wait it out?

Links:
      Pirates of Silicon Valley
      Lost
      Star Wars Episode III
      Transporter 2
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yeah, that $5.50 DVD bin at Wal-Mart is great for expanding one's DVD collection. A friend of mines picked up Evolution last week and I picked up the 1966 Batman movie today.

Comment

For a very brief period this past May or so, WalMart had a bunch of movie titles on sale for $4.98. I picked up Saturday Night Fever, Starman and Weekend At Bernie's for that price.

In the $5.50 bin, I've bought the following:

Crocodile Dundee
          Cocoon
          Cocoon 2: The Return
          Earth Girls Are Easy
          Batman
          (1966)
          Left Behind
          Total Recall
          What Dreams May Come

I'm sure there are a few more. I've bought plenty too from the $7 and $9 shelves. I'm more prone to buy from that $5.50 bin if the movies are organized nicely. Most of the time the discs are just thrown in a huge bin and you like pick up many copies of the same movie over and over again while looking for that one jewel that may be in there.

As for $1 DVDs, by all means avoid Rescue From Gilligan's Island. The movie is campy to begin with and is kind of fun and also wraps up the 3 hour tour after 30+ years in reruns. However the dirt cheap discount version of this movie totally sucks quality-wise. First off, it seems the DVD firm did not get the rights to use the music in the movie... like the movie just starts.. no credits, no familar song... ditto in the end... no ending credits or song. Just the movie. The print itself looks like they recorded it off a second generation VHS tape. It's very bad. And too bad for fans of the TV series.

Hopefully the firm that is releasing the series to boxed sets will bring the 3 or was it 4 made for TV movies on Gilligan's Island in a presentable format.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One day I went to Costco and there was the complete set of "The Lord of the Rings" on sale. I bought them all that day. That was some bucks! All the behind the scenes stuff is terrific. I've gotten alot of enjoyment out of the purchase so am pleased.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I went to Costco this morning to pick up the movie Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for $19. Tonight I went to Wal-Mart to buy the TV series version which they are selling for $26 but they also sell the movie version for $15.

Comment

Just got back from WalMart tonight. Bought 2 copies of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at $14.98 retail... one for myself the other for a friend. I am surprised that WalMart is lower than Costco in this case.

WalMart's online price is $16.98 for the same movie. Ditto at Amazon.com, which I may have gone with had I not seen it for less at WalMart.

Funny thing is my friend also wanted Fever Pitch which was selling for $17.98. Apparently the store did not stock too many copies. All copies of that movie were gone when I got there at 7 tonight. I think WalMart underestimated the inventory for this apparent video hit.

Hitchhikers had the big display case, and half the copies there were gone as well as most on the regular display shelves (next to Fever Pitch). There were a few copies of the widescreen version, but plentiful on the full-screen.

I got my copy of Lost: Season 1 for $38.98 from Amazon.com yesterday in the mail after ordering it on the first day it came out. Free shipping and no GET. Today at WalMart that set is selling for $47.99.

So what holds true is that to get you in the first week, the prices are lower, but by the second week they spring up until another special sale promo or more than likely Christmas may spike the prices down.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Picked up The Interpreter from Wal-Mart for $15, while Sam's Club and Costco are selling it for $18 and there is a two-for-one pack with another movie going for $26.

I was really in the mood to buy Stargate SG-1 Season 8 and Star Trek: Nemesis Special Edition. Wal-Mart had Stargate SG-1 for $45. Sam's Club and Costco had the 10 Star Trek Special Edition movies for $110 or something like that. I already have the first 9.

Comment

"DVD purchase stories"

ok.

ahem...

One day, while it was nice and sunny here in Hawaii, (a good omen) I walked into Ross and bought some dvd's. They were reasonably priced. I walked out.

the end.

Comment

Heh...I think I like your story the best so far.

Now on to my sad one about the time I bought the John Wayne DVD Mclintock!

Well, the video quality was terrible, the blacks were crushed, it was over saturated and it just sucked in almost every way. I was going to return it and complain, but a friend told me that they were all like that because there is some sort of squabble over the original print of that movie. So I got a copy of it from Netflix just to see, and sure enough, it sucked too.

Then, I thought that I would try to run it through a tbc to correct the levels and then dub myself a copy......and then I just lost interest in that project.....but I'm still pissed and I want the John Wayne family, or whoever to get it together and give us John Wayne fans a clean print of this film.

Comment

When Disney's Ice Princess came out I bought a copy of so that I could watch the behind-the-scenes portion. Well, the movie is very cheesy but it does have a good message. I was very dissapointed that there were no behind-the-scenes/how-the-movie-was-made portion! I wanted to see this because one of the skaters in the movie is from Boston and skates out of the Boston Skating Club. There were auditions (which my daughter didn't know about) here in Boston and several hundred folks tried out.

Anyhoos, what blew me away in this movie is the fictitious name of the skating club! Imagine my surprise when I saw that my sirname is the name of the skating club (Harwood Skating Club) and up on the wall of the skating club! My sirname isn't common and I thought it was just odd to see it up on film li'dat!
                        Last edited by EastCoastTropics; October 5, 2005, 12:56 AM.
                        Lovena

Comment

We got the girls "Robots" this week. Unlike other DVD purchases, this one has no override for us to get by the anti pirating msg (hello! we BOUGHT the dvd!) and the previews such as Garfield belching. Too gross. Why should we have to watch that every time?
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

During my lunch break I went to Costco in the hopes of picking up Threshold or Invasion which is released today. Or maybe Surface which was released last week. Costco didn't have any of these three former TV series.

It was however selling the Star Trek The Original Series at $45 per season which used to run around $100 per season. Picked up the second season for today.

Comment

I'm bad I rent and burn to watch later!

But I did buy The Toy Story 2 movie! OUCH 20.00
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                              X