DVD purchase stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD purchase stories

As a small child I was a huge fan of the 'Amos 'n Andy' tv series. I recently found the complete boxed set; 75 Episodes on 16 DVDs with 370+ Radio Shows on 4 CDs!

I was also looking for 2 specific episodes of the old, silent, Our Gang comedies. They were out of print. A kind soul, whom I've never met, sent them to me. Pure gold!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
      I'm bad I rent and burn to watch later!

But I did buy The Toy Story 2 movie! OUCH 20.00
      someone send the cops to oregon!

Comment

for anyone interested in asian movies, i usually buy alot of asian movies from yesasia.com. toys n joys has alot of movie too, but sometimes the quality is questionable.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I strictly only buy music concert DVDs (not music videos), which to me have much more replay value than movies. Actually, music in general applies to this rule. Very few movies can I watch more than a few times, let alone own a DVD of it.

That said, I try to make a wise purchasing decision by doing online research first, such as reading customer reviews on the likes of Amazon.com. Then I'll head down to the neighborhood brick'n'mortar to look for it. Sam Goody in Ala Moana has pretty good SALE prices on music DVD's, which is surprising for a mall store. Borders and Circuit City have great selection and prices as well.

Don't you hate it when you buy a CD or DVD on impulse in a store, then you take it home to watch/listen to it and it sucks?! Sometimes you can't help it though. The cover deceptively LOOKED so good!

Should've read the online reviews first!

Right now I have an eye out for this Al Di Meola Concert DVD... most of the reviewers gave it 4 or 5 star ratings!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai...is it one of these?

Comment

Tutusue, why yes! half.com.. I should've known!

In fact, I just bought something else off eBay last week.. whatta' deal!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Tutusue, why yes! half.com.. I should've known![...]
                Hopefully it wasn't the $35. DVD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  We got the girls "Robots" this week. Unlike other DVD purchases, this one has no override for us to get by the anti pirating msg (hello! we BOUGHT the dvd!) and the previews such as Garfield belching. Too gross. Why should we have to watch that every time?

i think that was for 9.44 at Pearl City Wal Mart (the Robots movie)

Comment

reviews on amazon are pretty good. i use www.imdb.com or www.rottentomatoes.com for movie reviews or kfccinema.com for asian movie reviews.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I remember getting my first DVD player 6 or 7 years ago for $600 along with the Matrix, now they are dirt cheap. I currently get most of my movies used from Blockbuster . They have a good return policy if in 30 days the DVD fails you can get a replacement. When the stores are having deals (like now) you can get say, Sahara for $7.00 or better.

If you don't need it right away, go the used route and save money.

BTW... does anyone else notice that the older DVDs like the Matrix had no ads or previews like current DVDs? They went right to the menus.
                      Last edited by alohabear; August 24, 2006, 05:57 AM.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Picked up Stargate SG-1 Season 9, and Seasons 1 and 2 of The Abbott and Costello Show.

Was thinking about buying the Collector's Edition of X-Men 3 which was selling for $23 at Costco but I passed on it for the time being.

Comment

Picked up X-Men #3 from Wal-Mart for $13. For $19 you could get a 2nd DVD with other extras stuff in it. Didn't read on that box to see what those extra stuff was.

Comment

I have stopped purchasing dvds ever since hd-dvd and blu-ray starting coming out. Of course hd-dvd is dead now although you can find some great deals for them. But my Blu-ray collection is up to about 120 and average price is about $12.60 each. Just wish I could find a way to sale off all the standard dvds I purchased on hd-dvd and blu-ray.

Comment

I have been in hog heaven now that the "Rockford Files" have been coming out season by season on DVD. We usually buy them from eBay as we don't feel Amazon deserves our money since they still support animal fighting magazines but that's another story.

We get lots of DVD boxed sets as gifts from the IL's that they think we are interested in like all the "Lord Of the Rings" which doesn't interest us so we gave them away to our good friend glossyp who loves that whole series. All the others they give us we just donate to UCP or whoever is picking up.

Comment

Working...
                              X