Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methamphetamine

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Hawaii is the capital of Meth. It has found its way into our neighborhoods.

(from the thread moving to oahu. need advice.)
    Interestingly, lots of places say they're the meth capital of the world. I don't want to joke (too much) about a killer drug like meth, but they can't all be right...

Re: Methamphetamine

Hi Glen! Thanks for the Link. I read. I disagree. I'm not proud to say that Hawai'i is the Mecca for Ice. For me it is. Perhaps it's because our population is a big difference from the cities that were listed. Our islands have been hit really bad. There is no one who can honestly say they have not been affected by meth. It has hit our neighborhoods. All islands have had their share in it's devastation. It does not have pity nor target any one social class. Once used, you become an addict.

Those that deny there is a problem are fooling themselves. It is the worst drug known today. I truly believe that a user can not rehabilitate on their own. Intervention is the key and education mandatory for our future generation. I have lost someone very dear. He does not want the help and denies there's a problem...many of them do.

Take a look around your neighborhood. Take a drive to the supermarket and "see" those who are extra skinny, with toothless or decayed teeth, eyes bulging out and can't keep still. There are other signs but I've made my point.

Hawai'i is unfortunately, the City of Crystal Methamphetamine.

Get involve and fight back in your communities.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Hi Glen! Thanks for the Link. I read. I disagree. I'm not proud to say that Hawai'i is the Mecca for Ice. For me it is. Perhaps it's because our population is a big difference from the cities that were listed. Our islands have been hit really bad. There is no one who can honestly say they have not been affected by meth. It has hit our neighborhoods. All islands have had their share in it's devastation. It does not have pity nor target any one social class. Once used, you become an addict.

Those that deny there is a problem are fooling themselves. It is the worst drug known today. I truly believe that a user can not rehabilitate on their own. Intervention is the key and education mandatory for our future generation. I have lost someone very dear. He does not want the help and denies there's a problem...many of them do.

Take a look around your neighborhood. Take a drive to the supermarket and "see" those who are extra skinny, with toothless or decayed teeth, eyes bulging out and can't keep still. There are other signs but I've made my point.

Hawai'i is unfortunately, the City of Crystal Methamphetamine.

Get involve and fight back in your communities.
      I think Hawai'i just might have more people impacted by ice than other cities like San Diego because there is a smaller population in Hawai'i. So per capita, there are probably more people affected (including families) than anywhere else. The cost to society is horrible. If you ever have a chance to rent or buy a house or apartment or condo for REALLY cheap, better find out if it was once used as a meth lab, because even after a former drug lab has been decontaminated, people can still suffer from health issues brought on by the toxic chemicals used to cook ice.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Glen put up this thread earlier in the day. It reflects how society is thinking about not saying or trying to convey something to combat this menace of Society. Is there anybody out there who can give some input on how "you" feel regarding "Meth" in Hawai'i?

We need solutions.
        What better way to get feedback than by those who live and want our islands to be rid of this devastating illegal drug...all illegal drugs for that matter.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Interestingly, lots of places say they're the meth capital of the world. I don't want to joke (too much) about a killer drug like meth, but they can't all be right...
          Yeah, that always gets me too. Everywhere and everyone from everywhere wants to say their state/area/etc is the meth capital.. I don't get it.. Californians claim it.. Oregonians claim it.. Hawaiians claim it.

My first gut reaction is it probably most definietely belongs to California (that being said, I wouldn't doubt that MANY other places have a similar chronic problem!) - but Meth Capital! C'mon.. only one.. and California seems the most highly suspect.

Comment

The debate about which place is the worst seems rather irrelevant.

There's no question at all, though, that "batu" is widely and relatively cheaply available on Oahu and almost every man I know under the age of 35 uses it, some on a daily basis, some now and then.

I'm lucky. I tried the stuff and it doesn't really appeal to me, unlike the old pharmaceutical version of methampetamine which I loved. Probably still would, if I could get some.

Because of that experience I have much sympathy for those who are in love with the glass pipe, although I'm deeply saddened to see some young men who are so totally in its grip that they are very unlikely to see the age of forty.

I do think it's extremely unfortunate that pakololo has been made so difficult to obtain. It's a much better drug than crystal meth, probably even better than alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
              The debate about which place is the worst seems rather irrelevant.

There's no question at all, though, that "batu" is widely and relatively cheaply available on Oahu and almost every man I know under the age of 35 uses it, some on a daily basis, some now and then.

I'm lucky. I tried the stuff and it doesn't really appeal to me, unlike the old pharmaceutical version of methampetamine which I loved. Probably still would, if I could get some.

Because of that experience I have much sympathy for those who are in love with the glass pipe, although I'm deeply saddened to see some young men who are so totally in its grip that they are very unlikely to see the age of forty.

I do think it's extremely unfortunate that pakololo has been made so difficult to obtain. It's a much better drug than crystal meth, probably even better than alcohol.
              Applause! Applause! Albert, thank you for saying it like it is! Takes guts to have said it so truthfully...however, I'll stick to my alcohol binges once or twice a month. Ok, three times a month. LOL

Lynn

Comment

While stuck in traffic today, I was listening to the radio about this very topic. From what I remember, the discussion was about a particular state, I think it was Oklahoma, that now requires a doctor's perscription for Sudafed, which is an over-the-counter decongestant that contains one of the active ingredients in crystal meth. Supposedly, this restriction has helped curbed some of the crystal meth issues in the state.

Do you think this would help derail the meth issues in Hawaii?

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                  While stuck in traffic today, I was listening to the radio about this very topic. From what I remember, the discussion was about a particular state, I think it was Oklahoma, that now requires a doctor's perscription for Sudafed, which is an over-the-counter decongestant that contains one of the active ingredients in crystal meth. Supposedly, this restriction has helped curbed some of the crystal meth issues in the state.

Anything what other States are doing to combat the problem and seeing results is good enough to be looked into. I believe Hawaii has already started similar rules and regulations in the distribution and purchasing of medications and other chemicals used in the process of crystal meth.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3

If I was the maker of Sudafed, I would figure out a way to reformulate the cold pills to eliminate the pseudoephedrine completely. Then their market share wouldn't get so restricted. Cold pills like Contac don't have pseudoephedrine in them, so my guess is rather than go through the hassle of going to a doctor to get a prescription for what should be an OTC medicine, as a consumer (and not one who needed the pills for a different purpose than to stop a drippy nose), I would just switch to another brand of cold medicine, like Contac. And the makers of Sudafed and their shareholders would get very, very cranky. If I'm going to take the time and expense to go see a doctor for an Rx, gimme one that'll really clear up my congested head! Maybe something with a little codeine...

Of course if the makers of Sudafed took pseudoephedrine out of their formulation, could they still call themselves Sudafed? Maybe "Sudafed Light"?

Up here in WA, they've removed Sudafed from the open shelves and you have to prove you're over 18 and they only allow you to buy one package at a time. I suppose people could go from store to store trying to get enough Sudafed to cook with, but that would get really boring after a while.

Miulang

P.S. I remember when Contac first came out on the market and everybody got all freaked out because one of the ingredients was a belladonna compound. I can just picture some wannabe addict trying to figure out which colored eency little balls in each capsule were the belladona and which weren't!
                    Last edited by Miulang; August 5, 2005, 05:46 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Major DRUG BUST (CRYSTAL METH), in Hawaii today! According to reports by the police, nineteen were arrested. One, a Rancher on the Big Island. Meth was smuggled by cattle feed containers and inside of cars. It is a step into the right direction.

Unfortunately, the same laws don't apply to the street dealers. Hopefully, someday soon it will. Our children and their children needs all our cooperation in fighting this problem!!!!!

To the agencies that apprehended all those involved in this operation, mahalo!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

albert wrote: I do think it's extremely unfortunate that pakololo has been made so difficult to obtain. It's a much better drug than crystal meth, probably even better than alcohol.

don't wanna rub more people the wrong way, especially 1stlady since i understand where you're coming from, (and i haven't been following this thread so if i'm missing something that was already posted--sorry) but i feel the same way. i know the word "better" is a pretty loaded term (no pun intended) but i think it's safe to say that it's not anywhere as addictive as many of the other stuff, e.g. meth. not speaking for anyone but myself, smoking pakalolo used to be so much fun. of course, like anything else, it can be abused but that's true of so many things.

i think it's odd/curious/interesting how our society paints pakalolo as some evil gateway drug and yet alcohol flows like a river everywhere we look and we know what kind of impact that has had on so many millions of lives. just my two cents.
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

dayum... thatss da solution for erryting at hand; take a way our beer and replace it wit da spleef at da football games!

Comment

Heh everyone. I was just reading all the posts on "Ice" and the problems. Being from Hawaii and still in Hawaii, I can truly say that there is a problem with the locals using "Ice". For many reasons, locals are using and selling "Ice" in the neighborhoods.

The biggest problem about this drug is not the users, sellers or even makers. It is the kids. I know a lot of families with kids involved in this epidemic. It is an epidemic with no end in sight.

Want to know how you can help? Stand up and do some interventing. Use what God gave you and say something. I know I have. No matter if I know the user, seller or even maker, I have spoken up. Why you might say? For the kids and their futures. You might want to give up your life, but they shouldn't have to suffer along.

To me that is the biggest problem. One voice can make a difference as long as it goes in the right direction. Start something and good things will follow.

God Bless You All...There still is hope!

Comment

Drug addict for 10yrs (meth and grass being my fav) and sober for 8yrs the 12 steps of AA saved my ass.If you have a problem or would like to understand someone who does the big book of alchoholics anonymous can be a great help.AA forums could come in handy as well.Oh and hooked on meth or hooked on alchohol are the same desease
                              Is pakalolo the hawaiin name for pot? That would be a sad thing to hear thats it's hard to get since it grows so wonderfully in your climate.I would rather see a bunch of slackers with the munchies than the skinny paranoid meth users.

Comment

Working...
                              X