Serenity: no lie, I spy sci fi I wanna try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serenity: no lie, I spy sci fi I wanna try

We just watched Serenity thanks to Netflix. Having not watched the series, and being somewhat skeptical about the level of fanaticism Whedon tends to attract, I was worried about being disappointed. So, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

There were definite hints that there was backstory from the series being referenced, but the film absolutely stood on its own, even with no familiarity or understanding of the original show. The plot was really secondary (and just shy of overwrought) -- it was the characters, the language, the clear scifi-western hybrid concept that made it work.

If the feel of the film is true to the TV series, we're interested in catching up. Whether or not we'll ever actually find the time to do so, however, is another matter.

Comment

hey, i'm glad to hear that you liked the movie. for die hard fans of firefly, they're pretty disappointed that serenity didn't do better at the box office and through dvd sales. why? biggest reason is that they want the tv series to continue and that ain't gonna happen if sales are small. i personally would love to see the tv series continue but it looks very unlikely now. the series had some very interesting characters and very funny lines!

(i'll probably be selling my season 1 set on craigslist soon.)
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I cajoled four friends who had not heard of Joss nor seen any of his stuff into seeing Serenity. In one case, I made a bet and my friend lost and as a penalty had to go see Serenity. They were all really dismissive of the "space western" before seeing it. After seeing it, all three got the DVD of Firefly and are really sad that there is no more to be seen of this 'verse. They can't believe they missed it while it was airing either because they hadn't heard of it or because they dismissed it as bad sci-fi without seeing it.

Strangely, the harshest criticism I've seen of Serenity came from die-hard Firefly fans who were distressed at some of the differences between the movie and the tv series and the killing of certain characters.

Comment

Actually, I think Whedon had hoped Serenity would be a trilogy.

It's a shame it didn't do well, I thought it (the series and the movie) was great.

Though the series was much better than the movie.

Comment

i liked the movie. i liked river the best becuase she kicked butt. i bought the dvd and the outtakes made me laugh the most. i bought king kong, but i fell asleep in the beginning i have to try and watch it again when i'm not so tired
            Chewy Chicken

Comment

I blame fox for airing it out of order (the tv series that is) i'm sure it wouldn't have gotten canceled if they would have aired it in order
              808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
              kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
              http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
              X