Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    177

    Default Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Do they exist in Hawaii?

    I recall reading or hearing once that they don't exist in Hawaii.. but.. hmm.. whats that all about? (Gotta be myth!)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Simple answer: mosquitos yes, snakes no, unless they hitchhike on a plane from Guam or are smuggled in by idjits on the Mainland who should know better.

    Miulang

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,169

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Except for those little blind burrowing snakes -- the ones that look like earthworms until they open their mouths! They probably got brought in in the soil around some potted plants. Saw a few at UH when the gardeners were working. Weird little guys.

    Edit: Here's a photo of one of those blind snakes.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; August 9th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    the hills of Kalihi
    Posts
    946

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    No question whatever about mosquitos! Plenty of them. I don't know why they couldn't just drink my blood without leaving itchy poison afterwards.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    and another question about mosquitos.. where do they usually bite?

    in brazil.. they almost always bite on the toes or fingers and nowhere else.. in the philippines its almost always on the legs and arms. In the mainland, just about anywhere.. they are so mixed there like the people, huh?

    Here in Seoul.. I often get bit right on the face.. often while sleeping! grrr!!

    how about in Hawaii.. where often do you usually get your mosquito bites??

  6. #6

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Ankles. Neatly turned-out thin-skinned ankles. I have seven cans of OFF around the house, and I still forget to use the stuff to keep the no-see-ums away.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Personally I have yet to meet a mosquito with a discerning palate. As long as they find uncovered skin they see a buffet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue
    Personally I have yet to meet a mosquito with a discerning palate. As long as they find uncovered skin they see a buffet.
    I have to disagree with you tutu -

    I can go to my wifes farm and come back with 20 welts.
    My wife and I can walk holding hands and she doesn't get bit nearly as much as me.

    None of her other family members get bit nearly as much as me when they go up there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Mosquito repellants -

    1. I've heard eating lots of garlic products makes your body odor not as appealing to them.
    2. Citranella Candles and Citranella plants if you have access to them
    3. Mosquito punks (the coils)
    4. Mosquito Tents
    5. Bug Sprays such as "Off"
    6. Avon "Skin so Soft"
    7. Keeping puddles of water from accumulating around your properties.

    Anyone else have any others?

    I don't get bit nearly as much on Oahu as I do on the Big Island!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    Mosquito repellants -

    1. I've heard eating lots of garlic products makes your body odor not as appealing to them.
    2. Citranella Candles and Citranella plants if you have access to them
    3. Mosquito punks (the coils)
    4. Mosquito Tents
    5. Bug Sprays such as "Off"
    6. Avon "Skin so Soft"
    7. Keeping puddles of water from accumulating around your properties.

    Anyone else have any others?

    I don't get bit nearly as much on Oahu as I do on the Big Island!
    I eat plenty of garlic. No help there.
    Avon Skin so Soft don't do squat.
    Extra strength Off works good.
    Surprisingly, those little personal electronic skeeter thingies work. If I forget my Off, I turn one of these things on.

    My wife and daughter seldom get bit while I get blitzed. Mostly around my legs, but I guess they run out of biting room and get me on my arms and sometimes the face. My wife likes to smack the ones on my face and forehead.

    After my encouter with "Black Knights", while camping at Hovenweep Nat'l Monument in CO, skeeter bites can't compare. Black Knights, as they were called by our host, are biting gnats that hover in thick clouds. They attack any exposed skin. Some feel them right away, others like me start seeing welts a couple days later. Almost every square inch from my knees down to my ankles had a welt and itched relentlessly for almost a week.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    No snakes, unless you consider earthworms. Totally harmless worms.

    As for mosquitos, still trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. If I got $1 for every mosquito bite that I got, I would be a very wealthy dude!!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    As for mosquitos, still trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. If I got $1 for every mosquito bite that I got, I would be a very wealthy dude!!!
    You can only do your part in your own yard and hope the neighbors have the same consideration. If you got the bucks, there is a contraption that attracts and kills skeeters. It uses propane and produces carbon dioxide, which is what the skeeters are attracted to. It draws them into a recepticle then zaps them. Just set it up in your backyard, set it and forget it. Oh, it'll set you back at least a couple hundred bucks, but is reported to work very well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Thanks for reporting on that mosquito trap. Considering really getting that thing since we have about 11K+ of brush. Brush means trees and trees mean mosquitos. Ya, we can get rid of the brush, but it's the entire back coastline of all of our neighbors!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Hawaii does have snakes.
    ...Only one snake lives on land in Hawaii, the tiny Brahminy blind snake, which looks like a worm. Yellow-bellied sea snakes, about 3 feet long, are sometimes found in Hawaii waters, but only rarely.

    http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/14/news/story12.html

    Yellow Bellied Sea Snakes.... Scary! I wonder how many of us have seen one of these... only to mistake it for an eel?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,169

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    As for mosquitos, still trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. If I got $1 for every mosquito bite that I got, I would be a very wealthy dude!!!
    Some guys in Florida have come up with a cheap mosquito-control solution -- the Skeeter Bag. You attach a net to a regular box fan, and just keep it running all the time. Mosquitoes get sucked in, are trapped in the net, and die. Easy.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Maybe there is a snake here, now....

    "Updated at 12:03 p.m., Friday, April 18, 2008

    Possible snake sighting at Marine Corps Hawaii base


    Marine Corps Base Hawaii received a report of a possible snake sighting on base at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

    A base resident described a greenish-brown snake approximately two feet in length. Marine Corps Base Hawaii officials contacted the State Department of Agriculture Snake Interdiction Group after receiving the report."



    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80418047
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

  17. #17

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Maybe there is a snake here, now....

    "Updated at 12:03 p.m., Friday, April 18, 2008

    Possible snake sighting at Marine Corps Hawaii base


    Marine Corps Base Hawaii received a report of a possible snake sighting on base at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

    A base resident described a greenish-brown snake approximately two feet in length. Marine Corps Base Hawaii officials contacted the State Department of Agriculture Snake Interdiction Group after receiving the report."
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80418047
    Yup, probably a BTS that hitched a ride on a transport from Guam. Not good if it settles on base as there's a good sized bird sactuary near the rifle range.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    oh man~ Nobody ever told me about the bird sanctuary in the area and I know people that work on that base. Thanks for the heads-up.

    Big bummer....hoping they catch the thing.

    People that live Aikahi, Keep a lookout!
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    I have not heard another report about the snake seen in base housing of Kaneohe Marine Corps. Anyone hear any update?
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I have not heard another report about the snake seen in base housing of Kaneohe Marine Corps. Anyone hear any update?
    I second that, even if this is two years later

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Wink Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
    I second that, even if this is two years later
    Sorry gang....

    A Corn Snake was found in Kaneohe, on Kahekili hwy. pecked at by a chicken after being run over - about 5 years ago.

    Around the same time, a kid who was staying IN kANEOHE but who lived on the big island, reported opening his suitcase in Hilo and there was a garter snake inside!

    There be snakes in Hawaii!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Except for those little blind burrowing snakes -- the ones that look like earthworms until they open their mouths! They probably got brought in in the soil around some potted plants. Saw a few at UH when the gardeners were working. Weird little guys.

    Edit: Here's a photo of one of those blind snakes.
    Ah yes, the Hawaii Blind Snake. I've seen them on Oahu and the Big Island. At first they look like a black earthworm, but if you look closely it really is a tiny snake.

    http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...0-%20Blind.htm

    If you live in Hawaii long enough and you root around in your gardens frequently enough, you're bound to see an Brahminy Blind Snake (Ramphotyhlops braminus). If you do ever happen to catch glimpse of these worm-looking vertebrates, you'll be know they are female. Its the only known parthenogenic snake. That means that one snake can populate an island by laying unfertilized eggs that hatch to become virtual female clones. Its a great adaptation that has enabled island existence of other species (notably the geckos). Sometime in the 1980's the blind snake was introduced to the islands of Hawaii in potting soil from plants (probably from the Philippines). These small snakes with tiny eye-spots, eat small termites, ants and other arthropods. As termites and ants are also introduced animals, these snakes pose no great threat to ecosystems in Hawaii.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Sorry gang....

    A Corn Snake was found in Kaneohe, on Kahekili hwy. pecked at by a chicken after being run over - about 5 years ago. There be snakes in Hawaii!
    Which begs the joke: Why did the Chicken cross the road? To eat the snake!

    Why did the snake cross the road? To get away from the Chicken!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •