Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you say are the TOP 5 celebrities with Hawaiian connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would you say are the TOP 5 celebrities with Hawaiian connection?

Athletes Bryan Clay and Brian Viloria could be on the list. Probably not top 5, but maybe top 20 or thereabouts.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I considered them, but while I don't question their success in their fields, I do question their status as "celebrities." Of course Daniel Inouye is a more notable politician than Barak Obama, but Obama's a celebrity, whereas Inouye probably isn't. Likewise Olin Kreutz and Kimo von Oelhoffen, who have both been very, very successful but who probably don't make it into the "celebrity" category. That's one reason I said this is a weird question.

Another is this: What does "Hawaii connections" mean? Wayne Brady, James Hetfield, and John Travolta are all married to people from Hawaii, so do they have Hawaii connections? If so, you gotta count Travolta and probably discount Kelly Preston!
      Last edited by scrivener; August 9, 2005, 12:28 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
        Who would you say are the TOP 5 celebrities with a connection to Hawaii?

Braddah Iz

Steve Case

Michelle Wie

Keanu Reeves

Daniel Inouye

Reggie aka pinakboy
        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
        Recipe Tube TV!
        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Keanu Reeves is mentioned often.. whats his connection?

Adam Sandler seems to be making a few movies with Hawaii as a center.. I heard he has a strong attraction to Hawaii.. anyone know about that one?

Comment

Keanu Reeves is mentioned often.. whats his connection?
            Has a Hawaiian first name. His last name he got from his dad, whom Keanu refuses to communicate with and who is a member of the Reeves family of Kuliouou Valley on 'Oahu. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              She gave us one CD of his songs she wen burn, but I neva listen yet.
              Support Hawaiian music by BUYING IT, not listening to burned copies you get from friends...

Comment

Adam Sandler seems to be making a few movies with Hawaii as a center.. I heard he has a strong attraction to Hawaii.. anyone know about that one?
                ain't no story behind it other than he likes it here and tries to steer projects in this direction, as does Barrymore and Diaz.
                (Saw Cameron one day at da beach prepping to take surf lessons a few days ago...Thot to myself. eh, who dat haole girl wen spok me li dat... she look familiar...)

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

Originally posted by Miulang
                  She gave us one CD of his songs she wen burn, but I neva listen yet.
                  Support Hawaiian music by BUYING IT, not listening to burned copies you get from friends...
                  But why would Miulang buy it not knowing, like me, who Jack Johnson is or what kind of music he's in to? Her friend turned her on to some song samples, which then provided Miulang with da opportunity and da option to turn around and buy his CDs -- IF she liked his music.

I no shame admit that I do that too for friends here on da mainland -- haoles and locals alike -- who would otherwise have no exposure to da various Hawaiian music that I buy for myself. I consider it a way of sharing my mana'o and aloha. As a result, what usually happens is the Hawaiian musicians that I recommend to my friends end up benefitting exponentially from my initial purchase of their CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    exponentially

I am becoming more impressed.

Comment

I no shame admit that I do that too for friends here on da mainland
                      Hey, whatever floats your boat... It sounds nice to say that the people you burn music for will turn around and buy the CDs of the artists, but in reality not all of them do that. If you burn a CD, you're taking money out of the artists' pockets - plain and simple. Support Hawaiian music by BUYING it, not burning it.

Comment

Hey, whatever floats your boat... It sounds nice to say that the people you burn music for will turn around and buy the CDs of the artists, but in reality not all of them do that.
                        Wow, so you must know all of my friends too, then. You must really get around. Introduce yourself next time you're out my way.

I'm not speaking for anyone other than me and my personal friends. What I told you before is what I myself do. I'd rather not be so pretentious as to think that I know what everybody else does.

If you burn a CD, you're taking money out of the artists' pockets - plain and simple. Support Hawaiian music by BUYING it, not burning it.
                        It's not that plain and simple to me. There are shades and colors and nuances beyond the black-and-white absolute solution you're trying to cubbyhole me into. Try reading my last post again. The "benefitting exponentially" part might sink in the second time around. If not, aswhy hahd. I ain't gonna sweat it. I don't blindly burn all of my CDs and then turn around and dilute the market with them. I pick and choose certain exceptional songs that I think personal friends might enjoy, which then might lead to our trying to put it all together at our next kanikapila session.

You might check your own boat for leaks first before trying to sink others. You might end up sinking all alone and without a life raft, which again, I ain't gonna be sweating over.

Okay, I'm pau with this off-topic tangent.

Comment

You might check your own boat for leaks first before trying to sink others. You might end up sinking all alone and without a life raft, which again, I ain't gonna be sweating over.
                          Don't expect you to sweat over me. Wouldn't ask you for help anyway. And I'm simply voicing an opinion, not trying to "sink others," so back off my sack.

From my experience being in a band, and having numerous friends currently working in bands - there is NO benefit to the artist from having their music distributed for free without their consent. If they wanted you to burn their music and pass it around to friends, they could make it available without charge on the Internet, or add wording in the liner notes along the lines of "feel free to copy our tunes and share them with the world."

Dance around it all you want, but my point remains the same. If you want to truly support Hawaiian music, BUY the albums. Don't burn them.

And now, to appease the big bad Admin and attempt at keeping this thread on topic - how could Steve Case be considered a celebrity? A mogul when it comes to business, sure, but a celebrity?

Here's a few more names:

Jasmine Trias (love her or hate her, lots of people recognize her)
                          Sid Fernandez
                          BJ Penn
                          Ellison Onizuka
                          Salevaa Atisanoe
                          Last edited by Palolo Joe; August 10, 2005, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Braddah IZ
                            Don Ho
                            Jack Lord
                            Tom Selleck
                            Bette Midler
                            Dan Inouye

Comment

Has a Hawaiian first name. His last name he got from his dad, whom Keanu refuses to communicate with and who is a member of the Reeves family of Kuliouou Valley on 'Oahu. That's it.
                              His father is Hawaiian/Chinese. The grandmother lives in Puna, as do many relatives on that side of the family. Many people have memories of that hapa-haole boy and his sister visiting their relatives in Kalapana.

pax

Comment

Rell Sunn, Queen of Makaha

Comment

Working...
                                X