X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Aaron:
    Here's the Year 2020 Harbor Plan summary for Kawaihae. Can you tell how much of it is still being followed? See especially the discussion under "Passenger Terminals". Are they proposing to build a Pier 4 for Superferry?
    To be brutally honest, not much of that plan is being followed. When you compare
    Kawaihae harbor to Hilo harbor, it is like night and day. For example
    Kawaihae can get very windy, causing ocean swells. Thus during winter
    time it will be very hard for HSF to operate. Literally speaking, HSF has said
    they will simply not operate service to Kawaihae when the weather is poor.

Incidentally, Hilo harbor has actual passenger ship facilities (for the cruise
    ship) passengers. Aside the reasons already mentioned (about the channel
    between Maui and the Big island), It simply makes more sense to service
    Hilo over Kawaihae.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

And that's the reason why I'm wondering if HSF's reasons for choosing Kawaihae over Hilo have to do more with a potential lucrative Defense Dept. contract than the more "commonsense" reasons to choose Hilo. Plus, isn't most of the farming done on the Hilo side anyway, so if there was going to be an economic benefit for the BI farmers using HSF to transport their produce and flowers, trucking everything over to the Kona side wouldn't make sense, either.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

BINGO! Give the gal a beer!

$45Million that's not something the State of Hawaii can easily afford unless some federal Block grants were involved primarily to service the military bases...just like H3!

Federal Block Grants were enabled to allow states to receive federal funding for individual public services. These grants allowed more direct funding of individual services rather than pork barrelling funds and hiding federal monies for unneccessary local projects.

And Aaron I'd love to see the Super Ferry service Hilo. It does make more sense that way however it makes less sense when taking the military into perspective.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          BINGO! Give the gal a beer!

$45Million that's not something the State of Hawaii can easily afford unless some federal Block grants were involved primarily to service the military bases...just like H3!

Federal Block Grants were enabled to allow states to receive federal funding for individual public services. These grants allowed more direct funding of individual services rather than pork barrelling funds and hiding federal monies for unneccessary local projects.

And Aaron I'd love to see the Super Ferry service Hilo. It does make more sense that way however it makes less sense when taking the military into perspective.
          just curious, is the military contract a done deal? if so, anyone know how much is it worth?

Comment

Yeah, you guys in Hilo should have it. For reasons I've already mentioned
            Hilo is ready for HSF right now. I have my doubts Kawaihae will ever be
            ready. Plus Hilo has better roads to handle the traffic influx from HSF.
            Unfortunately the military will probably ace us all out on this one .
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              just curious, is the military contract a done deal? if so, anyone know how much is it worth?
              I haven't heard anything officially.But it wouldn't surprise me that the military
              contracts with HSF to ferry their equipment to Kawaihae.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                Yeah, you guys in Hilo should have it. For reasons I've already mentioned
                Hilo is ready for HSF right now. I have my doubts Kawaihae will ever be
                ready. Plus Hilo has better roads to handle the traffic influx from HSF.
                Unfortunately the military will probably ace us all out on this one .
                One thing with the extensions heading up into Kaumana onto Saddle Road there may be a reason for HSF coming to Hilo.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

One thing with the extensions heading up into Kaumana onto Saddle Road there may be a reason for HSF coming to Hilo.
                  Absolutely, Hilo has the roads and harbor infrastructure. Its just unfornate
                  for us in West Hawaii, with poorer roads and harbor infrastructure that HSF
                  wants to service Kawaihae.

One facet to this situation. The roadway infrastructure in Kawaihae and the
                  surrounding area will improve. It is question of when, as there is a proposed
                  roadway that would go from Mud Lane to Waimea Airport to Kawaihae Harbor.
                  The problem is DHHL is holding up the Mud Lane to Waimea Airport portion.
                  There may be burials in the Waimea Airport to Kawaihae Harbor portion.
                  If things go all right, it may be another 6 years before this road begins construction.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I had always thought Hilo made more sense than Kawaihae on several levels, from calmer seas to infrastructure, but it seems clear that Hawaii Superferry feels that extending the route around to the east side of the Big Island would add way too much travel time, and thereby probably cancel out other daily trips.

Kawaihae and the Kona side certainly are as strong a draw for interisland visitors as Hilo, if not moreso, and their infrastructure shortcomings are a painful reality independentof the expected (but overall minor) additional impact Superferry passengers would bring. It'd be nice if its arrival prompts upgrades at the port and elsewhere on the west side.

When we visit the Big Island, we often drive up to Hawi/Kapaau, so Kawaihae works just fine for us!

Comment

• Superferry

Aloha to all those interested in the Hawaii Superferry. I'm new to this site and want to contribute. I've been an active proponent of obtaining an Environmental Impact Study (EIS) since the onset of the Superferry announcement and feel equiped to answer just about any question you have on the subject. If I do not know the answer that you seek, I will do my best to find it. I read so much misinformation about this issue and I think that I can offer some solid facts. Feel free to write and let's open up this discussion again. In my opinion this is not a done deal. However we all need to be informed and active to get what we want, no matter which "side" we are on.
                      Gentlewave

Comment

• Re: Superferry

try over here
                        http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ght=superferry

Been well discussed...

I'm for the superferry!

Comment

Many folks from Honolulu are in favor of the Superferry because they see it as a way to visit the neighbor islands with their vehicles. But few have really taken into consideration the impact that they will have on the islands they are visiting and what the actual costs will be to get there. The pricing for the Superferry was done two years ago and with increases in fuel there will be a huge increase over the charges that the Superferry originally quoted. Also did you know that a jet uses 500 gallons of fuel to travel between Kauai and Honolulu, while the projected consumption for the Superferry is 5943 gallons of marine diesel fuel.

Before you throw your weight in favor of the Superferry, dig a little deeper and find out the facts. They will surprise you.
                          Gentlewave

Comment

Originally posted by David H Dinner View Post
                            Many folks from Honolulu are in favor of the Superferry because they see it as a way to visit the neighbor islands with their vehicles. But few have really taken into consideration the impact that they will have on the islands they are visiting and what the actual costs will be to get there. The pricing for the Superferry was done two years ago and with increases in fuel there will be a huge increase over the charges that the Superferry originally quoted. Also did you know that a jet uses 500 gallons of fuel to travel between Kauai and Honolulu, while the projected consumption for the Superferry is 5943 gallons of marine diesel fuel.

Before you throw your weight in favor of the Superferry, dig a little deeper and find out the facts. They will surprise you.

Well, people from the neighbor islands can also visit Oahu with their vehicles. It's a two way operation.

As for fuel consumption, do you have any links? I wouldn't be surprised that the SF will consume more fuel for the same trip BUT you also have to compare that with how much more cargo SF can carry versus a jet. Then you can get meaningful statistics.

Comment

Never mind. I posted something and then decided to remove it. As Maddie likes to say: nothing here to see. Move along.
                              Last edited by LikaNui; October 24, 2006, 02:40 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• "It ain't over until it's over..."

According to today's Maui News, the judge presiding over the suit by 3 local groups to require an EIS for the Superferry may reconsider his ruling now that additional information has surfaced. Because the County also owns significant assets in the Kahului Harbor area, the judge is also allowing the County to join the suit requesting an EIS.

Waving a copy of the Aug. 22 edition of The Maui News, he [Judge August] asked Wynhoff about a map that showed how the Harbors Division plans to help Young Brothers continue to move less-than-containerload (LCL) shipments through Pier 2. The map showed changes to accommodate Superferry traffic that would touch Kaahumanu Avenue at two places.

August said he was “confused” because documents submitted to him did not show any changes to the “footprint” of the harbor. In particular, the documents submitted to the court don’t show changes likely to create secondary impacts on traffic on “a main artery.”

...The news story, he said, seemed to show that the state was acquiring new property from Alexander & Baldwin (the Old Kahului Store and the Kahului Railroad building) and planning “development” beyond the boundary of the harbor.

Wynhoff said he did not know of any development, although he acknowledged that use of public money to buy land would be a “trigger” for an environmental review.

He said, however, that as far as he knew, those plans were part of the 2030 master plan, for which a review process is to get under way this month.
                                Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X