This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

People, rather than bicker about what we don't like, why don't we propose reasonable solutions? Bickering is not going to yield solutions. It will only cause people to become more entrenched in their positions, trying to get things 100% their way. Let's get to the bottom of this. a) We need a good ferry system. b) Instead of bickering, let's hear what we're going to do to maximize its benefits while minimizing its problems.

Comment

• HI Sferry, Inc problem

beaker= - " People, rather than bicker about what we don't like, why don't we propose reasonable solutions? " -

"Reasonable solutions" ? This from the initiator of the term "rabid anti-ferry crowd". A bit from a pathetic twist to be sure.

"Reasonable solutions" to what problem or problems? Hawaii Superferry, Inc. is the problem. You and your "We" don't see it that way. You see the problem(s) as being those who are opposed to what you deem to be a solution, namely Hawaii Superferry Inc.
      ___ ___ ___ _
      - "a) We need a good ferry system. " -

Who is your "We"? None of the informed people with whom I've communcated in my community, and few of the uninformed adults with whom I've spoken about this topic, especially when it comes to the current proposed interisland ferry which the pro-ferry crowd is promoting.
      ___ ___ ___ _
      - " b) Instead of bickering, let's hear what we're going to do to maximize its benefits while minimizing its problems. " -

Too funny! ---> ' Let us be reasonable... (for instance?) For the sake of reason, let us assume Hawaii Superferry, Inc. benefits can outweigh its problems.' That's not reason, it's deception.

Assumptions are usually made for sake of convenience, not logic, not reason. Assumptions are declared to be facts for the sake of taking or maintaining control, not for the sake of seeking truth.
      Last edited by waioli kai; June 1, 2006, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• It ain't over until it's over...

Somehow, I suspect the upcoming public meetings between Superferry officials and the people of Maui that were mandated by the Legislature in order for Superferry to receive $20 million will be, shall we say, less than cordial?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe Maui should be left out of the route for now and just focus on Kauai and the Big Island. I sure wish the super ferry would come into Hilo
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Maybe Maui should be left out of the route for now and just focus on Kauai and the Big Island. I sure wish the super ferry would come into Hilo
            Eh Craig, even Kauai is getting worried now about the impact Superferry might have on Young Bros being able to ship less than full containers because of crowding in Nawiliwili Harbor once Superferry gets there. They're supposed to be holding informational meetings on Kauai sometime soon, too. At least Kauai has a little more breathing room than Maui does to try to figure out a way to fit everything that needs to be in Nawiliwili Harbor.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Craig, this is HSF's "excuse" why they won't service Hilo.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/routes.html

Why we don’t go to Hilo: A Honolulu to Hilo route would take 6 hours (vs. 4 to Kawaihae) and must operate through the rough Alenuihaha Channel. As a result, Hilo would cost more to serve, and would often be uncomfortably rough.

Here is the latest on my blog about HSF.
              http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/06/more-on-hsf.html
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Here's the schedule of State-mandated open-to-the-public informational meetings with Superferry representatives. The first one is tonight (6/19) in Kealakekua. There's a meeting in Kamuela tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. and one tomorrow night in Hilo at 7 p.m. . Craig, you going?

Miulang

Comment

http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=8610

Demonstrations planned against Superferry

By Associated Press

KAHULUI, Hawaii (AP) _ Paddlers, farmers, small-business owners and environmentalists plan to protest the Hawaii Superferry this week.

The demonstrators want Governor Lingle to delay ferry operations until studies on harbor impacts are completed.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                    http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=8610

Demonstrations planned against Superferry

By Associated Press

KAHULUI, Hawaii (AP) _ Paddlers, farmers, small-business owners and environmentalists plan to protest the Hawaii Superferry this week.

The demonstrators want Governor Lingle to delay ferry operations until studies on harbor impacts are completed.
                    Yeah, those danged uppity whacko liberal "politics of NO" people from Maui!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Yeah, those danged uppity whacko liberal "politics of NO" people from Maui!
                      In this case, these people protesting HSF are right on frankly. As far as I can
                      see this is not the politics of no, but the politics of no way HSF is not and
                      will not be ready for prime time.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

No protesters at last night's meeting.
                        A roomful of supporters, but zero protesters.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oh well I guess the nay sayers had their chance...
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I also think the schedule was communicated rather late, so opponents had a hard time gathering themselves together. Same won't happen on Maui, though. There should be some interesting discussions next week when the Superferry folks get to Maui,

Miulang

Comment

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...cal/local03.tx

This is the WHT article on the Super Ferry public hearing up in Waimea.
                              Apparanently things are moving so quickly on the HSF side of things
                              that service may start to Kawaihae as soon as 2008.

If I'm considered a naysayer, so be it. Except for Honolulu, none of
                              the other harbors HSF will be servicing are ready or will be ready
                              in time in my opinion. Take Kawaihae for example, the infrastructure
                              is not there for HSF. Worse yet, all the cars coming off of the HSF
                              are going to make Kawaihae junction (Of Highway 270 and Highway
                              19) a huge bottleneck (There is only one way out to Kona) It is bad enough now, traffic is already backing up already at peak time. I'm really steamed
                              that this is being literally shoved down our throats.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Well, Aaron, the people of Maui won't let you down. Council Chair Riki Hokama is planning to submit legislation tomorrow to slow down the progress of the Superferry on Maui. And I also expect some fireworks at the public meeting tonight and tomorrow night on Maui.

"...Maui County Council Chairman Riki Hokama will introduce a resolution Friday that calls for the Hawaii Superferry to postpone the start of its operations at Kahului Harbor until an update of the harbor master plan and an environmental review have been completed....

"...Hokama’s resolution "opposes the proposed commencement of operation of the Hawaii Superferry . . . at the Kahului Harbor, pending update of the Harbor Master Plan, preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 343, and construction of necessary improvements to adequately accommodate current harbor users and the Hawaii Superferry."

As reasons for the action, Hokama cites the impacts on Young Brothers that will spill over and affect local businesses. He also states that "questions remain regarding the impact of the Hawaii Superferry operation on traffic circulation, potential county costs, existing harbor users and other concerns."..."

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; June 22, 2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X