X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang
    I'm glad the Legislature decided it needed to have the DOT and Superferry folks hold 3 public hearings on each of the neighbor islands where the Superferry is planning to dock before it releases the $20 million for port infrastructure upgrades.
    That is absolutely excellent news...maybe now HSF will be more forthcoming
    with addressing the issues their service will bring to the neighbor islands.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
      That is absolutely excellent news...maybe now HSF will be more forthcoming
      with addressing the issues their service will bring to the neighbor islands.
      Unfortunately I don't get the impression that either side of the fight actually wants the issues to be addressed. The ferry wants to start running ASAP and force the gubmint to solve the infrastructure problems as they arise, and the ferry opponents want a mess so the ferry fails and they can cry "I-told-you-so!". The rest of us are stuck with a poor situation either way. We really need a good ferry system, but until there's a direct Maui-Hawaii route I'm a bit ambivalent. The whole thing is geared for the conveninence of Honoluluangeles, a place I don't care to go to at all.

Comment

I took a look at HSF's website http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/routes.html

and it doesn't look like (initially) they'll have a Kahului-Kawaihae
        service.That being said, I hope they really upgrade the infrastructure
        at Kawaihae to support this between 2007 and 2009 (when Kawaihae-
        Honolulu service is slated to start).
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I took a look at HSF's website http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/routes.html and it doesn't look like (initially) they'll have a Kahului-Kawaihae service.
          I don't think they will until the population here approaches that of Oahu.

Comment

So I'm down at the Kahului breakwater looking at the space around Pier 2 where Matson, NCL and Stooperferry will be duking it out for space come July of next year. One of the NCL liners was making a port of call at Pier 2 for a couple of days, and it's not the largest one that NCL has (that one is scheduled to dock in Nawiliwili in the next couple of days and then eventually get to Kahului at some point). There was also a Young Bros barge being offloaded on the same pier. Granted, the DOT will have to build out Pier 2 at the end in order to accommodate the Superferry, but I gotta tell you, even with Young Bros not taking less than container loads, those loads still have to be barged in someplace and there is zilch space for warehousing on the pier area, which means that those smaller pallets will have to be trucked somewhere away from the docks, which will add additional costs for the small business people. Maui will also lose business from Molokai, because for the Molokai businesses that now buy much of their fresh produce, etc. from Maui, it will be a whole lot cheaper to ship those things from Honolulu.

And I dunno what kine lolo people in the DOT signed an agreement with Garibaldi that says for each day after July 2007 that the Superferry doesn't have its infrastructure available, the State will have to fork over $18k EVERY DAY Knowing the State, they will provide some sort of dock for Superferry, but whether or not it is suitable (based on the acceptance criteria from Superferry) remains to be seen.

NCL ships are planning to dock at Kahului 6 days of the week, Young Bros will barge in 5 days a week, although Young Bros is thinking about cutting down on the number of barges weekly from 5 to 3 because they re losing about 24% of their square footage to the Superferry. So in the long run, the people of Maui will end up paying more for fewer services. Why isn't the State listening to the people of Maui?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=20230

KAHULUI – Kahului Harbor Master Steve Pfister fears that Hawaii Superferry will be “struggling” to survive only a month or two after launching unless changes are made to the state’s plan that has the interisland ferry operation sharing an already overflowing Pier 2 with Young Brothers Ltd.

“People will ride it first for fun. Whether they come back the second time, I doubt it,” said Pfister as he looked Monday morning over the harbor, where every berth on all three piers was occupied even without Superferry in the watery mix.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Soon as it makes it to the Big Island...

I'll be a regular with my car.

I was wondering if they are going to offer anything like a yearly pass or

"Frequent Floater" Miles

Comment

Oahu's "neighbor islands" Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

. .
                  --KAHULUI – Kahului Harbor Master Steve Pfister fears that Hawaii Superferry will be “struggling” to survive only a month or two after launching unless changes are made to the state’s plan that has the interisland ferry operation sharing an already overflowing Pier 2 with Young Brothers Ltd.--
                  --[B]“People will ride it first for fun. Whether they come back the second time, I doubt it,” [/B] said Pfister as he looked Monday morning over the harbor, where every berth on all three piers was occupied even without Superferry in the watery mix.--

--At this point, however, Superferry remains the straw that might break the harbor's back*.--

Has not the back of 'Aloha' already been broken, or, does it remain to be broken by cheap, minimal security, one-way interisland transport of our islands' destitute, homeless, needy humans, Hawaiian Americans all, or at least all who otherwise dwell on Oahu seek respite in the public, or otherwise, spaces on Oahu's "neighbor islands" neighborhoods.
                  * ' Young Brothers announced it would be forced to quit delivering or shipping partial container loads out of Kahului Harbor to help lessen the impacts of the impending loss of space. Because of protests by businesses on Maui and Molokai, the Public Utilities Commission has suspended the application until after public hearings in early July.'
                  . .
                  Last edited by waioli kai; May 31, 2006, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Re: Oahu's "neighbor islands" Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by waioli kai
                    . .
                    Has not the back of 'Aloha' already been broken, or, does it remain to be broken by cheap, minimal security, one-way interisland transport of our islands' destitute, homeless, needy humans, Hawaiian Americans all, or at least all who otherwise dwell on Oahu seek respite in the public, or otherwise, spaces on Oahu's "neighbor islands" neighborhoods.
                    Could you translate that into English or something?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Soon as it makes it to the Big Island...I'll be a regular with my car.
                      I would love to ride the ferry to Maui - that thing I can see out my window but can't get to - but it won't go there from here. Gee, thanks. Hopefully if it's successful it will eventually expand.
                      Last edited by beaker; May 31, 2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

--Could you translate that into English or something?--
                        How about a question?

Is there more room for urban and or economic refugees from the "American" culture on Hawaii Island? Whether "yes" or "no", how do you think they would likely get there with the most of their Earthly assets, that single asset of any momentary, practical value being a vehicle that can be driven out of the belly of Superferry.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                          Is there more room for urban and or economic refugees from the "American" culture on Hawaii Island?
                          I'm not sure what you're implying, but a "refugee" would probably fit right in out in Ocean View or the bowels of Puna.

Comment

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=20230
                            Kahului Harbor Master Steve Pfister fears that Hawaii Superferry will be “struggling” to survive only a month or two after launching
                            1) Exactly what are his business and educational qualifications for making such an assumption?
                            2) Doesn't the newspaper think an equal number of people would say just the opposite?
                            3) Does anyone really think the backers of the SuperFerry would invest tens of millions of their own dollars if they weren't 101% positive it would NOT be "struggling to survive" within the first month or two?
                            PuhLEEZE.

What's up with harbormasters these days? We've got one from Waianae running for a high political position, and now one from Maui who's suddenly an expert on big business.
                            And I'm the Queen of England.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              1) Exactly what are his business and educational qualifications for making such an assumption?
                              2) Doesn't the newspaper think an equal number of people would say just the opposite?
                              3) Does anyone really think the backers of the SuperFerry would invest tens of millions of their own dollars if they weren't 101% positive it would NOT be "struggling to survive" within the first month or two?
                              PuhLEEZE.

What's up with harbormasters these days? We've got one from Waianae running for a high political position, and now one from Maui who's suddenly an expert on big business.
                              And I'm the Queen of England.
                              *sigh* I think the point the harbormaster is trying to get across is the
                              fact the infrastructure at Kahului Harbor is already busting at the seams.
                              Adding the HSF is going to make an already bad situation worse. Read the
                              rest of the article, and you'll see the serious infrastructure challenges
                              facing Kahului Harbor with HSF's arrival.

In my opinion, if these infrastructure challenges are not addressed
                              adequately on all the harbors HSF wants service, (especially at Kahului)
                              I'm willing to bet HSF will go belly up. The HSF and the State of
                              Hawaii DOT will have to look into the mirror to see whose fault that was if that happens.

In short it irritates me when people try to shove something on all of us when
                              its not ready for prime time.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

I have family members that have never been off the Big Island because of the fear of flying!

(those same family members have been out on boats for days in and days out fishing)

I think it will be great for them!

Comment

Working...
                                X