X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang
    (...) also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors (...) The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.
    And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
    The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
      The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.
      No, they don't need a majority on the Board to make a difference. And since the State (and you, the taxpayer) are helping subsidize this venture, the least the Superferry Board could do is give the voters a say in the business, even though it might only be one voice out of many. Where I have an issue is with the fact that the taxpayers are helping subsidize this whole thing. If JF Lehman and the other businesses who are funding the enterprise were the only ones who were paying for this (ncluding offering to help pay for the needed improvements to the harbors) that would be one thing. But if they are supposed to be in "partnership" with the State for harbor improvements, stonewalling isn't going to win them any friends in the Legislature, as is witnessed by the veiled threat by some in the Legislature to withhold half of what the State promised unless Superferry comes up with some answers.

I hope you don't go into a "marriage" like this thinking that you're going to get divorced anyway (metaphorically speaking), so why bother telling your future spouse that you intend to only marry them for their money and then plan to divorce them once you know for sure you're going to get 50% of the assets?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

we want prenup...we want prenup...yeeah!
        www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Ha! Even though Garibaldi calls it "purely coincidental", the fact that he finally produced the names of the 5 Maui advisory committee members today makes it appear as though it was in response to the Legislature's threats to withhold half of the $20 million the State had committed to support the Stooperferry (most notably, representatives Shan Tsutsui and Kalani English from Maui). Why didn't he also release the names of the advisory board members on the Big Island and Kauai at the same time? Hmmmm???? Do the Legislators from those constituencies have to rabble rouse too in order to find out who's representing them? Yeah, the people of Maui may be more vocal about the goings on of the Superferry, but it behooves taxpayers of the other islands to also keep their eyes on this private business that wants some of your tax money.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here we go again...the "uppity" elected officials from Maui stirring up trouble for Superferry representatives in a hearing in the Legislature yesterday...

Hey! No Porta-potties for the ferry terminals on the Neighbor Islands!

"...Garibaldi opened with a lengthy PowerPoint update, in which it was obvious that Kahului Harbor will be, by far, the most challenging of the state’s four ports planned for ferry services. As earlier reported in The Maui News, officials plan to create a "split operation" involving Pier 2, used by Young Brothers, and a parking lot now occupied by Valley Isle Motors on Kaahumanu Avenue.

A planned "terminal" probably will be a tent, and portable restrooms will be set up in the parking lot where passengers assemble. In the same area, outbound vehicles will line up to undergo security and agricultural inspections, then drive along the edge of the container yard parallel to Puunene Avenue, cross a newly constructed bridge and continue down a roadway on existing pavement to the end of Pier 2 where another "waiting area" will be created, according to Garibaldi. Vehicles will be loaded and unloaded on a floating barge that the state will build at the end of the pier.

Tsutsui questioned the types of facilities planned. Garibaldi said it hadn’t been determined what type of "tent structure" would be used, but that portable restrooms "like the ones used for cruise ship passengers" will be put in place.

"Not single portapotties, but much nicer," he said.

Garibaldi said it’s difficult to get federal moneys for facilities at this point, even though money is out there, because it’s like "the chicken and the egg."

"Let’s get something into service that makes sense," he said, before investing a lot into permanent infrastructure...."

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Here we go again...the "uppity" elected officials from Maui stirring up trouble for Superferry representatives in a hearing in the Legislature yesterday...
              I for one am happy that the Legislature is playing hardball with the Superferry.
              They've been evasive and unwilling to address the communities concerns about lack of infrastructure to support the service (on the neighbor islands), the potential negative effects on the environment etc.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I think if Maui County voters had to choose between being able to ship more goods to Maui v. shipping more tourists and cars to Maui, the choice would be overwhelming: It's more important to the residents to have goods available, and now with Young Bros getting out of the non containerized shipping business on Maui, it will mean more competition, but where will those other shippers be able to offload their shipments?

I thought Ma'alaea would be a more strategic location for a ferry terminal, but I discovered that there's been hue and cry over further development of that area due to EPA concerns.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                  I for one am happy that the Legislature is playing hardball with the Superferry.

Read that to mean "Maui Democrat legislators".
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Whatever....
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      Except for (powerless) Halford, that is redundant. heh.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
                        Except for (powerless) Halford, that is redundant. heh.
                        Yeah, the district Chris Halford represents has lotsa rich snowbirds and McMansions...and cows.

Miulang

Comment

The Democrats from Maui have been making the biggest noise on the opposition of the Superferry which presents Hawaii residents with another travel option that a lot of people are looking forward to. But the obstructionist, enviro whackos and the few from afar in the great Northwest would rather put a halt to the whole thing rather than give this option a chance.

But then after 3 topics with numerous posts mostly opposing the Superferry, this is not expected given the outspoken population who are championing the defeat of this economic option. A typical pattern of thought for HT.

Click here for more.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            The Democrats from Maui have been making the biggest noise on the opposition of the Superferry which presents Hawaii residents with another travel option that a lot of people are looking forward to. But the obstructionist, enviro whackos and the few from afar in the great Northwest would rather put a halt to the whole thing rather than give this option a chance.

But then after 3 topics with numerous posts mostly opposing the Superferry, this is not expected given the outspoken population who are championing the defeat of this economic option. A typical pattern of thought for HT.

Click here for more.
                            Mel, I'm not saying NOT to have the Superferry go to Maui. But if you lived on Maui and had to contend with the nightmare that the increased traffic will cause in the Kahului area, you'd say "put it somewhere else on Maui" too. It's not even about the environment, but it IS about the congestion in the harbor area that is causing the local residents a lot of angst right now. Both Garibaldi and the State acknowledge that Kahului Harbor is the port that's going to cause the biggest problems for Superferry because it is already overoccupied.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; April 15, 2006, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              Mel,
                              You are looking at this Super Ferry option through rose colored glasses.
                              In other words totally oblivious to the potential impacts this service may
                              bring. Take Kawaihae Harbor for example, in my opinion the infrastructure
                              there is totally inadequate for the SuperFerry.Who is going to pay for
                              that infrastructure upgrades at the neighbor island harbors. We all know you hate tax increases, so I suppose any tax increase to fund it is big no-no.
                              Why are we using 40 million of our taxpayers dollars to get SuperFerry off
                              the ground ? I'm frankly surprised Mel, with your no new taxes spin, you
                              are not first one in line to bitch about the latter.

I don't consider myself a environmental wacko. If you bother to read
                              my blog..you'd get much different impression. Nonetheless I have strong
                              reservations about the SuperFerry. Compounding it is the unwillingness of
                              SuperFerry management to be forthright and honest with the people of
                              Hawaii about potential impacts of their service.

We all know Mel, you got your blinders on to these impacts.You'd rather
                              not accept they exist, just because SuperFerry is all great and cool. I
                              on the other hand am looking at the bigger picture.As I'll be living here
                              long after you are dead and gone.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, do you know if Garibaldi has revealed who the Big Island Superferry advisory board members are yet? I have not seen boo about this, or about the Kauai representatives...only know who the Maui reps are.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X