This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Hooo boy! Is the plot ever growing thicker in this YB/Superferry squabble on Maui.

Monday night at the DOT hearing in Kahului, Maui Land and Pineapple (yes, Steve Case's group) generously stepped up and said if the State would fast track an application and meet "certain conditions", they would be "willing" to take up the slack of shipping smaller than container sized loads between the islands if YB's application to cease such shipments is approved.

Hmmm...wonder why they decided to be so magnanimous now? You know they aren't doing it solely to kokua the small business owners. Appears they might be trying to reach some sort of sweetheart deal with Superferry to carry that cargo.

Miulang
    Maui Land & Pineapple Inc. will ask for a "fast track" of approvals to begin shipping small loads of general cargo on Hawaii Superferry to fill a gap that would be created if Young Brothers Ltd. gets permission to eliminate that part of its service.

Maui Pineapple Co. President Brian Nishida said that if "certain conditions" were met, costs of delivery would remain the same and travel time would be much faster on Superferry than on a Young Brothers barge.

The announcement stunned a crowd Monday night at Lihikai Elementary School where the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission was hearing a request by Young Brothers to end transportation of loads in and out of Kahului Harbor that take up less than a full container. Young Brothers has been forced to make the move at this time because the state ordered the company to vacate a fourth of its space at Pier 2 by Jan. 1 to accommodate Superferry. ML&P is one of the islands’ largest private investors in Superferry, sinking $603,000 into the project.
    Meanwhile the County Council is scheduled to meet next week to discuss a resolution postponing the arrival of Superferry until an EIS can be done and questions surrounding the YB space issue can be answered.
    Last edited by admin; July 5, 2006, 04:34 PM. Reason: Reduced and tagged except. Quote minimally and link, please.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Turns out that the ML&P proposal to start LCL shipping via the Superferry caught those people off guard, too.

"...Terry O’Halloran, public relations director for Superferry, sounded shocked Wednesday when told that ML&P had gone public with a plan that his company would not endorse.

"We knew they were thinking about consolidating freight, but we didn’t know they were going to bring that up at the PUC hearing," said O’Halloran. "If we knew they were considering this, we would have told them that we are going to conduct our operation the way we said we would and that includes having drivers accompany each vehicle."...

"From day one, we have said our operation is based on a driver driving on and accompanying the vehicle, and those plans aren’t going to change," he said. "We’ve said that all along: that there will be no changes to that."

Nishida was not expecting such a response from Superferry.

"We had given them a head’s up so it (Superferry’s reaction) is something of a surprise," said Nishida. "We did advise them of the highlights (of the testimony) that we were going to give at the hearing the other night."...

Methinks the opening salvo has been fired and now everybody should sit back and watch the fracas evolve, because ML&P is the largest local investor in Superferry and Superferry is basically telling ML&P that they have no input on the day to day operations of Superferry. Yes, indeedy. Let the fireworks begin.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If you can get Akaku on your TV, then it might be interesting for you to tune in next Tuesday, when the next round of talks about Superferry and YB happens in the Maui County Council chambers.

"..That’s the question company executives will face Tuesday night in Council Chambers when the Committee of the Whole will consider a resolution introduced by Council Chairman Riki Hokama, asking the state to hold up Superferry operations on Maui so that a harbor master plan and environmental review can be completed. The meeting is to start at 6:30 p.m. and be televised live on cable Channel 53 by Akaku: Maui Community Television.

"...“They postponed going to Kawaihae (on the Big Island) until 2009,” said Hokama. “Does Maui need to have the same consideration, especially because we have only one deep-draft harbor?”

Pressure continues to mount on the Superferry to pull the plug on its scheduled July 1, 2007, launch date at Kahului – at least for a while – to allow time for a better plan, especially at already-pinched Pier 2, where Young Brothers Ltd. is being forced to abandon a fourth of its space to make room for the new enterprise, which has created fears of a shipping crisis on Maui and Molokai. To keep things from getting worse, State Sen. Shan Tsutsui has asked Gov. Linda Lingle to put a hold on releasing the final $20 million that the ferry system needs for barges and ramps.

In a letter sent to Lingle two weeks ago, Tsutsui requested that Lingle “restrict release of all remaining funds indefinitely so that this issue may be revisited during the 2007 (legislative) session....

Miulang

Comment

• 57 hours later...

The Maui County Council meeting that started on Tuesday apparently lasted 57 hours before being recessed at midnight last night (did they take potty breaks in between? ). The end result: a realization that even if the full council unanimously approved the resolution to request a delay in the arrival of Superferry, it would really only amount to a protest and have no teeth.

So the Chairman of the Council is drafting an additional resolution that would give Maui County the option of joining a lawsuit against Superferry.

"...If the council chooses to go in that direction, the county could join a lawsuit against the state Department of Transportation filed earlier this year by attorney Isaac Hall on behalf of three Maui organizations that say an environmental assessment of harbor improvement plans was not adequate. The suit will be heard in 2nd Circuit Court next month.

Hokama’s announcement jolted a groggy crowd back to life after a long meeting of the Committee of the Whole regarding two related issues: the introduction of Superferry to an already snarled Kahului Harbor and a request by Young Brothers Ltd. to end its service of shipping partial loads in and out of Maui....

"...The resolution introduced by Hokama last month would not stop Superferry, but asks that the state delay its launch at Kahului until the harbor master plan is updated and an environmental impact statement (EIS) could be prepared. Superferry originally said it hoped to begin its spoke-and-hub system connecting Kahului, Nawiliwili (Kauai) and Kawaihae (Big Island) to Oahu in 2007, but put off Kawaihae until 2009....

"...Deputy Transportation Director Barry Fukunaga said one harbor had to be put on hold because last year the state Legislature cut in half a $40 million request for barges and ramps needed for Superferry to access the piers. With only $20 million to get started, it was decided to delay operations at Kawaihae because Superferry officials had targeted Maui as the choice link to Oahu from day one.

They have always looked at Maui as their preferred destination . . . over Nawiliwili and Kawaihae,” said Fukunaga.

"...It was also learned from Fukunaga that Superferry’s operating agreement with the state was a “unique arrangement” that other harbor users have not been offered. Included in the document is a liability clause that could give the company $18,000 a day if delays occur – something no other harbor user impacted by the ferry could fall back on.

"...During 27 hours of public testimony, no one spoke in favor of Superferry. It was former Corporation Counsel James Takayesu who suggested – and urged – that the council become a party to the existing lawsuit.

"...Fukunaga later said that the state would not owe Superferry the $18,000-a-day penalty for a delay if it is caused by a court action...."

So does this mean that Superferry regards the Big Island and Kauai as less desirable destinations???

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; July 13, 2006, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Re: 57 hours later...

'
            --"So does this mean that Superferry regards the Big Island and Kauai as less desirable destinations??? "--

No tears seem to be shedding from either Kauai or Hawaii with regard to their being allegedly subordinated to Superferry's stated love affair with Maui and her Kahului port.

The fact that on Maui "...During 27 hours of public testimonywww.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=21442, no one spoke in favor of Superferry", says a lot about the communty spirit of Maui with regard to Hawaii Superferry, Inc. How could similar meetings on Hawaii and/or Kauai be much different if they were well attended/represented? I suggest: not much!
            Last edited by waioli kai; July 13, 2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• "Home Rule"...ha!

The Maui County Council unanimously passed the resolution to request a delay in the arrival of Superferry.

"...Council members went ahead and unanimously passed Hokama’s resolution that opposes the proposed commencement of Superferry at Kahului on July 1, 2007, until an update of the harbor master plan and an environmental impact statement can be completed. The resolution will come before the full council Aug. 14.

The resolution carries no force of law, but committee members hoped that their united stand finally would make state officials, especially Gov. Linda Lingle, and Superferry executives take notice.

“While this may be a symbolic gesture, it’s also a statement,” said Hokama. “Maui County won’t tolerate its future being dictated by people who aren’t its residents.”

"...Throughout much of the morning, the governor was on the hot seat in absentia.

Lingle’s long-touted platform of “home rule” was ridiculed by council members.

“Home rule seems to be something the governor expounds upon when home rule is in her favor,” said Anderson.

One of Lingle’s gubernatorial challengers, Democrat Randy Iwase, jumped into the Superferry controversy Thursday afternoon with his concerns about Young Brothers’ request to end shipment of partial loads.

In a statement, Iwase blamed the Lingle administration for neglecting harbor expansion for four years, which has led to the crisis. Iwase said Superferry has “the support of Governor Lingle.”

“The governor must review options to determine if LCL (less than container load) space can be retained at Kahului Harbor until future facilities can be constructed,” said Iwase...."

Yes, indeedy. This is getting very very interesting.

Miulang

Comment

• Re: "Home Rule"...ha!

Originally posted by Miulang
                "The resolution carries no force of law, but committee members hoped that their united stand finally would make state officials, especially Gov. Linda Lingle, and Superferry executives take notice.
                “While this may be a symbolic gesture, it’s also a statement,” said Hokama."
                (...)
                Yes, indeedy. This is getting very very interesting.
                Interesting? Barely. No force of law, and merely a symbolic gesture.
                [/yawn]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

By a vote of 8-1, the Maui County Council adopted a resolution yesterday asking county attorneys to participate in a lawsuit against the state Department of Transportation that questions the adequacy of its EIS of improvements planned for Kahului Harbor.

"... The lawsuit, filed in January in 2nd Circuit Court by Maui Tomorrow, the Friends of Haleakala National Park and the Kahului Harbor Coalition, calls for a judge to order the state to prepare an environmental impact statement on harbor improvement plans before going ahead with the projects.

Before calling for the vote, Council Chairman Riki Hokama, who introduced the resolution, said the state’s actions had been “bad for the economy, bad for our businesses, bad for our employees and bad for our community at large.”

Members of the groups who launched the lawsuit said Friday that the county’s participation could be decisive in supporting their cause, but they were concerned the timing of the intervention might impact an Aug. 17 hearing date on their motion for summary judgment in the case..."

Having Maui County join the current suit might cause a postponement of the August hearing, which would not be a good thing.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

More info on Superferry. Take a gander at the maps at the bottom of the article. The choke points on Maui for traffic are going to be right around where Krispy Kreme and Costco are (the merge to and from the airport) and the intersection of Dairy Road and Puunene Ave. (down by Home Depot and WalMart) which are already miserable and where traffic lights may take as long as 5 minutes to cycle. If there are any entrepreneurs out there, a really good business to start both in Kahului and Honolulu is a total body car wash so your car will be able to pass inspection with no problems. One big question looming is how Superferry intends to inspect 285 cars in the half hour it has alloted for boarding cars and still prevent invasive species from hopping on board.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 23, 2006, 05:38 PM.

Comment

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...l?surround=lfn

The state has found more land for Young Brothers Ltd.'s interisland operations so that the cargo hauler will not have to stop consolidating its customers' freight.

The state Department of Transportation will set aside more space for Young Brothers at Kahului Harbor on Maui and will provide more space at Honolulu, Hilo and Kawaihae harbors, according to an agreement announced Monday.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I just recently had a problem at the airport where my luggage weighed 56 lbs instead of the 50 lb regulation!

Superferry I can bring my car!!!! I'm so on it! sheesh... now they asking you to arrive 2 hours ahead at the airports!!!! etc....get scrutinized about your babies juice...etc....

This thread is to political for me....

But I will say that I'm all for it!

Comment

The courts last week also said there was no need for an expanded EIS and basically threw the lawsuit brought by 3 local groups out. However, there's a good chance that the County of Maui will appeal the decision (along with the 3 other plaintiffs). Their new tack is going to be that the new EIS will be needed not just for Superferry but for the entire harbor and the proposed traffic, with or without Superferry.

The state has found more land for Young Brothers Ltd.'s interisland operations so that the cargo hauler will not have to stop consolidating its customers' freight.
                          Wonder why the State caved in to YB, though? The problem is that the State's new agreement with YB only runs through Jan. 1, 2010 on Maui. Wonder if the State thinks Superferry might be sunk by then, so YB can have that 23% of the land it has to give up at Kahului Harbor returned to YB?

Also, there's one really akamai business owner on Maui (Maui Oil) who's branching out and is building an environmentally friendly car wash, right where the cars from the ferry have to travel. The place will recycle water and everything else. Filters will screen out all the pilau stuff from the recycled water (the owner says it'll be clean, but you won't be able to drink it because it won't be ozonated). Like I said a few months back, I wish I had the money to do what Maui Oil did, because people are going to need to wash their cars thoroughly and have them inspected before boarding the Superferry. So that buggah going make plenty kala! My guess is they will charge around $10-12.50/carwash and the State might make getting your car washed mandatory before driving aboard Superferry, so count on adding some additional kala for a carwash to your trip even before you leave the dock.

Oh yeah, Manoa, you still going have to get to the Superferry terminal at least 2-3 hours in advance for vehicle inspection, etc. Remember how it was when you lived in Bellingham? Did you ever take the WA State Ferry to either the Islands or to Whidbey or Port Orchard in the summertime? You going have that kind of wait, too (between 2-3 hours). I guess the consolation is that you get to be bored in your own car, instead of sitting in a chair in a terminal. And they'll probably have bomb sniffing dogs, etc. at the dock, too.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; August 21, 2006, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Wonder why the State caved in to YB, though? The problem is that the State's new agreement with YB only runs through Jan. 1, 2010 on Maui. Wonder if the State thinks Superferry might be sunk by then, so YB can have that 23% of the land it has to give up at Kahului Harbor returned to YB?
                            Where did you read that this agreement with YB will be only until 2010. The PBN article does not state a date.
                            Last edited by Konaguy; August 21, 2006, 08:19 PM.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                              Where did you read that this agreement with YB will be only until 2010. The PBN article does not state a date.
                              It was in this story from KHON.
                              Small farmers ship in less than full containers, which is a money losing proposition for Young Brothers. The company agrees to stay in the business through 2010 for Kahului and Hilo, and 2012 at other ports.

And it promises early warning if it decides to quit thereafter, according to Mark Recktenwald, Director of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.

"Before Young Brothers files such permission in future," Recktenwald said, "It must provide at least 18 months advance notice to the public and to shippers."
                              And also here on the Young Bros website is an official news release from Aug. 21.

Miulang

Comment

The courts last week also said there was no need for an expanded EIS and basically threw the lawsuit brought by 3 local groups out. However, there's a good chance that the County of Maui will appeal the decision (along with the 3 other plaintiffs). Their new tack is going to be that the new EIS will be needed not just for Superferry but for the entire harbor and the proposed traffic, with or without Superferry.

Also, there's one really akamai business owner on Maui (Maui Oil) who's branching out and is building an environmentally friendly car wash, right where the cars from the ferry have to travel. The place will recycle water and everything else. Filters will screen out all the pilau stuff from the recycled water (the owner says it'll be clean, but you won't be able to drink it because it won't be ozonated). Like I said a few months back, I wish I had the money to do what Maui Oil did, because people are going to need to wash their cars thoroughly and have them inspected before boarding the Superferry. So that buggah going make plenty kala! My guess is they will charge around $10-12.50/carwash and the State might make getting your car washed mandatory before driving aboard Superferry, so count on adding some additional kala for a carwash to your trip even before you leave the dock.

Oh yeah, Manoa, you still going have to get to the Superferry terminal at least 2-3 hours in advance for vehicle inspection, etc. Remember how it was when you lived in Bellingham? Did you ever take the WA State Ferry to either the Islands or to Whidbey or Port Orchard in the summertime? You going have that kind of wait, too (between 2-3 hours). I guess the consolation is that you get to be bored in your own car, instead of sitting in a chair in a terminal. And they'll probably have bomb sniffing dogs, etc. at the dock, too.

Miulang
                                Yes Miulang... my grandparents lived in Friday Harbor in San Juan. I would take the ferry at least once a month for about 8 years. That was before 9/11. And there was never vehicle inspections then. I haven't been on them for a long time...and yeah I'm sure there probably are vehicle inspections.... but however, I suspect that the waiting time is due more to the popularity of the ferries and the high volume of use...more then the inspection of cars.

On a side note... the people of Lummi Island have there ferry decommissioned once a year and have to leave their cars on the "mainland"
                                During dry dock, a foot passenger ferry will run between Lummi Island and Gooseberry Point, with designated vehicle parking at Gooseberry Point. A van shuttle service will be available on the island to provide transportation to and from the foot passenger ferry. Bikes and pets aren't allowed on the van.
                                http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps...0314/1001/NEWS
                                Last edited by damontucker; August 21, 2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X