This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Great. Another lawsuit to delay the Superferry.

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Yeah, you can blame the whacko environmentalists and the Maui County Council for putting the skids on this one.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

At its peak the Superferry is expected to carry just a small fraction of vehicles and passengers moved by other means, including cruise ships, barges and aircraft.

Yet these other modes of interisland transportation aren't going to be subject to the same environmental impact statement requirements demanded by the Superferry?

If the Superferry actually gets to run I hope these opposing individuals don't expect to actually use it. If the Sierra Club has a major project on a neighbor island, they can go through the time and hassle of shipping all their equipment and vehicles by barge, take a seperate plane, then figure out how to get to their vehicles and gear, all the while hoping a lot of what was in the trucks didn't "fall off the barge" along the way.

Comment

Well, you can blame Maui County, the Sierra Club and other Maui organizations for again slowing down progress of the Superferry. The judge presiding over the case promised to issue her ruling "soon". Hopefully there's still time for funding to come through on this project.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like the legal barriers have been lifted -- for now.

Of course the Sierra Club is saying it might file an appeal.

Comment

With all the new competition in interisland air carriers beginning next year (and if market forces work the way they should to lower airfares through competition), would the Superferry become less important, if the prices for the ferry were similar to what some of the smaller, newer air carriers would charge? I'm just curious if the price and convenience of travelling by air would outweigh having their cars travel with the people and less convenient schedules for the ferry? I know the military is just salivating at the arrival of the Superferry because they will be able to use it to transport their equipment and personnel between Oahu and the Big Island for training, but will it make that much of a difference to resident civilians?

Miulang

Comment

Hawaii Superferry

And I am not talking abot a dragqueen super hero.

I severyone as stoked about this as I am??

Comment

Re: Hawaii Superferry

uh... any way you could possibly rephrase the question?

Comment

Re: Hawaii Superferry

Sure,

Is anyone as stoked as I am to see the Ferry system in Hawaii. My dad lives on the Big Island, and I am an avid kitesurfer and windsurfer, so a maui trip would be AWESOME! Dive on with your gear and family and drive off and visit the folks. KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The superferry just jumped it's last legal hurdle (sp) LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!

Comment

Seems I'm not the only one who's suspicious about the reasons why certain businesspeople and governmental entities are waiting anxiously for the Superferry to begin service.

Herewith an excerpt from a letter to the editor in today's Maui News:

"...In the ongoing saga of the Hawaii Superferry, it is interesting to note that John Lehman, former Reagan secretary of the Navy, was appointed as a Superferry board member. Lehman’s private equity firm is investing $59 million in the Superferry.

Seems Mr. Lehman will, under the guise of “Superferry H-3,” operate the Westpac Express, whose mission is “essentially to carry military equipment and ferry vehicles from Oahu to the Big Island on a daily basis” and to make it easier for training when the Stryker Brigade comes to Hawaii. According to Pacific Business News, “Hawaii Superferry provided the Army with a cost analysis and expects to negotiate a long-term contract.”..."

Hello? Isn't the Superferry being partially subsidized by the State for the benefit of its citizens? If the Army intends to use it to shuttle its troops and equipment between Honolulu and Pohakuloa, perhaps the DoD should also help pay for the cost.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Seems I'm not the only one who's suspicious about the reasons why certain businesspeople and governmental entities are waiting anxiously for the Superferry to begin service.

Herewith an excerpt from a letter to the editor in today's Maui News:

"...In the ongoing saga of the Hawaii Superferry, it is interesting to note that John Lehman, former Reagan secretary of the Navy, was appointed as a Superferry board member. Lehman’s private equity firm is investing $59 million in the Superferry.

Seems Mr. Lehman will, under the guise of “Superferry H-3,” operate the Westpac Express, whose mission is “essentially to carry military equipment and ferry vehicles from Oahu to the Big Island on a daily basis” and to make it easier for training when the Stryker Brigade comes to Hawaii. According to Pacific Business News, “Hawaii Superferry provided the Army with a cost analysis and expects to negotiate a long-term contract.”..."

Hello? Isn't the Superferry being partially subsidized by the State for the benefit of its citizens? If the Army intends to use it to shuttle its troops and equipment between Honolulu and Pohakuloa, perhaps the DoD should also help pay for the cost.

Miulang
                        Of course, defense was also the excuse used to build the Interstate system... talk of the "military industrial complex". ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
                          Of course, defense was also the excuse used to build the Interstate system... talk of the "military industrial complex". ouch.
                          On the other hand, it would allow folks with some disabilities to travel more easily in the islands, and it's bigger and much more luxurious than the old Boeing Jetfoils...

Comment

The Advertiser reports that the Hawaii Superferry people have gotten their financing. The target date for starting interisland ferry service is April 2007. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              The Advertiser reports that the Hawaii Superferry people have gotten their financing. The target date for starting interisland ferry service is April 2007. Can't wait.
                              You may have to plan your trips around the times that the DoD wants to comandeer the first ferry that will be in service for use in transporting its troops from Oahu to Pohakuloa!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X