X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang
    You may have to plan your trips around the times that the DoD wants to comandeer the first ferry that will be in service for use in transporting its troops from Oahu to Pohakuloa!
    The military already has ways to get its gear anywhere in the world. And they move just about anything to Pohakuloa at will. As for moving troops, there's a bunch of twin-rotor helicopters and other aircraft that can move fully equipped personnel without going through the hassle of transferring them through civilian carriers.

Imagine trying to board 50 soldiers with rifles, grenade launchers and ammo onto a boat at Honolulu Harbor.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
      The military already has ways to get its gear anywhere in the world. And they move just about anything to Pohakuloa at will. As for moving troops, there's a bunch of twin-rotor helicopters and other aircraft that can move fully equipped personnel without going through the hassle of transferring them through civilian carriers.

Imagine trying to board 50 soldiers with rifles, grenade launchers and ammo onto a boat at Honolulu Harbor.
      It has previously been disclosed that the Superferry folks have been in discussions with the DoD to use the ferry as a way to get personnel and equipment to Pohakuloa. The DoD had already admitted that the current ways of transporting troops and equipment between Oahu and the Big Island is too costly, thus they haven't been able to conduct many training sessions on the Big Island. With the Stryker training on both Oahu and the Big Island shifting into high gear, no doubt the DoD has its eyes on the Superferry as a more cost effective way to get stuff to and from the Big Island.

In the 60s and 70s, military personnel in uniform could fly on any flight on a standby basis as long as there was a seat available on a flight. Now private citizens will have to travel on a standby basis on the Superferry...how times have changed!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        It has previously been disclosed that the Superferry folks have been in discussions with the DoD to use the ferry as a way to get personnel and equipment to Pohakuloa. The DoD had already admitted that the current ways of transporting troops and equipment between Oahu and the Big Island is too costly, thus they haven't been able to conduct many training sessions on the Big Island.
        Travelling by commercial carrier isn't going to be any cheaper than travelling via their own means. And as for speed on the water, the Navy is already developing high-speed ships. And right now there's a 300-foot monohull hydrofoil being tested here by the same company that runs the Navatek.

When the band of the Hawaii Army National Guard attended the unveiling of the 442nd and 100th Battalion memorials at Camp Shelby Mississippi, they went via a Hawaii Air National Guard KC-135 tanker/cargo jet.

The Army has its own vessels -- not the US Navy -- to transport equipment interisland. One of those ships was standing by to move tons of equipment to Kauai immediately after Hurricane Iniki. It was ready to get there within 12 hours of a "go" signal, but Kauai's government delayed that call for two or three days.

The Marines also have ships available -- the Navy -- and use these ships to get their equipment around. Some of these ships are specialty vessels that are designed to launch landing craft, amphibious vehicles or helicopters. These can be observed operating offshore of Bellows Field every year.

Army CH-47 helicopters can move about 40,000 pounds of equipment or personnel per flight.

If the Superferry becomes part of that process it might not be a bad thing. It'll help ensure additional cash flow. And those trips could take place during non-passenger hours so it doesn't necessarily have to affect scheduled runs. The airlines do the same thing with cargo runs. Aloha flies freight in the middle of the night using the same aircraft used for their daytime passenger flights.

Overall, I'd say it's not a whole lot to worry about just yet. After all, the Superferry doesn't even begin to operate until 2007. And you can bet they're not about to wreck their reputation as an interisland carrier by cancelling a lot of scheduled trips. Not when they're trying to make a huge first impression on a fickle travelling public.

Comment

It Ain't a Done Deal Yet on Maui...

Three environmental groups on Maui just filed another suit contesting the results of the final Environmental Assessment that cleared the way for the Hawai'i Superferry people to start work on a terminal at Kahului Harbor.

"...conflicting information in the draft environmental document and the final product as well as the operating agreement signed just a few months ago between Superferry officials and DOT. For instance, a distinct two-lane roadway from Puunene Avenue to Pier 2 to accommodate vehicles and passengers loading and unloading from the Superferry is part of a map in the operating agreement and the draft EA. But it is not included in the final EA, replaced by a broken line between Puunene and Pier 2, he said.

The Superferry’s operating agreement makes it clear that traffic for that operation will enter and exit from Puunene and the draft EA states that “the north end of Puunene Avenue . . . will have to be renovated to accommodate the increase in traffic.” The final EA, however, says that Superferry traffic will “be primarily limited” to Wharf Street or Hobron Avenue.

The traffic study cited was completed in 2002 for a retail project at the intersection of Hobron and Kaahumanu avenues although Superferry officials have indicated traffic from the ferry will use the intersection at Puunene and Kaahumanu avenues. A passenger terminal and other facilities are proposed to be located on the property that now accommodates a Valley Isle Motors used car lot.

It’s not the first time the Superferry has caused some head scratching. In October, legislators indicated they were surprised by the lack of answers from Transportation Director Rod Haraga and other harbors officials about the ferry’s proposed operations. Legislators took a site visit to the busy harbor on a day when a single car parked out of place brought Pier 2 to a standstill...."

This could push launch of the ferry back a little longer. I know where the Superferry wants to put their terminal, and I also know the intersection where the cars offloading from the ship are supposed to enter traffic. I don't see how they could redesign that part of Puunene Ave. to allow for an extra stream of cars. It's so bad on that stretch now during rush hours that the ferry would have to dock at Kahului at some very weird and inconvenient times (for those using the ferry) in order for the additional traffic not to impact other commuters.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The operational plan states that there will be one arrival at Maui per day in the beginning. It will increase to two when the second superferry starts operating.

Each arrival could mean having up to 250 vehicles and up to 900 people come ashore. That's assuming a full load.

If this is measured against how many cars use those routes on a daily basis, I'd wager that it's a small fraction of the number of vehicles that pass through that area during Kahului's rush hour. And that assumes these vehicles arrive during rush hour which is probably unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
              If this is measured against how many cars use those routes on a daily basis, I'd wager that it's a small fraction of the number of vehicles that pass through that area during Kahului's rush hour. And that assumes these vehicles arrive during rush hour which is probably unlikely.
              If you've ever had to wait for a green light in that stretch of highway between the airport road and say, Kaahumanu Center to the north and Dairy Road to the south (where there's a stop light about every block), even another 50 cars is going to be a big deal. And having the ferry dock at midnight? Might not be too desirable for the people on the ferry, either, to have to disembark at midnight. Rush hour now is from about 5:30 to 10 a.m. and about 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. I think they'd be smarter to have the ferry land at Ma'alaea. Oh wait. They probably couldn't do that. They'd be endangering the humpbacks in the winter.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; January 23, 2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Traffic stay already screwed along the Kaahumanu Ave. when the NCL Ship`s dock at Kahului Harbor. Going be one nightmare when SuperFerry arrives. Again, lack off planning, go for the big buck`s............

CAN?????/CAN!!!!!!
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Wasn't "Hawai'i Superferry" a character that danced at da Glade's?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    Wasn't "Hawai'i Superferry" a character that danced at da Glade's?
                    Yeah, his name was "Ms. Aloha Oy"!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                      Traffic stay already screwed along the Kaahumanu Ave. when the NCL Ship`s dock at Kahului Harbor. Going be one nightmare when SuperFerry arrives. Again, lack off planning, go for the big buck`s............

CAN?????/CAN!!!!!!
                      Yeah, imagine...when the NCL cruise ship docks, you're only talking about foot traffic. When the Superferry docks, it'll mean cars AND foot traffic.

Miulang

Comment

The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
                        About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
                        So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
                        2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                          The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
                          About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
                          So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
                          2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!
                          Eh, OggBoy: Just think about all da extra customers going get at Ruby's and Coho Grill, not to mention upstairs in the Food Court and at Sushi Go! Sam Choy going be kicking himself for vacating that space so Ruby's could have a restaurant in there. The only thing I don't understand about the remodel of Kaahumanu Center was why they took out that staircase that led from the street level to the food court. Now you gotta go all the way inside the mall and up da escalators for grind at McDs.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; January 23, 2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Miulang,
                            Everybody thinking the same way, why the hell did the new mall mgnt. remove the stair case. You would think in case of fire those step`s would come in handy. This new owners are the same owners that run Ala Moana. Go figure, anyway it`s been 4 years since Ruby`s came to town and I must say still going strong. I know the owners want to open shop on Oahu and are waiting for either the beachwalk area (Outrigger Hotel location) or the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Both locations are under extensive renovations.
                            OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                                Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.
                                Oh the tangled web we weave, when we actively try to deceive! The people of Maui are still wondering where the Ferry is going to find space to dock in Kahului without impacting critical needs, like the barges that bring in supplies for residents and cruise line tourists that bring the bucks and the canoe clubs which practice there.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X