Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
    About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
    So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
    2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oggboy
    The nightmare has already begun. When the NCL ship`s dock it`s not only the foot traffic, but taxis, buses, rent-a-cars that causes a major traffic problem fronting the Maui Mall all along Kaahumanu Ave. Puunene Ave. and Haleakala Highway.
    About 10 years ago plans we`re for expanding Kahului Harbor to add Pier 3...
    So much for planning, I think they still planning!!!!CAN!!!!
    2007, one more NCL cruiseliner docking in Kahului... 2008, SuperFerry comes to town. Maybe we should have the QE2 come holo-holo too!!!!
    Eh, OggBoy: Just think about all da extra customers going get at Ruby's and Coho Grill, not to mention upstairs in the Food Court and at Sushi Go! Sam Choy going be kicking himself for vacating that space so Ruby's could have a restaurant in there. The only thing I don't understand about the remodel of Kaahumanu Center was why they took out that staircase that led from the street level to the food court. Now you gotta go all the way inside the mall and up da escalators for grind at McDs.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 23rd, 2006 at 06:00 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Miulang,
    Everybody thinking the same way, why the hell did the new mall mgnt. remove the stair case. You would think in case of fire those step`s would come in handy. This new owners are the same owners that run Ala Moana. Go figure, anyway it`s been 4 years since Ruby`s came to town and I must say still going strong. I know the owners want to open shop on Oahu and are waiting for either the beachwalk area (Outrigger Hotel location) or the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Both locations are under extensive renovations.
    OGGBOY

Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Ian Lind points to Doug White who points to an editorial in the Maui News about the slow progress of the Superferry.
    Oh the tangled web we weave, when we actively try to deceive! The people of Maui are still wondering where the Ferry is going to find space to dock in Kahului without impacting critical needs, like the barges that bring in supplies for residents and cruise line tourists that bring the bucks and the canoe clubs which practice there.

Miulang

QE 2, is on its way to town, first stop Honolulu, Second stop Lahaina, then on to the Big Island.
    Maybe try stop Kahului Harbor instead, try blend in with NCL cruise ships, Matson and YB barge`s. LoLo, Honolulu Harbor built to handle, Kahului Harbor, NO CAN!!!!

Just got back from Lahaina, checking out the QE2, braddah the bugga is huge. Drive up to Lahainaluna High School and the site of the ship is unreal. Kona bound next, check it out guy`s. UNREAL!!!! OGGBOY

SORRY, IT`S QM2..... (TRY FOCUS OGGBOY)

Gee, what happened to the Superferry? Folks at the State Legislature are wondering, too. They're saying they will cut back on the funds allocated for harbors improvement if the Superferry people aren't more responsive to the public's concerns.

Obviously something fishy is going on. On Maui, there was a public hearing scheduled, but the Superferry representatives declined to attend, claiming that they were invited at the last minute (um, why would you hold a public hearing about the Superferry and NOT invite representatives of the Superferry to be there to answer questions?). Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are (what are they afraid of? That irate local citizens are going to threaten bodily harm to those selected community members?) I think if the State is going to appropriate $20 million to help ensure that there is adequate infrastructure to support the Superferry that the citizens in each of the communities are entitled to have answers to their concerns and also should have the right to know who Garibaldi et al are choosing to have as representatives on that advisory board from that community.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are
    That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
    While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui
    That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
    While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.
    No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board. Stooperferry won't officially release the list until ALL the members have been chosen, and who knows when that will happen. If I was Garibaldi, I wouldn't make that list known until I was forced to do so, because I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest--as in financial--in the success of the Superferry. Why else would they be reluctant to release the names of the people already on the advisory board? That board was supposed to have met twice already.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 6th, 2006 at 11:25 AM.

No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board.
    Those two sentences contradict each other.

But at least you admit that the names are indeed out there.

I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest --as in financial--in the success of the Superferry.
    You're implying that the SuperFerry officials and the advisory board members are just plain stupid, which is ludicrous. It's inherently obvious that anyone and everyone on those boards will have their backgrounds thoroughly checked by government types and by the media. One would have to be an idiot to have a vested interested and still join the advisory board.
    And while we're on the 'vested interest' topic... it's already been shown that some of the SuperFerry's most vocal detractors have a vested interest in seeing the SuperFerry not come to pass.
    Interisland airlines and interisland barge companies head the list of detractors. And it's not the whales they're worried about.

I'm not the only one who thinks it odd that some of the members of the advisory board have "outted" themselves without Garibaldi et al officially acknowledging that they are indeed members of the advisory board. A blog entry in Poinography came up with an interesting observation: maybe the 2 members who have publicly identified themselves as members of the advisory board are the ONLY members currently on the advisory board, and if that's the case, it would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall of the conference room where they had their first two meetings!

Miulang

P.S. If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too, where they would have some clout, rather than only on "advisory boards" which, to me, are only window dressing to appease the rabble but who have no power to influence anything. Also note the Navy connection of many of the Board members. It was rumored that Hawaii Superferry was negotiating with the DoD to provide passage for troops and equipment to get from Oahu to Pohakuloa. And if they got such a contract, would non military passengers have to travel on a standby basis?
    Last edited by Miulang; April 6th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

As far as I read, the Super Ferry folks have become increasingly evasive
    in addressing the communities concerns ? What do they have to hide ?
    I believe the people expressing concerns have legitimate reason to say
    something. Sure maybe the inter island airlines and barges are behind it ?

But until there is proof that is case,I'll believe that these community concerns
    are valid. Especially from my view the increased traffic, inadequate port infrastructure and possibility of alien species being transported between the islands are on the top of list as concerns. It doesn't help that the super ferry
    folks are being evasive in addressing these issues.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

There are at least four known members of the community advisory board at this time. See this post on my blog.

How many total members on the community advisory board? Dunno. How many more to add? Dunno. They've met a few times already. When do they meet, what did they talk about, what do they intend to talk about in the future? Dunno.

A series of private meeting with unknown participants and no public input (or agenda, or minutes) is supposed to satisfy the concerns of the opponents? Big surprise that they are not satisfied.

If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too
    I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
    As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.

I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
    As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.
    Being fair and reasonable means Hawai'i Superferry should disclose formally ALL the names of the people on their advisory board pronto. They should be conferring with the Legislature and there should be sunshine on their process. I don't trust them to do the "right" thing because we ALL know they're only in it for the money. That's the role of business. And it's the role of the citizens if that business is partially subsidized by their tax money to be able to know what their money is buying.

I'm not being silly; I'm just asking for due diligence, which you can't have if one of the parties refuses full disclosure, which is what Hawai'i Stooperferry has been doing of late. If Garibaldi et al really were akamai, they would be forthcoming with all the names on the advisory board NOW and then also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors once the project is in business to provide the checks and balances to ensure that the project doesn't end up only either supporting big business or the military rather than the local tax payers of Hawai'i. Recommendations from advisory boards will do squat if the boys with the big sticks don't agree with those recommendations anyway. The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by kilikopela
    anyone see this?
    Yep. Scan back several messages and you'll see that that's what started this recent round of discussions.

(...) also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors (...) The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.
    And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
    The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.

And the only way to have clout then is to have a majority vote on the Board. And that's just not going to happen.
    The lenders will always have the majority vote. It's just that simple.
    No, they don't need a majority on the Board to make a difference. And since the State (and you, the taxpayer) are helping subsidize this venture, the least the Superferry Board could do is give the voters a say in the business, even though it might only be one voice out of many. Where I have an issue is with the fact that the taxpayers are helping subsidize this whole thing. If JF Lehman and the other businesses who are funding the enterprise were the only ones who were paying for this (ncluding offering to help pay for the needed improvements to the harbors) that would be one thing. But if they are supposed to be in "partnership" with the State for harbor improvements, stonewalling isn't going to win them any friends in the Legislature, as is witnessed by the veiled threat by some in the Legislature to withhold half of what the State promised unless Superferry comes up with some answers.

I hope you don't go into a "marriage" like this thinking that you're going to get divorced anyway (metaphorically speaking), so why bother telling your future spouse that you intend to only marry them for their money and then plan to divorce them once you know for sure you're going to get 50% of the assets?

Miulang

we want prenup...we want prenup...yeeah!

Ha! Even though Garibaldi calls it "purely coincidental", the fact that he finally produced the names of the 5 Maui advisory committee members today makes it appear as though it was in response to the Legislature's threats to withhold half of the $20 million the State had committed to support the Stooperferry (most notably, representatives Shan Tsutsui and Kalani English from Maui). Why didn't he also release the names of the advisory board members on the Big Island and Kauai at the same time? Hmmmm???? Do the Legislators from those constituencies have to rabble rouse too in order to find out who's representing them? Yeah, the people of Maui may be more vocal about the goings on of the Superferry, but it behooves taxpayers of the other islands to also keep their eyes on this private business that wants some of your tax money.

Miulang

Here we go again...the "uppity" elected officials from Maui stirring up trouble for Superferry representatives in a hearing in the Legislature yesterday...

Hey! No Porta-potties for the ferry terminals on the Neighbor Islands!

"...Garibaldi opened with a lengthy PowerPoint update, in which it was obvious that Kahului Harbor will be, by far, the most challenging of the stateís four ports planned for ferry services. As earlier reported in The Maui News, officials plan to create a "split operation" involving Pier 2, used by Young Brothers, and a parking lot now occupied by Valley Isle Motors on Kaahumanu Avenue.

A planned "terminal" probably will be a tent, and portable restrooms will be set up in the parking lot where passengers assemble. In the same area, outbound vehicles will line up to undergo security and agricultural inspections, then drive along the edge of the container yard parallel to Puunene Avenue, cross a newly constructed bridge and continue down a roadway on existing pavement to the end of Pier 2 where another "waiting area" will be created, according to Garibaldi. Vehicles will be loaded and unloaded on a floating barge that the state will build at the end of the pier.

Tsutsui questioned the types of facilities planned. Garibaldi said it hadnít been determined what type of "tent structure" would be used, but that portable restrooms "like the ones used for cruise ship passengers" will be put in place.

"Not single portapotties, but much nicer," he said.

Garibaldi said itís difficult to get federal moneys for facilities at this point, even though money is out there, because itís like "the chicken and the egg."

"Letís get something into service that makes sense," he said, before investing a lot into permanent infrastructure...."

Miulang

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast