X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu's "neighbor islands" Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by waioli kai
    Has not the back of 'Aloha' already been broken, or, does it remain to be broken by cheap, minimal security, one-way interisland transport of our islands' destitute, homeless, needy humans, Hawaiian Americans all, or at least all who otherwise dwell on Oahu seek respite in the public, or otherwise, spaces on Oahu's "neighbor islands" neighborhoods.
    Is there a problem with people moving around from island to island?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Is there a problem with people moving around from island to island?
      Not for me, my concern is the lack of planning and implemention of infrastructure
      improvememts to support HSF on the neighbor island harbors (especially at Kahului). It seems the powers that be want to shove this down everyones throat without any regard to consequences. To me that is utterly unacceptable.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Moving Arounders, Re: Oahu's "neighbor islands", Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

--Is there a problem with people moving around from island to island?--
        "Moving around from island to island"... What is that? Something like tourism? No problem, plenty of hotel rooms and timeshares for all those "moving around", right?

Comment

1to4a.m. Prime Time

--In short it irritates me when people try to shove something (eg, superferry)on all of us when its not ready for prime time.--

For more than just the first few months there will be only one such ferry operating to and from Oahu. "Prime time" for some arrivals and departures is in the 1to4am time frame. Good thing ferry riders can take their vehicles, they'll need them to get about and likely sleep in at that time of day.

The proposed ferry schedule is probably still available on line. For those who are gung-ho to be ferried about from harbor to harbor, the schedule is worth looking at.

Wonder what will qualify the ferry crew member who is tasked with the responsibility of keeping the ferry from wounding and/or killing Hawaii's ocean mammals? A sixth sense?
          Last edited by waioli kai; May 31, 2006, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
            Not for me, my concern is the lack of planning and implemention of infrastructure
            improvememts to support HSF on the neighbor island harbors (especially at Kahului). It seems the powers that be want to shove this down everyones throat without any regard to consequences. To me that is utterly unacceptable.
            The other powers, who want to make sure the public never gets ferry service, will be equally to blame. As long as the rabid anti-ferry crowd makes unreasonable demands, reasonable solutions won't be possible and we'll all suffer.

Comment

rabid pro-ferry dreamers

--re: Kahului Harbor Master Steve Pfister= LikaNui: "Exactly what are his business and educational qualifications for making such an assumption?
              It may take a minute or so, but you should read the Maui News article you cited before berating Mr. Pfister for his allegedly being in league with what you deem to be 'the rabid anti-ferry powers': “I would hate to loseSuperferry, ” said Pfister, who even drinks his coffee from a Superferry mug that he bought over the Internet. “I think it’s a real boon for the state, but you just can’t fit a square peg into a round hole.”
              Lika Nui: "... I'm the Queen of England." Yes, in your neighborhood perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                The other powers, who want to make sure the public never gets ferry service, will be equally to blame. As long as the rabid anti-ferry crowd makes unreasonable demands, reasonable solutions won't be possible and we'll all suffer.
                Unreasonable demands...hmmm..It seems to me Kahului Harbor will never be
                ready for this service. As there is not adequate infrastructure in place to
                support HSF. Young Brothers is going to lose a significant amount of wharfage.
                Thus affecting shipping to Maui. The basic infrastructure like toliets, roads
                and shelter are going to be inadequate. Luckily HSF won't be starting to service Kawaihae until 2009, so we got time to see how much they can overburden
                Kauai and Kahului's harbors. As in reality only Honolulu's harbor is capable of
                handling this service. I just hope HSF goes bankrupt honestly.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: rabid pro-ferry dreamers

Originally posted by waioli kai
                  --re: Kahului Harbor Master Steve Pfister= LikaNui: "Exactly what are his business and educational qualifications for making such an assumption?
                  It may take a minute or so, but you should read the Maui News article you cited before berating Mr. Pfister for his allegedly being in league with what you deem to be 'the rabid anti-ferry powers'
                  You have obviously confused me with someone else. I'm NOT the person who wrote about "rabid ainti-ferry powers".
                  You "should read the article you cited before berating" me.

Further, I was only responding to the part of the article that was quoted here. I didn't have time to read the entire article, so I wasn't aware that the harbormaster quote was being taken out of context by the person who posted it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: rabid pro-ferry dreamers

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    You have obviously confused me with someone else. I'm NOT the person who wrote about "rabid ainti-ferry powers".
                    You "should read the article you cited before berating" me.

Further, I was only responding to the part of the article that was quoted here. I didn't have time to read the entire article, so I wasn't aware that the harbormaster quote was being taken out of context by the person who posted it.

Firstly, I am not going to let you off the hook that easily. You posted
                    this above, which as close accusing the harbormaster to be "anti-ferry"

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...8&postcount=88

1) Exactly what are his business and educational qualifications for making such an assumption?
                    2) Doesn't the newspaper think an equal number of people would say just the opposite?
                    3) Does anyone really think the backers of the SuperFerry would invest tens of millions of their own dollars if they weren't 101% positive it would NOT be "struggling to survive" within the first month or two?
                    PuhLEEZE.

What's up with harbormasters these days? We've got one from Waianae running for a high political position, and now one from Maui who's suddenly an expert on big business.
                    And I'm the Queen of England.

Secondly, don't try to shift blame on to me for taking his coments out of context. I didn't modify his comments. Go and read the article yourself.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: rabid pro-ferry dreamers

Firstly, I am not going to let you off the hook that easily. You posted
                      this above, which as close accusing the harbormaster to be "anti-ferry"
                      Please read message #95 in this thread, where BEAKER was the person who made the "rabid anti-ferry" comment. It was NOT me. What part of that is difficult to comprehend?
                      (And by the way, I'm not on any kind of hook for you to let me off of.)

Secondly, don't try to shift blame on to me for taking his coments out of context. I didn't modify his comments.
                      No, you didn't. But what you did do was to select only one part of his comments.

Comment

Please read message #95 in this thread, where BEAKER was the person who made the "rabid anti-ferry" comment. It was NOT me. What part of that is difficult to comprehend?
                        (And by the way, I'm not on any kind of hook for you to let me off of.)
                        Whatever...

No, you didn't. But what you did do was to select only one part of his comments.
                        The truth of the matter is I got burned by Mel in the past by quoting too much from newspaper articles. So if you want to know why it is that way, thats the reason. Take it up with Mel...
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Whatever.
                          I'll take that as an acknowledgment that you do now realize it was Beaker who used the "rabid anti-ferry" term and not me. Apology accepted.

The truth of the matter is I got burned by Mel in the past by quoting too much from newspaper articles. So if you want to know why it is that way, thats the reason.
                          Thanks for it explaining that, and it makes perfect sense. Therefore, I also apologize to you.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

That Kahului harbormaster, if you read the Maui News story quoted above, actually WANTS the Superferry to succeed. So does the Mayor and just about everyone else (including the small business people of Maui). Unfortunately, as he put it, he likes 777s too, but one of those could never land on Molokai, just as Superferry can't fit in Kahului Harbor without causing some major problems for the residents of Maui.

As a traveller to Maui on Superferry you might also consider this: you can ride in style to Maui on Superferry, but your return trip home to Honolulu ain't gonna be a bed of roses. For one thing, in its current planned configuration, you'd probably have to head for the harbor at least 3 or 4 hours ahead of the sailing time (for car inspections, decontamination, etc). While you're waiting there, if you need to use a bathroom, you head for the bank of PortaPotties that will be stationed in the "waiting room" area, which by the way, will just be one of those big tentlike things which will only protect you from the sun but not from the heat of the Maui sun because it won't have air conditioning (open sides). Need something to eat? Maybe they'll have a few vending machines handy.

If you're expecting Kahului to have a real "terminal" you're going to have to do some wishful thinking. Garibaldi et al don't want to spend any money on permanent facilities right now, which kind of tells me the whole thing hasn't been thought out very well.

I still think having the Superferry dock at Ma'alaea or on a new pier OUTSIDE the current harbor would make more sense. Of course, that would mean more planning time and the Mayor doesn't want to waste any more time getting the docks ready (he says the money's been allocated, so let's spend it). In the process, they might have to demolish 2 historic buildings (the old A&B General Store and the old Kahului RR train depot, both of which now house small businesses). All of this for progress?

Sometimes you have to let things blow up in peoples' faces before anyone will believe what you're saying (in the meantime, they call it the "politics of no" ). Sadly, I think this is what will happen to Superferry on Maui in its current planned incarnation.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Sometimes you have to let things blow up in peoples' faces before anyone will believe what you're saying (in the meantime, they call it the "politics of no" ). Sadly, I think this is what will happen to Superferry on Maui in its current planned incarnation.

I couldn't agree with you more. The moment truth is quickly approaching.
                              It won't be a pretty situation I tell you at all. In short this whole service
                              really has not not been thought out very well.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

-- Lika Nui- You have obviously confused me with someone else. I'm NOT the person who wrote about "rabid ainti-ferry powers". -

Really, I don't want to avoid this hydrofoil ferry topic discussion point,, but.... Yes, it is unsettling to one, and to others, for one to be written or spoken of with one's own words being taken out of context and refuted for specious, when not just downright fallacious reasons, invented; e.g., when I wrote 'rabid ainti-ferry powers' it was not attributed to you, which is why it is embraced with single ' quotation marks, not double " quotation marks as you above write it. Not attributing any malice on your part I take your mistranscription to be your inadvertant mistake. At the time I wrote 'rabid anti-ferry powers' I certainly had no intention of attributing the phrase to you, in fact, I fully intended, and still intend to take credit for inventing the phrase unless of course it turns up in some previous written or spoken material of someone else. Now about "rabid pro-ferry dreamers", that is pure imagination. I am certain that I have never read such a phrase until this forum. Some of those dreamers are just dreamers, and nothing more sinister than that. But, as in all corporatUSt "adventures", there are also rabid pro-ferry schemers where the U.S. Department of Defense feeds all takers.

Comment

Working...
                                X