HawaiiThreads.com and HawaiiAnswers.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads.com and HawaiiAnswers.com

As you may know, one of the sister sites of HawaiiThreads.com is HawaiiAnswers.com, intended as a "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ) repository for the islands.

I once assembled the USENET 'alt.culture.hawaii' FAQ (an incredible ten years ago) to try and collect the types of questions people commonly asked in the newsgroup, and some of the best answers. HawaiiAnswers.com continues in this spirit, and already has entries from "How to make a spam musubi?" to "Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?"

While there is already a mailing list where some of these questions are forwarded to a group of brainy answerfolk, I've noticed that HawaiiThreads.com sees its share of repeat questions, and more importantly, has several members who excel in providing great answers, researching if neccessary, and going above and beyond (even when the simplest answer is, "Just search for it yourself, dummy!").

So I was wondering if anyone thought it might be a good idea for some of the questions that come through HawaiiAnswers.com get posted on occasion to HawaiiThreads.com, in the correct forum but perhaps under a special username. Then y'all could give some input (knowing in advance it's for a more general audience), and people with questions could have an even greater selection and depth of answers.

To be sure, questions that are specific to a person ("I'm a mechanic and I want to live in Makiki, how much...") or specific to a time ("Where is the Bob Marley Festival next week?") wouldn't be HawaiiAnswers.com questions. And trust me, the site gets all kinds of stuff, particularly attempts to find ex wives, newspaper clippings, and "a list of all {x} in {y} that cost less than {z}." I'd be looking specifically to get help on questions that are more general, but require answers more "fuzzy" than just an encyclopedia entry or where different answers are possible.

There will also be straight "trivia" type questions, though, where Google has simply failed us ("What song was used in the commercial for...").

What do you think? Bring it on? Or is the natural flow of questions already arriving in HawaiiThreads.com keeping us busy enough?

Re: HawaiiThreads.com and HawaiiAnswers.com

Sure, why not.

Comment

I kinda sorta thot it was dead, cuz it sat dormant for so long with such little info... considering all da material that coulda been gleaned off and from HT by now!

besides, I think da motto one is wrong.
      Should be:

Following the restoration of the Hawaiian Sovereign Kingdom after a short-lived British takeover of the Hawaiian islands, on July 31, 1843, at a ceremony held at the Kawaiahao Church, King Kamehameha III spoke the words, "Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono"; The sovereignty of the land is preserved in Justice."

Comment

Well, I didn't feel right republishing stuff from HawaiiThreads.com without it being clear that it could happen first. Hence, this query, and the likely use of a special ID to post the questions.

Besides. While we do get a lot of the same kinds of questions here, I wouldn't neccessarily put the answers in a FAQ. "How do I move to Hawaii?" is a popular category, but then you have to get into what the person does, where they want to live, and other factors that are quite relevant to how we answer, whether it's "That sounds like a good plan, why not consider this neighborhood," to "Plan better, buddy, or don't do it."

But, yeah, HawaiiAnswers.com has been dormant for a while, in part because most of the recent questions are situation specific ("We will be in Hawaii from {x} to {y}, and are looking for {z} at..."). You've at least reminded me to have that site direct people here for more varied, personal answers than a FAQ site.

Comment

As long as Glen's on board, that's all you really need. He's a one-man answering crew.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            As long as Glen's on board, that's all you really need. He's a one-man answering crew.
            Me and my Google.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
              I once assembled the USENET 'alt.culture.hawaii' FAQ
              Dear Lord, please don't let Jai Maharaj/Jay Stevens or AlohaCyberian/Keith Martin find out about HawaiiThreads!

What do you think? Bring it on? Or is the natural flow of questions already arriving in HawaiiThreads.com keeping us busy enough?
              I'd vote for "busy enough", but hey, what do I know?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                Dear Lord, please don't let Jai Maharaj/Jay Stevens or AlohaCyberian/Keith Martin find out about HawaiiThreads!
                Uh oh. You mentioned them. Now if they Google on their names, they'll see this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Uh oh. You mentioned them. Now if they Google on their names, they'll see this thread...
                  Oh, gawd. I don't remember the second one, but the militant vegetarian I do remember. Ryan, if you see the good doctor register, shoot him on sight!
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

damn, Glen! You repeated it. why you wen go and steh go doin dat wen we jest steh go telling you no go steh doin dat!?
                    Google find repeats mo fastah!

Comment

Working...
                    X