What does 'katonk' mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does 'katonk' mean?

Yes, its a word to describe something, not the sound that cartoons make when they get hit by an object.

I received that word from my english class, and it was from the local book "Tattoo". The teacher said that no one will find it in any dictionary, so I'm hoping someone would help me out.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What does 'katonk' mean?

Mainland Japanese.....Banana....Yellow on the outside...White on the inside
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Yes, its a word to describe something, not the sound that cartoons make when they get hit by an object.

I received that word from my english class, and it was from the local book "Tattoo". The teacher said that no one will find it in any dictionary, so I'm hoping someone would help me out.

katonk
      (kah tonk)

Definition: Asian American from the continental US
      Used In A Sentence: Michael stay one katonk. Das why he talk l'dat.
      In English?: Michael is from the mainland so he speaks a little differently than we do.

http://www.e-hawaii.com/fun/pidgin/s...m.asp?letter=K

from intermediate skool it was referred as a mainland born japanese american...
      Reggie aka pinakboy
      Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
      Raw Eats Veggie Videos
      Recipe Tube TV!
      Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
        katonk
        (kah tonk)

Definition: Asian American from the continental US
        Used In A Sentence: Michael stay one katonk. Das why he talk l'dat.
        In English?: Michael is from the mainland so he speaks a little differently than we do.

http://www.e-hawaii.com/fun/pidgin/s...m.asp?letter=K

from intermediate skool it was referred as a mainland born japanese american...
        Shoot, I forgot about ehawaii. Thanks!
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

A katonk has trouble understanding pidgin spoken by Hawaii-born Japanese.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I always thought it was spelled "kotonk".

Comment

I think it's "katonk", which is what Mainland born soldiers of Japanese ancestry who fought alongside the local Japanese from Hawai'i in the 442nd were called. They have a website: http://www.katonk.com/

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, that's how da kotonks spell um.

Comment

but it does reference a sound, supposedly the sound of the mainland japanese head when it hits the wall in a fight with the local japanese I wonder who exactly first coined the phrase, was it born in the internment camps or the 442nd or prior to.
                  this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by poi cocktail :)
                    but it does reference a sound, supposedly the sound of the mainland japanese head when it hits the wall in a fight with the local japanese I wonder who exactly first coined the phrase, was it born in the internment camps or the 442nd or prior to.
                    The sound when a mainland Japanese head hits a wall or the floor is "kotonk." If they were wearing a helmet at the time, then it's "katonk."
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Of course!

Comment

And the katonks called Hawaiian Japanese Americans "Buddhaheads" (started out as a slang: "buta" head--or pigheaded, because I guess the local Japanese Americans didn't like taking orders very much)

Miulang

Comment

OK, now how about "bobura"? That's another label that gets tossed around along with "buddha-head" and "kotonk", but I have to admit that I am a little hazy on exactly who it's supposed to apply to. Is that a sign that they're all getting old fashioned and going out of use?

Comment

Apparently, "bobora" was used for an FOB Japanese. "Kibei" was a Japanese American who was schooled in Japan.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; August 12, 2005, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              OK, now how about "bobura"? That's another label that gets tossed around along with "buddha-head" and "kotonk", but I have to admit that I am a little hazy on exactly who it's supposed to apply to. Is that a sign that they're all getting old fashioned and going out of use?
                              I've never heard that one, but its uh, hearkening up memories of my Vovo who, when she called you a babooz, she was calling you stupid.

</crosses self, God Blaaass her soul>

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X