Candlelight Vigil for Kamehameha Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candlelight Vigil for Kamehameha Schools

I wasn't sure if anyone else was aware of this Ohana Conch event or not. I just received the info in my Inbox this morning. (Email Ksscentregalum@aol.com to be added to the mailing list.) People in Hawai`i and on the mainland are encouraged to participate.

OHANA CONCH members on the Mainland (Kamehameha Schools Alumni and other Hawaiians OR Hawaiians at Heart)

1. I just received this request from the Kamehameha Schools. See FORWARD Below.

2. This is a request from the Kamehameha Schools Public Relations for a candlelight/prayer vigil on Thursday evening (Times below) for Kamehameha Schools and what the school stands for in the education of the indigenous peoples of Hawaii (the native Hawaiians) using the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Trust that the Trustees have managed so well in the past to educate "native Hawaiians." Legal court rulings are attempting to disrupt this capability of the Trust. NOTE: If your city or location is organizing a candlelight and prayer vigil about this KS issue, please attend that in lieu of this event.

3. Time: Thursday Evening Aug 18, 2005, 11 PM CST, 11:59: EST, 10 PM MST, 9 PM PST

Make any time adjustments as necessary for your location or situation.

Light a Candle and say a Prayer for the proper resolution of this Important Issue to Hawaii and the Hawaiians. The proper resolution of such an important issue as education "is the right and fair resolution for native Hawaiians pulling themselves up in dignity with their own native Hawaiian assets." This recent legal court ruling on discrimination (entry qualifications) undoes for future Hawaiians the capability for education and the betterment of the Hawaiian people.

4. If you were able to make this SMALL gesture "in support of the Kamehameha Schools at this time," (OR Attended another vigil OR did something else) please send me an email. Just "Reply to All" ADDRESS above.

If possible, please identify yourself as a KS Graduate, Hawaiian, Hawaiian At Heart, Interested Person, Lived in Hawaii, CONCH reader, etc. If you were able to do something else, let me know again by email so we can send this information forward.

Thank you for your support of this issue in advance. We need everyone's help in this situation.

5. If you do not understand what this is all about, send me an email or call the Number below.

6. INFO: So, the reason for this message to all of you is to see whether any of the other alumni regions are willing and able to organize something along the lines outlined above, especially given the very short time frame. I thought it best that everyone see the same message at the same time and have the opportunity to share your mana`o on the proposal. Please also know that, although Kamehameha cannot realistically coordinate the logistics for your respective regions, we would be happy to assist with defraying some of the costs incurred, if that would help.

Well, this is a very long-winded message - e kala mai ia`u ! Appreciate hearing your thoughts and know that we offer a very heartfelt aloha and mahalo to Noe Jai and Judge Fernandez for sharing their proposals and plans.

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Dawn Farm-Ramsey
    Community Relations Manager
    Kamehameha Schools
    (808) 523-6363

Jim Burgess
    KSB 66
    Austin, Texas

~'Ailina
Working...
X