The day they stopped buying the 'Tizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day they stopped buying the 'Tizer

From another thread... (sorry, while I enjoy thread drift as much as the next person, thought I'd open up a new can of worms...):

>>>
    What else? Oh, man it bugs me when you all stop buying The Advertiser! People who live in Hawaii work there. People who grew up here. People who moved here and got lucky to get hired there. And every person who works at The Advertiser knows they are pretty well secure as long as the Star-Bulletin continues to pop out a paper every day. So don't think Advertiser people want to put the SB out of business. They would prefer it if you'd read both papers instead of NONE. The rank and file at The Advertiser are your friends and neighbors and many at one paper have friends at the other.
    <<<

Might sound crazy coming from me, but to an extent, I agree with this commentary. We do need two "major dailies" (if you will) here, and the best case scenario is for everyone to buy both papers. Heck, I just tossed 50 cents into a (gasp!) white box to check out what the (ahem) "enemy" is up to. It really does benefit all in this town to keep both papers in business. How about subscribe to the 'Bull and buy rack 'Tizers? Maybe that sounds better from my vantage point. And yes, I have many friends over at the 'Tizer (I did my internship there many moons ago), and we all get along (for the most part). This of course, is no commentary on the upper crust there. What happened to the 'Bull a few years back is still fresh in my mind. I'll leave that at that.

Re: The day they stopped buying the 'Tizer

I don't know who wrote what Dick just quoted, but while I agree that by reading the Advertiser we support our friends and neighbors, that support should be earned, and if we're displeased with a local paper, the way we express ourselves is by not purchasing it. If my not paying for the Advertiser means anything to the paper, it will figure out what I'm displeased with. I'm just one reader, so it's possible that what I think doesn't matter, and that's totally fine -- we'll just do without each other.

It is good for the city to have two independent dailies, I agree. One reason is the choice, and at least right now, the choice for me is clear. I still read both papers, but unless the front page headlines are more compelling in The Advertiser, I pick up the Star-Bulletin. My friends and neighbors do all sorts of legitimate business that I don't patronize. When they provide products or services I need, then I'll support them.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I agree that we need two dailies. every market deserves two, and we are actually very fortunate to have both papers. The Bulletin is doing a lot of good things and is at the very least keeping the Advertiser on its toes, and that's worthwhile in itself.

For a town of our size, we are actually pretty well served in terms of news media. The Weekly should be more vigorous, bigger and better, but we have at least four legitimate print sources, and that's saying something.

Comment

>>>and if we're displeased with a local paper, the way we express ourselves is by not purchasing it. If my not paying for the Advertiser means anything to the paper, it will figure out what I'm displeased with. I'm just one reader, so it's possible that what I think doesn't matter, and that's totally fine -- we'll just do without each other.
        <<<

Personally, if I'm doing something that readers don't like, I'd like to know about it. I get comments every so often from people about my photos, and usually take what they say under advisement, perhaps applying it to future work if it's constructive. I'd suggest forwarding your concerns to the powers that be (maybe you already have, I dunno). I know we at the 'Bull listen to what our readers have to say, and appreciate comments, both positive and, well, to put it nicely, not so positive.

And for what it's worth, we also really appreciate the support the community has given us in recent years.

Comment

The Adverister has a state wide circulation while the Star-Bulletin is an Oahu wide paper. So it seems to most of us who live on Oahu we are a 2 paper town. But then again so would Maui, Kauai and the Big Island be a 2 paper town if their local paper was up against the Adverister.

Comment

Working...
          X