Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Well, isolated here on Maui I can offer that Koho's has one of the best burgers on island (especially the teri-burger).

What about Oahu and other islands??

**feels a rumbly in my tumbly, now**

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.
    Er, yeah, these are the ones I'm talking about as I'm kind of a passionate burger elitist.

And having the juice drip down my arms as I shove the burger in my face is a real fetish of mine...

Hmm. The only two that come to mind are Teddy's Bigger Burgers on Monsarrat near Diamond Head, and Kua `Aina Burger (North Shore preferred, but Ward will do). I've only had the former once, but the latter I can't stay away from!

Thumbs up Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

The Shack - Mililani

My favorite is at Bubba Gump's, Ala Moana.

I agree with pzarquon. Teddy's and Kua `Aina are the best. W & M near St. Louis / Chaminade is also a real institution but their burgers are kind of flat compared to the other two. I actually liked Big City Diner's Kim Chee Burger but have to admit that there was nothing amazing about the burger itself other than having kim chee on the top. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Hmm. The only two that come to mind are Teddy's Bigger Burgers on Monsarrat near Diamond Head, and Kua `Aina Burger (North Shore preferred, but Ward will do). I've only had the former once, but the latter I can't stay away from!

If this was 25 years ago and on the Big Island I say Cafe 100.

I know that they sell hamburgers at L&L Drive In but if I go there I tend to have BBQ Chicken Plate lunch instead, unless it's a Saturday where the Young Street location has it's daily special of BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak.

Talking Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

jumbo jack
    ultimate cheeseburger
    whopper

cheap eats!

didja kno dat at Jack's u can ask the order taker thru da drivethru for condiments like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and mayo for FREE??

I order my ultimate cheeseburger and add the lettuce, onions, tomatoes and more mayo everytime!! dang messy but good eh??!!

I personally like Like Like Drive Inn's Burgers. I loved the type of patty that they make.
    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Crap, I love to eat homemade style burgers, but I don't eat them if they have little onions mixed in with the meat. I just can't do it...but that's usually how most burgers are with the exception of national chains. I need to find a place that serves good burgers with no onions in 'em.

I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!

Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.

Where abouts is Nico's?

The cheesburger at the Pineapple Room aka Alan Wongs at Ala Moana is expensive but tastes pretty good.

Wish we had a Fuddruckers here. I understand a Cheesburger Factory opened up at Ala Moana recently.

KalihiBoy

Nico's is at Pier 38. From Nimitz turn makai at the New Eagle Cafe/old Xerox building intersection. It's in the Pacific Ocean warehouse just before the fish auction house.

edited to add: You're right about the Cheeseburger Factory at Ala Moana, it's in the food court. Has anyone tried it yet?
    Last edited by glossyp; July 10th, 2005 at 07:08 AM.

I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

wasn't what bad?
    compared to what, again?

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
    Unfortunately , I have to revise this opinion. After several times ordering the burger there, we went yesterday and they are now using pre-formed, commercial patties instead of the hand made ones. Makes the burgers flat and dry. This really bums me out.

Hmmmm. I thought I answered to this thread but after checking, I didn't. So, here's my 2cents of where the best cheeseburgers are at!

Uptown Cafe on School Street

Janes Fountain on Liliha Steet

and I also enjoy the Cheeseburgers at Byrons Drive Inn.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
    Took a overnight trip to Kauai recently and had lunch at Bubba's in Hanalei. Long lines and slow service, but a really good burger.

First of all, I must say thanks for everyone for their posts. Even though I didn't start the thread, it has been very helpful with a project we worked on throughout the summer. The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005

I like the Koko Burger at Koko cafe in the Hale Koa. Delicious! Especially delivered by room service after a long, wonderful day in Paradise.

Here's my picks...
    • Pepperjack Cheese Burger - Matters of Taste, Gentry Center on Nimitz
    (Fantastic hand-made char-grilled delight, served with a pickle and carrot stick)
    • Beachside Burger with Pepperjack Cheese - Duke's Barefoot Bar, Waikiki
    (Another char-grilled delight. Tasty onion roll bun. And their Beachside waffle-cut fries are da' best... Plus a beachfront view to boot!)
    • Swiss N' Shroom Burger - Shack Hawaii Kai (I don't consider them a "national chain)
    (Excellent char-grilled flavor, and sitting on the marina with this and a side of their curly fries is next to heaven on earth)
    • Magic Mushroom Burger - Big City Diner
    (Can you tell I like mushroom burgers? Nice ambiance, and skin-on fries are ono!)
    • Char-Grill Burger - Jameson's Haleiwa
    (Hand-pattied delight, nicely char-grilled with an onion bun, and excellent waffle cut fries)

Most of these picks are in the $6-9 range including the fries. Sorry, pretty tough finding a local spot in a prime location under that price.

Does anyone remember BURGERLAND on Monsarrat? It's now Diamond Head Grill and Market. They had the best tasting local style burgers!
    Last edited by Pomai; October 4th, 2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Removed national chains out of my list

The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005
    Very cool. Who would've thought eating hamburgers would be so much work? Some unexpected findings, too.

I have to admit, I was someone who propagated the mythology of the Kua 'Aina burger, and I probably still like 'em better than I should. But I totally agree on the Kulia Grill award. Even pre-prepared, wrapped and waiting, they're absolutely delicious - great from the bread to the moistness of the meat to the complimentary choice in cheese (I always get the cheeseburger). And those "experimental" chips blow Kua `Aina's soggy nest of potato strings away.

I've been hearing a lot about Nico's lately. Guess that means I'll have to make a special effort to check 'em out, for both the seafood and the burger!

Kulia Grill.. hmmm, what a find!

Can't beat the price, location and quality of ingredients, according to the HawaiiDiner.com write-up.

I'm determined to have lunch there some time this week! Will post about it after.

How ironic also, as I just started a thread about the new JABSOM center.

More and more I'll have to "eat" my words.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 4th, 2005 at 07:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast