Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

I had one on Saturday from Kua Aina at Ward. While eating it I was thinking about this thread and it occured to me what that one of the things that might make a burger enjoyable to eat would be the lettuce.

If it's shreaded like the Big Mac and the Whopper then there is a tendency for the shreaded lettuce to drop from the sandwich which is to me a bad thing.

Kua Aina's burger had the entire leaf with the stiff middle part in it. If the lettuce is in the burger it makes the sandwich way thicker, which might be a problem to eat it, but at least you have the option to use the leaf or not (and you can always eat it by itself).

For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      there is a tendency for the shreaded lettuce to drop from the sandwich which is to me a bad thing.
      I've got to nominate that one for the most bizarre sentence of the day. (And with this group, that's a difficult distinction to earn. )

For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part.
      Well, maybe the most bizarre two sentences.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Ward? Market City? Shows how out of touch I am. (Eh, Albert? ) The last two MOS Burger outlets I've seen were on University in the YMCA building years and years ago, and then in the increasingly high-rent Ewa end of Waikiki on Kalakaua. Never had one yet... mostly 'cause my friends at UH always called 'em "moss burgers."
        With good reason. They are pretty terrible.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Nico's has been mentioned previously as the home of a great burger. A friend of mine just took me there today, and I finally went for a burger instead of one of their famous seafood dishes. And I gotta say, it was pretty darn good! Burger patties had a nice char but were very tender inside. The cheese, in particular, was perfect. Just stringy enough. Two thumbs up.

Comment

Burger patties had a nice char but were very tender inside. The cheese, in particular, was perfect. Just stringy enough. Two thumbs up.
            The lettuce, man... tell us about the lettuce!!! Shredded or chunky?

(Sorry, Helen. I couldn't resist. Just a joke, k?)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
              With good reason. They are pretty terrible.
              There was MOS Burger outlet for a short while in the Pearl Kai Center across Tower Records. That was more than a decade or two ago, though.

MOS translated to "Mountain, Ocean, Sun."

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                There was MOS Burger outlet for a short while in the Pearl Kai Center across Tower Records. That was more than a decade or two ago, though.

MOS translated to "Mountain, Ocean, Sun."
                I would go to the mountain, ocean or sun in order to steer completely clear of ever eating one of those nasty things ever again.
                Ugh. Super-awful ... and you know me, food's my favorite!
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                  I had the burger at Town (in Kaimuki) this week and it was soooooo ono!

The showstring fries are good too.
                  I finallly had the burger at town and it is excellent. North Shore Cattle Co. beef, brioche bun and served with the aforementioned fries which are amazing - $7.49. We splurged and added gorgonzola cheese for an extra $1. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by lokelani
                    Big City Diner!!

I love the mushroom burgers... fresh mushrooms & garlic.. yum... They are the BEST! we once sat on a table & all the girls ordered like 5 mushroom burgers & 1 portabello mushroom burger.... & if I'm going to pay 8$ for my burger... I'd much rather sit in a nice air conditioned restaurant then outside sitting next to cars on a hot summer day ... (if I had to pick kua aina ward or big city diner ward.... ) ...besides I love their bubbies ice cream & brownie pie.. yum!

ok - now I'm reading the hamburger thread! I also like Big City Diner simply because its the ONLY place that seems to understand "extremely well, well done & no tomatoes any where near my burger!" Anyplace that can manage THAT order correctly gets the most points from me.

Fran
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The last time I tried to order a burger the way I like it, Big City Diner required me to sign a waiver. It was tasty, but the whole legal liability thing was a downer.

Yeah, I know, in this day and age, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and you're told just about everywhere that your only options are "medium well and above." But I'm beginning to think that a "best burger" joint would probably someday have to be a hole in the wall that isn't afraid of a little pink meat.

Comment

The last time I tried to order a burger the way I like it, Big City Diner required me to sign a waiver. It was tasty, but the whole legal liability thing was a downer.

Yeah, I know, in this day and age, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and you're told just about everywhere that your only options are "medium well and above." But I'm beginning to think that a "best burger" joint would probably someday have to be a hole in the wall that isn't afraid of a little pink meat.

I don't mind a little pink - its when its soooooo juicy that the bun gets wet, thats what I don't like. Same reason for no tomatoes - the bun gets all wet, then I have to throw it out & I'm wasting my $8. IMHO - the very best burger is the one I cook at home!

(reason for edit: too many exclamation points )
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

For Big City Diner, I remember a year ago a friend ordered her burger rare and because it was below medium rare she had to sign a waiver because the Dept. of Health said you have to cook it to a least medium rare.

On the messy burger issue, the more things drop, the less enjoyable, eating the burger gets, but for me that varies. I won't get bent out of shape if a small drop of ketscup or burger grease drops on the plate (or the burger wrapper) when the burger is almost gone. I do shake my head when I first bite on the burger and on the other side drips of glob of sauce.

Comment

I just have issues with wet bread - it comes from a place back in the dark ages of my childhood.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                              I just have issues with wet bread - it comes from a place back in the dark ages of my childhood.
                              Hamaga steak, instead!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                                The lettuce, man... tell us about the lettuce!!! Shredded or chunky?

(Sorry, Helen. I couldn't resist. Just a joke, k?)
                                Not a joke to me....I hate full leaf lettuce on ANY sandwich.... Shredded all the way, ESPECIALLY on burgers :-)
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X