Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

having been a former teddy's devotee and with high regard for hole-in-the-wall burgers from like diner's as well as high-end burgers from mariposa and even bar/restaurant burgers from moose's, i recommend to you all to skip kua aina and burgers on the edge and high ye to what eric and i believe to be the new best burger-specialty restaurant: the counter in kahala mall. yes, it's pricey; yes, it's a joint partially owned by a celeb; yes, it's a chain; and most annoying--it's at kahala mall. but:
    • 100% fresh ground angus
    • fed on a vegetarian diet
    • hormone free
    • antibiotic free
    • patties starting at 1/3 lb...after cooking, not before
    • not merely custom cooked--you can have it served pink in the middle without having to sign a waiver!!! *happyhappyjoyjoy*

and that's just the beef itself. check out the menu. according to the website, you can build about 300,000 different burgers given their choices. to give you an idea of price and variety, my last burger there was 1/3 lb, topped with gruyere, roasted red peppers, roasted chiles, lettuce and grilled onions along with a spicy sour cream, all on a toasted english muffin. it cost me $10. it's not someplace i'd go every week, but if i were to limit myself to a burger a month or a quarter, the counter is where i'd go each time.

did i mention they have shakes, malts, apple crumble, sweet potato fries, onion strings, waialua soda AND a full bar?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      [...]check out the menu. [...]
      OMG!!!!!!! Can't wait to try the carne asada burger.

Comment

• Darn you!

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        Sorry - I would have to go next door with the Outrigger Canoe Club's Black Angus Burger.
        Now I gotta find someone to get me in there to try it...

But I'll be happy having the Elks Burger tonite any way.

Music lovers should be at the Elks tonite @ 6pm for some of the best music around (this, no one can deny!) Mike Kaawa/guitar & vocals, Ocean Kaowili/bass & vocals, Bobby Ingano/steel, and the legendary Eddie Kamae, whom will be doing plenty of Son's Of Hawaii material. Last week was terrific.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Shiro's is pretty good. W&M is pretty good. Kau aina is ok. The Counter was undersalted but everything else about the burger was perfect.
          My favorite burger on Oahu is the Slaughter House Five from Lulu's in Waiks. It's a burger topped with pastrami, pepperoni, ham, bacon, kalua pig and three cheeses. Friggin unbelievable. This place is notorious for poor service though.
          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            OMG!!!!!!! Can't wait to try the carne asada burger.
            I'm munching as I type! It's grossly overpriced for a burger and worth every bite!!! Nirvaaaaaaaaana!

This 'burger' doesn't use ground beef; rather, skirt steak which is why I wanted to try it. Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently? If so, where...on Oahu?!

Comment

I'm munching as I type! It's grossly overpriced for a burger and worth every bite!!! Nirvaaaaaaaaana!

This 'burger' doesn't use ground beef; rather, skirt steak which is why I wanted to try it. Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently? If so, where...on Oahu?!
              Costco has Flap Steak, although not the same as skirt steak it is just as good if not better, to me anyway, and it very reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                Costco has Flap Steak,[...]
                I'll be durned...never heard of flap steak but I'll look forward to trying it. Thx, D'Alani.

Comment

Definately The Shack, now and forever.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

i ve been there once for lunch, and it is sort of a trendy place, but extensive condiments, my only 'beef' with them is that if you order the normal burger size, it is sort of on the small size. That old Clara Pellar Wendy's hamburger skit came to mind, "where's the beef?". Also, it reminded me right away of that hat Dwayne Wayans wore on "In Living Color's Men on Film skit". It was small. IMO. But then again, I am 6'2" and 230 pounds. So I need a meal. Loved the fries, and the sweet potato fries.
                    n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                      [...]if you order the normal burger size, it is sort of on the small size.[...]
                      Size is relative! I couldn't finish my burger in one sitting!

Now, for homemade burgers this trio of Asian inspired burgers sounds fantastic!

(Holly and husband, Moumen, were the owners of Beau Soleil restaurant and are now caterers to the stars, including the "Lost" cast and crew.)

Comment

Let me know when Hawai'i has as good a burger as In-N-Outs $1.60 burger!

Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently
                        For the record, carne asada is not arrechera (skirt steak), at least not in Mexico. TuTu, visit me and we can have some real tacos de arrechera or tortas de arrechera. Tortas are mexican sandwiches served on something like oversized, bakery made hamburger buns.

Hamburgers in Mexico are grilled ground round with a thin slice of grilled HAM on top with bakery fresh torta buns. We make them in our hale that way.

Mexican hotdogs are grilled with wrapped bacon. Diced tomatos, chilis, and onion in a mayonaise salsa is heaped on top. All this is served in fresh bakery hot dog buns. Best hotdogs in the world!

Those items are local grindz, Mexican style. I'm happy supper is in an hour!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Actually, I got the carne asada burger, not because of 'carne asada' but, rather, because of the skirt steak! I woulda bought that 'burger' no matter what country was implied! It'd been decades since I had skirt steak which made the burger (almost) worth the $14. price tag!

Comment

Size is relative! I couldn't finish my burger in one sitting!
                            Yes, you are correct. size is relative. I should clarify I was talking about the patty size, and not the whole presentation should anyone wonder.. It was a good burger.
                            Last edited by helen; May 13, 2009, 01:12 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag
                            n'importe

Comment

Size is relative!
                              Tutu gonna get some whack whacks!
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                Mexican hotdogs are grilled with wrapped bacon. Diced tomatos, chilis, and onion in a mayonaise salsa is heaped on top. All this is served in fresh bakery hot dog buns. Best hotdogs in the world!
                                The Swap-Meet places in Phoenix sells those style of hotdogs as well....delicious!

Comment

Working...
                                X