Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

still get dinners in Hawaii Kai?? good burgers there.....
    95 4 banger - 04 Rubi

I tried the Classic Burger with cheese at Big City Diner in the Ward Theater complex. It was around $8 with fries. Kind of big burger but not messy to eat.

Helen reported:

"It was around $8 with fries."

Yikes, think I'll stick with Jack-in-the-Box.

I would stick with Jack-in-the-Box too, but it was 11:30 pm, I just gotten out of watching Thunderbirds and I didn't have anything to eat since lunch time and Big City Diner was open to 1am on Friday nights and there was no line to get in.

I think the next time I go there I might try something else but I know the burger is okay.

Well, that's the price of a "gourmet" burger. Heck, the very best burgers will easily put you above $10. I imagine to some folks, paying so much for what's essentially ground beef and bread is ridiculous, but when I'm reallyin the mood, a $8 Kua`aina burger combo is just too tastly to resist.

I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.

Itsu's Fishing Supply is known for its shave ice, and for its kim chee burgers.

Default Aloha from Blue Ridge Telecom

Hmmmm...burgers in Hawaii? Kua'Aina and Shiro's. In Vegas...Inn & Out
    Leila
    Blue Ridge Telecom
    Blueridge Telecom

Well, now we have a "Cheeseburger Factory" at UH-Manoa. I haven't tried it yet, still baffled about whether to try it or:

Yummy Korean B-B-Q
    Lahaina Chicken Company
    Mama's Spaghetti House
    Bear's Drive-Inn

All of which, along with Papa John's pizza, have opened recently at UHM.

So where on UH are these new places?

Helen asked:

"So where on UH are these new places?"

In the "Yummy Food Court" at Campus Center. (I had no idea Yummy Korean B-B-Q owned all those franchises, hardly would associate Korean B-B-Q with Mama's Spaghetti).

As for the burger from their Cheeseburger Factory, I'd say on a par with a Jumbo Jack, but more than twice as expensive.

Question Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Speaking of burgers.....

I remember that there was once a place
    that makes really cool burgers...
    but they are vegy burgers with the works...
    you couldn't even tell. They tasted like real burgers.
    They use to be in the Aloha Tower at the food court,
    long time ago. Does any one remember that place?
    (I forgot the name of the place.)
    What happened to them?
    Did they close their business altogether or
    did they actually move?
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.
    I think the Kobe burger which is available on the mainland runs for about $50.

Kobe beef itself is expensive! I once saw Kobe beef in Japan...ridiculous prices!
    Meat in Japan is very marbled...guess the Japanese enjoy their meat with fat!
    Retired Senior Member

MO'S Burger is still around in Waikiki, however the Burger King that used to be near it closed down. Alot of BK's have closed down in recent years.

Makiki Boy

Had a couple of cheeseburgers from L&L Drive In today. $5 for the burgers and a small cup of soda.

Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.

Where abouts is Nico's?

The cheesburger at the Pineapple Room aka Alan Wongs at Ala Moana is expensive but tastes pretty good.

Wish we had a Fuddruckers here. I understand a Cheesburger Factory opened up at Ala Moana recently.

KalihiBoy

Nico's is at Pier 38. From Nimitz turn makai at the New Eagle Cafe/old Xerox building intersection. It's in the Pacific Ocean warehouse just before the fish auction house.

edited to add: You're right about the Cheeseburger Factory at Ala Moana, it's in the food court. Has anyone tried it yet?
    Last edited by glossyp; July 10th, 2005 at 07:08 AM.

I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

wasn't what bad?
    compared to what, again?

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
    Unfortunately , I have to revise this opinion. After several times ordering the burger there, we went yesterday and they are now using pre-formed, commercial patties instead of the hand made ones. Makes the burgers flat and dry. This really bums me out.

Hmmmm. I thought I answered to this thread but after checking, I didn't. So, here's my 2cents of where the best cheeseburgers are at!

Uptown Cafe on School Street

Janes Fountain on Liliha Steet

and I also enjoy the Cheeseburgers at Byrons Drive Inn.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Talking Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.
    jumbo jack
    ultimate cheeseburger
    whopper

cheap eats!

didja kno dat at Jack's u can ask the order taker thru da drivethru for condiments like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and mayo for FREE??

I order my ultimate cheeseburger and add the lettuce, onions, tomatoes and more mayo everytime!! dang messy but good eh??!!

I personally like Like Like Drive Inn's Burgers. I loved the type of patty that they make.
    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Crap, I love to eat homemade style burgers, but I don't eat them if they have little onions mixed in with the meat. I just can't do it...but that's usually how most burgers are with the exception of national chains. I need to find a place that serves good burgers with no onions in 'em.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast