Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

this morning when i dropped by k.g. i felt like slapping my forehead cuz carol mentioned that morales would be there doing the show. sorry; forgot to post that info last night
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui

Comment

Originally posted by kevin_jay
        I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui
        DIG DEEP in your wallet if you plan on visiting Cheeseburger in Paradise Waikiki (the one across the beach, near Pacific Beach Hotel).

Everything is served ALA CARTE: Hamburgers start about $9.00 (each). Add fries - $3.50, plus Drink - $2.50.

You're talkin' avg. $15.00 (plus tip) per person for BURGERS & FRIES.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I finally made it over to Kulia Grill at JABSOM the other day, and it was worth the trip. The cheeseburger was tender and juicy and really great. And the chips. I wish they'd make up extra bags of those chips for takeout orders. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

Comment

glenn, i totally agree with you about the chips being very good but i don't understand the thing about taking it out cuz you can buy as many as you want and take it home with you. i often do that cuz my wife loves it, too. maybe you mean they run out of 'em too quickly?
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Well, it's kinda nitpicky but the chips are served in those little trays, which aren't great for transporting. If they also had 'em for sale in paper bags, maybe, that would be good. Or maybe I should just bring my own bags and dump 'em in.

Comment

oh, i see what you mean. it's not quite the same (or as good) as a paper bag but they'll give you a plastic bag if you ask for em. carol, the manager, told me to leave the plastic bag open so that the chips won't get soggy.

btw, their menu has expanded within the past two weeks or so. they're serving some good stuff in addition to their burgers ;-P

Comment

My wife and I had lunch at Kulia Grill yesterday to try the cheeseburgers. Teddy's is good but Kulia's tops it in our opinion. Now if there was a good combo it would be Kulia's burger and Teddy's fries or onion rings.

OT: re the taro lo'i sculpture outside. My wife thinks its unfinished (still gotta put the leafs(leaves?) on top of the stems), I think its finished (that the stems represent new plantings)... what yall think? Maybe the state couldn't afford to put leaves?

Comment

Special Sauce.. Local Style

In the D section of today's Star Bulletin, there's an article about the late Andy's Drive-Inn in Kailua. Primarily how they were famous for their RED and YELLOW SAUCES found today at the current Byron's Drive-Inn

It's pretty easy to figure out the basic recipe is Mayo and Mustard for the yellow sauce.

For the red sauce, they suggest using Ketchup and Relish. But we beg to differ. We've found a tastier option to Ketchup is TOMATO PASTE and relish. Try it and you'll agree!

We think Zippy's uses off-the-shelf Thousand Islands Dressing on their burgers.

I remember the late Kenny's Burgerhouse used a similar sauce to Andy's.

This past weekend I tried a Teddy's Burger with Sauteed Mushrooms on it (a first for me.. adding mushrooms that is). Gotta say, it was an exceptional Mushroom Burger, except next time I would have them omit their sauce. It really took away from the otherwise fantastic and plentiful Mushroom toppings. Next time I would request plain Mayo' instead. Teddy's sauce taste like a combination of mayo', mustard and ketchup mixed together. Good on their plain burgers, but not with the mushrooms.
                    Last edited by Pomai; November 9, 2005, 08:51 AM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.
                      Last edited by Moto; November 9, 2005, 12:07 PM.
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Tonight KITV did a very entertaining piece on Jorge Garcia from "Lost" at HIS favorite burger place....W&M. Apparently Hurley also enjoys Fried Poke and is trying to make sure he finds the right place to Sample a Loco Moco.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
                          Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.
                          And closed Tuesdays. (That's the road I use to get to H-1, rather than Kamehameha Highway.)
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.
                              Gee, Glen, it's got easily five parking spaces!

I dunno. I expect you could park on the street or maybe across the way (as long as there's no sticker price on your car, or the tenant might try to sell it.)
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

KUA AINA burgers in Haleiwa rocks!!!! This is definitely (IMHO) *THE* best burger on Oahu!! No ka oi! Best of da bestest! Must try the Mahi Mahi burger w/ ortega...broke da mout!

Comment

Working...
                                X