Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

No one's mentioned Liliha Bakery. Their burger is excellent. Hand formed. Put into their own buns. Tarter sauce. It's only a couple bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
      Hand formed.
      ugh.
      hand formed.
      avian flu,
      necrobacilliss bacteria,
      here we come.

Comment

Jack in the box makes some good burgers for fast food, Teddys are nice and meaty, but Burger in paradise takes the cake for nicest ambiance I mean you can't beat it being right on the beach!
        Orchid Forum

Summer Gardening

Hawaii really is Paradise!!

Benefits of Wheatgass

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          ugh.
          hand formed.
          avian flu,
          necrobacilliss bacteria,
          here we come.
          How else are they supposed make hamburger patties? With their feet?

Comment

Used to be this place, called 'Ferdinand's'...only burgers. Had one big Toro, sitting under a cork tree, too.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

FYI..

Teddy's now serves an 18 OUNCE MONSTER BURGER!

You can't see it in that photo, but there are THREE patties stacked up inside that monster!
              I wanted to cut it in half to show the inside, but my nephew was in too much of a hurry to eat it.

I took my nephew visiting from the mainland to Teddy's in Waikiki this past week when he brought upon this interesting revelation to me. When I asked him what he ordered he told me the EIGHTEEN OUNCE MONSTER DOUBLE COMBO. I first doubted him when he told me that and then was shocked to learn IT'S TRUE. There it was staring at me on the menu! Since when did Teddy's offer this heavyweight? Last I remembered, the largest they had was a 9 ouncer.

The MONSTER DOUBLE COMBO is made up of THREE 6 oz. patties stacked on each other, served with the standard Super Sauce, fresh Lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion, fries and drink. For $10.85 it really actually is a pretty good deal in comparison to other "gourmet" burger joints.

Amazingly my (still growing) teenage nephew wolfed down the entire sandwich, PLUS the heap of fries it came with.

I must say, Teddy's consistently excellent flame-grilled burgers plus great fries, friendly service and reasonable prices keeps them at the top of my list.

http://teddysbiggerburgers.com
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                Gordon Biersch, for the burger with bits of bleu cheese in it.
                I just ate this burger and you were absolutely right on! Really great burger and those garlic fries - Yummmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Well, that's the price of a "gourmet" burger. Heck, the very best burgers will easily put you above $10. I imagine to some folks, paying so much for what's essentially ground beef and bread is ridiculous, but when I'm reallyin the mood, a $8 Kua`aina burger combo is just too tastly to resist.

I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.
                  As far as the beef variety goes, I have to vote with Kua 'Aina. Really annoying that they almost never have avocado, though. What really pissed me off was when they would claim that at the old North Shore location when there was a loaded avocado tree right outside the place.

If you want to go veggie, try the portobello burger at Big City Diner.

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai123
                    I just ate this burger and you were absolutely right on! Really great burger and those garlic fries - Yummmmm!
                    You're welcome. And thanks for reminding me -- I haven't been there for a while and had sort of forgotten about it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                      As far as the beef variety goes, I have to vote with Kua 'Aina. Really annoying that they almost never have avocado, though. What really pissed me off was when they would claim that at the old North Shore location when there was a loaded avocado tree right outside the place.
                      Surprisingly, I actually did find an avocado on that little tree not once, but twice. Every other time... empty tree.
                      Still a darned good burger, just better with avocado.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I had the burger at Town (in Kaimuki) this week and it was soooooo ono!

The showstring fries are good too.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser published a story today about Honolulu's 2006 Burger Kings. It includes a poll of this year's top contenders which are:
                          • Bob's Bar-B-Que
                          • Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
                          • Islands Restaurant
                          • Kua 'Aina
                          • Nico's
                          • The Pineapple Room
                          • Town
                          • W&M

They purposely left out last year's Ilima Award winner, Teddy's.

There was also a report recently of a Florida restaurant serving up a $100 20 oz. gourmet burger deemed the "beluga caviar of sandwiches".

I still vote Duke's Waikiki's flame-grilled Beachside Burger ($7.50) and spicy, waffle-cut Beach fries ($2.95) as one of the best in town.

Does anyone know of a burger joint in Hawaii that serves a burger heavier than Teddy's 18 ouncer? Just curious.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            The Honolulu Advertiser published a story today about Honolulu's 2006 Burger Kings. It includes a poll of this year's top contenders which are:
                            • Bob's Bar-B-Que
                            • Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
                            • Islands Restaurant
                            • Kua 'Aina
                            • Nico's
                            • The Pineapple Room
                            • Town
                            • W&M

They purposely left out last year's Ilima Award winner, Teddy's.
                            IMO, leaving out Teddy's makes the vote irrelevant - just because they won the Ilima award doesn't negate the importance of Teddy's in the burger world - it just makes the poll seem contrived.

Foodie friends who were here recently tried burgers at Teddy's, Pineapple Room, Nico's and town - Teddy's came out way on top with town and Pineapple Room in a tie.

Comment

i found teddy's burfer to be bland, overpriced.
                              the fake 50's decor was too topheavy. and for a place that tries to convey a 50's feel it is strange they use a contrived overused 90's phrase in their tagline.

"reinventing the burger joint"

so when will they be done with this "reinventing" process?
                              should we wait until they finish reinventing it? is that why it was so bland last time we went?

Comment

To me, heaven is a RAINBOW ROYAL from Rainbow Drive-Inn on Kapahulu. I'm actually quite pleased this made-to-order double cheeseburger with manoa lettuce, crispy fresh slice of onion, tomato slices and "special sauce" DIDN'T make the list.

The thing I never liked about Kua Aina burgers is the huge heaping of bad attitude one gets on the side. I always say if you can't smile when you're dealing with the public as part of your career, then find another job. No one should get paid to crap on customers.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X