Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

I think they missed a good bet by not including The Shack.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      I think they missed a good bet by not including The Shack.
      Whoo ha! You know 'dat! I swear their Swiss' N' Shroom Burger is the best! I didn't care for their famous "Shack Cheeseburger " though. The portuguese sausage on it just kills the flavor of the burger, which is what I want to taste.

As for Teddy's being bland, I must admit on several orders I've made at the Waikiki location my patty suffered the same. Especially noticeable when you consider how THICK the patties are. It probably has more to with the cook on duty at the time not putting enough salt on the patty when it's on the grill. The Hawaii Kai location (Koko Marina) consistently pumped out tasty burgers on my orders. I don't like their sauce so I opt for plain mayo'. Decor-wise, the Waikiki location is a bit tacky, but the whimsical map mural of Waikiki is kinda' fun.

Another GREAT (mentoned before I think) is the signature Jameson's Burger out in Haliewa, just past the beach park. Awesome.

I'm taking Creative-1's advice and heading out to Town (no pun intended) on my next burger quest.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Big City Diner!!

I love the mushroom burgers... fresh mushrooms & garlic.. yum... They are the BEST! we once sat on a table & all the girls ordered like 5 mushroom burgers & 1 portabello mushroom burger.... & if I'm going to pay 8$ for my burger... I'd much rather sit in a nice air conditioned restaurant then outside sitting next to cars on a hot summer day ... (if I had to pick kua aina ward or big city diner ward.... ) ...besides I love their bubbies ice cream & brownie pie.. yum!

Comment

Hamburgers from Sueoka Store's snack shop in Koloa, Kauai. Haven't had anything in the world that tops it yet.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

This may earn me fluffy-tourist points, but I just don't care. There was a place in the Waikiki World Market called Joe's that serves a mean pineapple teriyaki burger. Avocado burgers too, though IMO they were not as good as the PT. Yumm. $6 each, not including the fries, but whatevah

I'm so sad that we were in Hale'iwa twice and didn't see/stop at Kua Aina. :\ Sounds like the winner from raw numbers of votes on this thread!

Comment

There is another location of Kua Aina at Ward Center, a few miles from Waikiki. Don't have to drive to other side of the island to get their stuff.

Comment

I must ditto W&M. I don't care if I have to park blocks away.

However, the best burgers I've had IN MY LIFE were on Kauai. Duane's Ono Char. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

My choice for burgers, in alphabetical order:

Bob's Bar-B-Q - Giant Burger ..... w/Giant Fries;
                  Kiawe Grill - Kobe Burger is now 10 oz., regular is 6 oz.; hold the mustard (that belongs on hot dogs); the thick steak-cut fries are very good; I go to the one across "Old Stadium Park" in Moiliili;
                  Rainbow Drive-Inn - Rainbow Royale (w/cheese); Rainbow Special (no cheese); the twin patties may be flat, but so tasty; strawberry slush for a drink.

Richie's on No. King St. is run by a former cook from Rainbow's and has a similar menu. Their version of the Rainbow Special is only $1.92 and is close in taste; one thing Richie's serves that Rainbow's doesn't is a BBQ Pork plate (Rainbow's has a BBQ Pork sandwich, why no plate?). Their slush machine isn't always ready, though.

I went to Teddy's a couple of times. Tasty, but messy.

Comment

Originally posted by I<3mydoggies
                    Yum, a thread after my own heart. I'd have to suggest you guys try Kiawe Grill. They are located on the side of Diners - Kalihi. They grill your burger with Kiawe wood anyway you like it! Homemade and thick! If you are in for adventure you could even try their buffalo or ostrich burger.
                    wow, ive been wanting to try ostrich meat since i heard about it. its the only red poultry meat.

how come no one has mentioned the burgers at magoo's (or the subs)?
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Teddy's on O'ahu. Haven't been there since 2003, but their burgers were awsome.

Ono Char Burger on Kaua'i. Mmmmm... ono char burger.... **drools**

Comment

Here's my nomination for Hawaii's Best Hamburger...

Duke's Waikiki Beachside Burger - $7.49 (shown with Beach Fries, which is actually a side dish). Our waitress asked the cook cut it in half and present the plate for photo ops.

This jewel is succulent and juicy, FLAME-GRILLED to medium-well perfection. It comes with super-fresh Manoa Lettuce and bun has a slightly buttery, toasted appeal. A masterpiece. You can also order it with Pepperjack Cheese. I'll get that one next time.

What else makes this Hawaii's Best Hamburger?

Well, along with the burger, they EXCELLENT "BEACH" FRIES!...

Duke's Beach Fries - $2.95... and believe me, this is a meal in itself!

These waffle-cut gems have a little spice on them, sort of like those "box" guy's seasoned curly fries.

They also have a million-dollar Waikiki beachfront view to go with it (not the tourists, the view)...

Continued next post...
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Part 2 of 2.

How can a great burger (or life in general) be any better than when you have da' aunties playing Kanikapila-style Hawaiian music for you!...

On top, of that, friendly, courteous staff!..

Our friend (and longtime Duke's bartender), Christine

Not only is there da' Aunties playing tables every night, you also get to enjoy Kapena (no extra charge) on Saturdays, as we did yesterday afternoon...

Kapena plays at Duke's Waikiki every Saturday from 4-6pm. Henry Kapono plays every Sunday from 4-6pm.

Gotta' love Duke's Beachside Burger for all of the above!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ok...I nominate Duke's to be the location of the next HT get together on a Saturday or Sunday 4-6p!

One of my most memorable Christmas Eves was spent with good friends at Dukes. We sat outside, had a wonderful dinner, the weather was perfect, the view was to die for, the music (I think it was Uncle Moe, but I'm not sure...ol' fut memory!) just didn't get any better. I didn't want to leave the restaurant! Great evening.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              Ok...I nominate Duke's to be the location of the next HT get together on a Saturday or Sunday 4-6p!
                              Great idea, Tutu. Only problem, especially on Sunday when Henry plays, it's SO crowded, it might be hard to get enough seating for all the HT'rs. They don't do reservations either. It's first come, first serve, so someone would have to go really early and hold a few tables.

If this place ever closes (highly unlikely), I get first dibs on this neon sign! (wishful thinking)...

Duke's is located on the ground floor of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, between the Moana Surfrider and Royal Hawaiian Hotel (da pink one). They're operated by TS Restaurants, who also own the new Hula Grill, upstairs next to Chuck's.

Hang that in the living room and play Kapena and Henry Kapono CDs while sipping on a Lavaflow or Tropical Itch. lol

Bump back da' burger photo to stay OT..
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                                Great idea, Tutu. Only problem, especially on Sunday when Henry plays, it's SO crowded, it might be hard to get enough seating for all the HT'rs. They don't do reservations either. It's first come, first serve, so someone would have to go really early and hold a few tables.
                                Let's all get there at 2:00 and start drinking!
                                Originally posted by Pomai
                                If this place ever closes (highly unlikely), I get first dibs on this neon sign! (wishful thinking)...[...]Hang that in the living room and play Kapena and Henry Kapono CDs while sipping on a Lavaflow or Tropical Itch. lol
                                [...]
                                oh...Oh...OH...that sign is soooo perfect for my little grass shack in Makaha. By the time Duke's is ready to close my LGS might be completed! You can have visitation rights, Pomai!

Comment

Working...
                                X