Walgreens in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

I see them by the Keeaumoku Walgreens a lot. Within the last month, but I know I've seen them several months earlier as well.

In any case, Walgreens has my favorite pharmacy. I go there so much they actually know my name. Maybe that's a bad thing..
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

hi,i remember i posted on the # 60 tri color ink that you could purchase at the competition only i did purchase my #60 black ink for my hp printer at another local competitor and it only costed me $13.00 plus tax so i have both # 60's black and tri color ink and it was worth it and im happy that my meter show's both ink's are shown filled.

at walgreen's if you may wish to purchase #60 black ink,it'll cost you $18.00 plus tax so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
        I see them by the Keeaumoku Walgreens a lot. Within the last month, but I know I've seen them several months earlier as well.
        This has been a burning question in my mind, so someone please find out what it is these guys are protesting. BEFORE sansei shuts down this thread like the way he did the Longs/CVS one. News media, anyone? Thanks for your time.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          This has been a burning question in my mind, so someone please find out what it is these guys are protesting. BEFORE sansei shuts down this thread like the way he did the Longs/CVS one. News media, anyone? Thanks for your time.

The next time I'm at the Keeaumoku store and picketers are there I'll check their signs. If this thread is closed, which it probably will be, I'll start a new one!

Comment

As someone posted previously, the protest has to do with Walgreens using non-union construction workers and paying sub-par wages for their various locations - esp their startup new locations. I tried to search achives in ThePaper to add a link to news stories, but as others have indicated, the archive search sucks since the buy-out. The informational pickets are staffed by the Hawaii Carpenters Union.

Comment

Google "pickets at Walgreens" and you will find it's nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                Google "pickets at Walgreens" and you will find it's nationwide.
                Thanks D'Alani! The links show the issues are lot more complicated then the potentially outdated info Kimo is referring to. I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks D'Alani! The links show the issues are lot more complicated then the potentially outdated info Kimo is referring to. I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.
                  Well, eight months later, and still no update from Tutu. Be that as it may, there are more pressing matters at hand regarding Walgreens. Apparently, they were able to secure a lease in a prime Hawai‘i Kai location — Koko Marina Shopping Center. But the news is, at best, bittersweet, as the move means Foodland — Hawai‘i’s last and only local grocery chain — is getting kicked out after nearly 48 years.

Foodland gives way to new drugstore
                  Walgreens will move into the Hawaii Kai space the food store has held since 1963

By Kristen Consillio
                  POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jun 14, 2011
                  After nearly five decades at Koko Marina Shopping Center, Foodland Super Market Ltd. will close its store there July 10 to make way for a Walgreens.

The state’s largest grocery retailer with 32 stores said it had worked diligently to renegotiate its lease during the last several years but failed.

“Unfortunately, our landlord has made the decision to lease our space to another retailer,” Foodland said in a statement Monday ...

“The closing of a store that has operated for nearly half a century is very difficult for us,” said Jenai Wall, Foodland chairman and chief executive officer, in a statement. “As a local company that truly cares about the communities it serves, we are devastated to have to leave this community after 47 years. Our customers are like family to us, and we will truly miss serving them at this store. We want to thank them for their patronage and support throughout all these years.”

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

[...]I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.
                    Well, eight months later, and still no update from Tutu. [...]
                    I haven't been to Walgreens or near enough to read the signs in the last 8 months AND, more to the point...I'd forgotten about this thread. Out of sight, out of mind! ;^]

Anyway, I did go to Walgreen's about 10 days ago (but not via Keeaumoku) and the picketers and signs were there. I have no idea why the union is picketing now. Maybe they had advance notice of the Koko Marina site and are already pre-protesting cheap labor, mainland labor, whatever.

Comment

Three or four picketers still show up at Walgreen's in Kaneohe at least three days a week, and they still have the same signs and banners protesting that Walgreen's didn't use union carpenters to help build the store(s). I've seen them in Kailua too.
                      The Kaneohe store has been open, what, two years now? And the union is still paying those picketers to stand around all day at various stores?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's just one hour since my post above. I just ran out on an errand and the picketers are there in front of Kaneohe Walgreen's right now.
                        Again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Paid Picketers - Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Three or four picketers still show up at Walgreen's in Kaneohe at least three days a week, and they still have the same signs and banners protesting that Walgreen's didn't use union carpenters to help build the store(s). I've seen them in Kailua too.
                          The Kaneohe store has been open, what, two years now? And the union is still paying those picketers to stand around all day at various stores?
                          Gee, I wonder if they are paid Union Scale for 'standing around?' Are they hiring? I'm good at standing around.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The pickets show up in Kailua now and then . . .
                            Also, by the way, the Koko Marina folks are disputing Foodland's declaration that 'the landlord picked another tenant . . .'
                            KITV did a follow-up on the initial news reports.

Comment

Ke Kalahea did a story about the Carpenters & Walgreens back in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                                The pickets show up in Kailua now and then . . .
                                Also, by the way, the Koko Marina folks are disputing Foodland's declaration that 'the landlord picked another tenant . . .'
                                KITV did a follow-up on the initial news reports.
                                And Foodland followed up with a response to that, saying:

"We are truly disappointed that rather than respond to the community they serve and take ownership for their decision, the Koko Marina Shopping Center management has decided to publicly misrepresent Foodland and its intentions. Foodland never accused the Koko Marina Shopping Center of being unwilling to negotiate a new lease with us. We simply stated the truth: 'over the last several years we have been working diligently to renegotiate our lease for our Hawaii Kai location' and 'unfortunately our landlord has made the decision to lease our space to another retailer.' Ultimately, the landlord makes the final decision of whom they will lease property to. We never 'walked away from the table' as Koko Marina claims, and it continues to be our strong desire to remain in Hawaii Kai," Foodland said in a statement.
                                It's not hard to figure out what is happening here. Walgreen's made an offer on Foodland's space in Hawaii Kai, and Foodland decided not to match it. So the shopping center decided not to extend Foodland's lease. That's the gist of it.

There's really no good guy and bad guy in this scenario. It's just business. When it comes to real estate in the retail sector, the landlord has every right to seek out the "highest and best use" of their commodity.

Shoppers in Hawaii Kai can grumble and say whatever they want about boycotting Walgreen's and Koko Marina shopping center. They can wax nostalgic about having a kama'aina tenant being replaced by some outside, mainland predator. But here's the ugly truth they don't want to face. Ever since Costco set up shop about a mile away, the volume of Foodland's business has been stagnant, at best. Young and growing families now do the bulk of their grocery shopping at those discount-membership stores. The only time they'll ever visit a supermarket is when they forgot to buy something at Costco. Foodland, Times, and Safeway are becoming increasingly reliant on older clientele who no longer have any young children to go shopping for.

The bottom line? Rather than the point of finger of blame at Walgreen's or Koko Marina shopping center for Foodland's departure, disgruntled Hawaii Kai shoppers with a Costco membership should take a good, hard look at themselves in the mirror.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X