Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    At least we live in a free country where we can have situations to discuss and the ability to discuss them.
    I don't know. I'm leaning toward an independent Hawaiian Sovereign Republic. Like the Philippines, you don't have to be a member-state of the USA to practice democracy.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Well I guess the idea I had that Walgreens would open a "few" stores to test market Hawaii is dead wrong. Seems they now want to take over and become the new drug store monopoly on the islands:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/706220379

Also with the lack of parking space at the former Tower Records location, NOT making that store a drive-thru in my opinion is a major mistake on their part.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        Well I guess the idea I had that Walgreens would open a "few" stores to test market Hawaii is dead wrong. Seems they now want to take over and become the new drug store monopoly on the islands:
        That's not what the article says. It says that wherever there's a Longs, Walgreens wants to put up a store. Not to become a monopoly, but to wrest some of the Longs market share from the venerable institution. I love Longs (don't get me started again about the green smocks), but no way does it deserve 73% of the market share. Walgreens just wants to take some of it away. This is probably going to be good for shoppers in general, 'though I can certainly think of a few drawbacks.
        Also with the lack of parking space at the former Tower Records location, NOT making that store a drive-thru in my opinion is a major mistake on their part.
        I disagree. The KFC on that corner is always full of people; yet, the parking lot is seldom half-full. It's all walk-up traffic, and I think Walgreens will get a ton. Tower had the worst parking in the world for the longest time (four parking spaces before they opened Tower Video!) and it did great business.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Since I live close by in the area of the former Tower Records and soon to be Walgreens', I have to agree with the assessment that they will get a lot of walk-in traffic. Ala Moana Center is across the street at Kapiolani, the new Nordstroms is coming up, KFC is busy, WalMart and the shops outside are always busy and they get both walk-ins and drivers; plus all the little Korean restaurants and small businesses on the Diamond Head side of Keeaumoku seem to be busy.... walk-ins too.... plus Ross and LikeLike Drive-In... I think Walgreens got a winner of a location. That stretch from Rycroft St. to Ala Moana is quite a shopping destination today.

BTW, the Tower Records signage were recently removed from the building though you can still see the ghostly imprint of the former sign on the wall facing Keeaumoku St.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            BTW, the Tower Records signage were recently removed from the building though you can still see the ghostly imprint of the former sign on the wall facing Keeaumoku St.
            Like my fading memories of those youthful days (and dollars) spent in that wonderful store.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If Walgreens opens up the 40 stores it seeks, it will then have the largest number of drug stores in the state of Hawaii as Longs currently has 36 stores statewide. I am not against Walgreens at all, heck I grew up with Walgreens, I just think this aggressive approach is a bit too aggressive. Can you folks even forsee the land space involved in opening up these new stores? Many seem to complain about Walmart being aggressive and taking up so much land, but is there no fight towards Walgreens because we don't have one yet?

As for the Walgreens location at the former Tower Records, I never could find a parking space there, having a drive-thru would make it better, I mean wouldnt ito be nice to order your CD's and pick them up at the drive thru if you couldnt find a parking spot ever? As for the obvious potential walk-in traffic, that proves my point about the lack of parking space if your mostly relying on walk-in traffic.

Right now when you drive by the former Tower Records sight at night the only thing lit up is the KFC as all of the Nordstrom construction (an eyesore for the time being) makes part of that block have a deserted feel to it.

I do know in 6 months time or whatever it will look fantastic with Walgreens opening and the lights being put onto the buildings at Nordstrom.

Walgreens approach to building stores next to their competition is the same approach Home Depot and now in construction Lowes has taken in Iwilei towards City Mill.

Aj

Comment

Longs' is slowly expanding out with smaller neighborhood type of stores:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/21/business/engle.html

So far the Walgreens I know of are opening in places which were occupied by other businesses:

Honolulu - old Tower Records location
                Salt Lake - old Costco location
                Kaneohe - old Star Market location

There are a lot of condos in the Keeaumoku area and residents who live closeby often walk to the places near their dwellings. I walk all the time to the store formerly known as Daiei, walk sometimes to WalMart (if I just need to exercise and walk in a nice lighted place or am not buying too much stuff), Ala Moana Center.

I used to walk a lot to Tower Records to buy music... I must have spent about $20,000 there from all the CDs, LPs and 45s I own since the early 1980s to last year. I never lived nearby all those years. When I did not, and knew that parking was always an issue, you know what I did? Park at Ala Moana Shopping Center and walk over to Tower. I am sure a lot of people do that. Now you can also park at WalMart and do the same. Of course it is not ethical, but i think if you go into those place first and then go across the street and not stay for too long, nobody cares.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I thought TARGET is moving into the old Costco location unless you mean BOTH Walgreens and Target are coming into the area.

I used to live in your area Mel and enjoyed being able to walk conveniently to many of those locations.

That is a good idea about parking in one place and shopping in another. I don't think anybody really notices that unless it's at a place where they might have time limits on parking at restaurants and such.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    I thought TARGET is moving into the old Costco location unless you mean BOTH Walgreens and Target are coming into the area.

I used to live in your area Mel and enjoyed being able to walk conveniently to many of those locations.

That is a good idea about parking in one place and shopping in another. I don't think anybody really notices that unless it's at a place where they might have time limits on parking at restaurants and such.

Aj
                    Don't forget, Nordstrom should add a few more parking spaces right across the street. And then, if the rail ever gets built, there will be a station on Kona St too. So that location is actually pretty happening even if hampered by lack of parking space.

Comment

Competition is good, and if Walgreens has exactly what I need at a lower price, then I'll be doing business with Walgreens. I am to be a good steward with my hard-earned money and I will continue to be, with whatever is offered me.

I remember running into folks here that lamented Walmart first coming. It hasn't ruined lives and has proliferated and the parking lots prove that most people luv it, cuz we are forced to stretch every dollar here, as much as possible, while we are forced to pay more and more just to live here.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

OK.. yes, I think Target is moving into the old Costco. Getting my stores mixed up. Sorry.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          I love Longs (don't get me started again about the green smocks), but no way does it deserve 73% of the market share. Walgreens just wants to take some of it away.
                          Couldn't we say the same about go! airlines? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for competition, but the way they say they'll co-locate with Longs every place they can just seems so mainland business ethics (hostile).

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            Couldn't we say the same about go! airlines? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for competition, but the way they say they'll co-locate with Longs every place they can just seems so mainland business ethics (hostile).
                            We could. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Longs has had control for just too long. When I was growing up, there was a Pay 'N Save or a Payless in just about every neighborhood, too, and they were pretty good. I grew up in Waipahu, which didn't get its first Longs store until I was already in college. Then, when I was in college (it was an eight-year run; a lot happened when I was in college), the national Payless chain moved in and gave it a fair go. It lasted not very long, and Longs took over a bunch of the operating Payless stores and shut the rest down.

Burger King used to (and possibly still does) try to make sure it had a restaurant whevere McDonald's had one; that's still true on Beretania, in Waipahu, and in a few other places. That's competition, not hostility. And that's good for the consumer, in a way.

When Aloha and Hawaiian decided they were going to sync their flight schedules so that they wouldn't be competing directly against one another for passengers at the same times, THEY were the ones being hostile -- to us!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              ...so mainland business ethics (hostile).
                              Love the assumption that hostile business ethics is exclusive to Mainland companies, and is totally foreign to Island businesses...
                              Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              When Aloha and Hawaiian decided they were going to sync their flight schedules so that they wouldn't be competing directly against one another for passengers at the same times, THEY were the ones being hostile -- to us!
                              ...and perhaps this shows that the afore-mentioned assumption is a wee bit inaccurate?

Comment

Does anyone have any insight to the pay scale and benefits at Walgreens compared to Longs? If they are on par with one another, does it really matter if Longs loses a few stores or even fold? Walgreens entry will require hiring of people so that's providing jobs, is that not good? I haven't heard anything about Walgreens being a bad employer. The only thing Walgreens shares with Walmart is just the first three letters. So what's the hoopla about?

Comment

Working...
                                X