X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Boatbuilders?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Very cool, MM!
    1)Did he cut a hole in the hull to change engines? Looked like it in one photo on his blog. Yikes!
    2)The run down to Mexico would be good for you and Don to see if Jesse can handle being at sea. If he can't, easy to tuck back in somewhere and drop him off, as opposed to heading straight for here and suffering a couple of weeks of misery.
    3)On the other hand, it looks like there's an awful lot of work to do if he wants to leave end of the year. You know how schedules end up. Especially with sea trials to work out the bugs.
    4)How about planning for a July '09 departure from Los Angeles, and leave a week or 10 days before the TransPac start? That would give you lots of help mid-ocean if you needed it.
    5)Hope it all works out for ya!
    1) HaHa! That was a 27' Oday sailboat that the marine shop he works for picked up as salvage for $500 bucks.
    And he got the diesel engine.

2) Latest news is that the boat will be trucked to San Diego for our jump off spot. And heading south for a bit is a good idea too!

3) Yeah, he's got alot to do. I've seen him complete miracles previously when he sets his mind to something. We'll see. Three of the bulkheads are installed already and much of the interior is ready or at least laid up now. All brand new standing and running rigging on site. He runs a marine repair shop there so has access to all he needs. His boss Gary is a Great guy too! I met him when I was up there last year.

4) That may be what happens?

5) Thanks Buddy!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      If Jesse backs out, Can I apply?
      Hiya salmoned!
      Only the Captain can choose the crew, but I've been aboard an inter-island sail with you as Captain and had a great time.
      I still have fond memories of that day buddy!

Comment

Check the "progress" update!
        http://alberg30.blogspot.com/

Even has a countdown timer added.

Comment

Jesse sounds like a good guy and has the possibiolity of being good crew.
          Love the countdown timer too. Maybe he ought to start a pool.
          Or, he could buy this sailboat, with its own website at this link, already completed, tested, and ready to go again for a bargain-basement price of just...

$180 million.
          Attached Files

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Don't think this really counts as "Boat Building" but,
            These guys built a raft outta 15,000 plastic bottles, some piping and a Cessna airplane fuselage. They're sailing from Long beach, CA to Hawaii and have launched the journey already?! I wish them luck. Here's a link...
            http://junkraft.blogspot.com/

Comment

My friend Denis owns/lives aboard a Columbia 28 in Keehi.
              His woodworking skills are incredible! A real perfectionist.
              The first shot of "Miha" is outdated. A lot of work has been done since then.
              The interior shots... EVERY piece of wood you see is new, along with the sink & stove. WOW!

Told you he was good. And a good friend too!

Comment

I ran the Pleasurecraft Division for a Southern California boat builder once upon a time. Company was a pioneer in fiberglass construction starting back in the late '50's. Built fiberglass sailboats and power boats from 30 ft to 120 ft. One of our 36 ft power boats was the first commercial powerboat to cross from California to Hawai'i. That was back in the early '70's. I know a couple of our powerboats are docked in Ala Wai right now.

BTW, I have spent some time in a Pelican. A fun family boat but not a racer. Sort of like an El Toro on steroids.

Ofa 'atu
                Mui Houma
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  My friend Don bought a Alberg 30 sailboat hull and cabin. Here's a link to a blog on his boat restoration. More has been completed since.

Here's an email I just received. 7/14/08
                  "This was a very good week-end on the boat!
                  I felt like I reached a mile-stone; Got the hull stiffeners finished! (YAY) Tyler mixed resin batches while I rolled it out on day one and Kim mixed on day two.
                  Got the last four bulkheads templated, cut out, fit, resin coated, and sanded! (YAY) now they are ready to be tabbed in place.
                  Got the hull ground to fresh glass and vacuumed and 100 % ready where the bulkheads go. (YAY)

Tonight I'm tabbing all four in place (two at the front of the cockpit and two at the back).
                  Tomorrow night they all get glassed in solid.

That just leaves the aft bilge to glass and the aft floor partitions which I'll get done this week also.

I had the twin to my little diesel come into the shop, we pulled it apart and its no good for the fellow.
                  After seeing how funky it was inside I decided to sell him mine as a direct replacement.
                  It can not be made fresh water cooled so in salt its days would be numbered anywayz.
                  Parts are no longer available and its good for him as he'd keep his old motor for parts.

I'm "noodlin' around alternatives,.....gotta plan "B",.....need to do more research to see if its feasible."

Pretty cool! He's charging ahead.

Comment

Charging ahead, indeed! Did he send photos?

Comment

No photos this time.
                      But he'll update the blog eventually.

Comment

UPDATE:
                        Don's moved the boat into the shop for winter and will go "Gung Ho!" now.

Possibly next summer casting off from the West Coast to Hawai'i!

Comment

It looks like he's doing an extremely thorough job, MM. But unless he can work on it full time, and has help too, it's hard to imagine it being ready for a bluewater passage by next summer since it's still basically a bare shell. But I'll sure keep my fingers crossed for him! (And you. If I recall correctly, you're planning on making the trip with him, yeah?)

Comment

Don, up in Idaho is doing well on his Alberg 30 sailboat...
                            Check links in previous posts if interested.

I went down to Denis' Columbia 28 sailboat, to check on it for him.
                            All is well and I tied a couple extra lines to the dock & piling, due to the wind coming.

His craftsmanship is incredible! Every piece of wood you see... he did.
                            The bulkheads(walls), custom table - even the edge molding hand made, compression post(vertical post, supporting the coach roof, between the deck-stepped mast and the keel.) is made of 4 sawn boards epoxied together, et al...

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              1)I ran the Pleasurecraft Division for a Southern California boat builder once upon a time.

2)BTW, I have spent some time in a Pelican. A fun family boat but not a racer. Sort of like an El Toro on steroids.

Ofa 'atu
                              Mui Houma
                              1) Really cool, matapule!

2) Many years ago (80-81), I lived aboard my first boat (27' cabin cruiser) in San Rafael California and a guy down the dock had a Pelican.
                              I borrowed it all the time! Great fun. Looks fairly easy to build?

Comment

Took this shot yesterday of Denis and "Miha".
                                Look back to a previous post to see the differences. There are many.
                                The mast has been discarded. Lots of problems. But everything will be brand new sometime. Already have all the new chainplate hardware. The portlights (windows) have been replaced in a very seaworthy manner. The old aluminum framing needed to go. Denis designed and built the dodger (framing and 'roof' on top). Also the forward opening hatch is newly installed. Just really great work.

Last edited by Menehune Man; February 9, 2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: Add hatch comment...

Comment

Working...
                                X