Little League World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ewa Beach takes LL World Series!

Congratulations Ewa Beach team! What an awesome and suspenseful game all the way thru the not-since-1971 extra innings game bottom of the 7th solo homer!
    Last edited by Royce; August 28, 2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Re: Ewa Beach takes LL World Series!

oh, hell yeah...the best HI news story of the year...
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Royce
        Congratulations Ewa Beach team! What an awesome and suspenseful game all the way thru the not-since-1971 extra innings game bottom of the 7th solo homer!
        It was great ! My ol' man is a sports fanatic and he was watching every second.

Turquoise Duck

Comment

Just what Hawaii and the good ole US of A needs. And those Curacao boys, defending champs, were a class act as they congratulated our boys. A fine positive development in this broken world of ours.

Safety to our friends in Hurricane Katrina's wake!

I guess those Curacao boys will be staying stateside for a little while, at least until the storm is through.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My Mom knew one of the Moms on TV there, one of them lives in my neighborhood, and my cousin is a classmate with one of the players, so we'll try and have a big party (probably the rest of Hawaii also).

CONGRATS!
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

WOW! What a wonderful and exciting news that is! Congratulations to the players, coaches, parents and everyone who were involved in making this dream come true! Chicken skin for all America!!!!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Little League World Series

Watched the game from the beginning and have to admit that there were times
                that I just couldn't watch! My men though stuck it out, I finally sat down at
                the bottom of the 6th and as the Ewa Beach team chipped away at the score
                I yelled louder than anyone!
                Congratulations to the coaches, the families that supported the team, and to the team itself. The boys did themselves proud, the first baseman Layson
                Aliviado is really a cutey!
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Was pretty cool when they won... all the houses in my neighborhood erupted in screams and cheers. Neat to see all those different people tuned in and cheering on the boys.

Comment

Congratulations to the Ewa Beach boys, their families, coaches, team assistants, and supporters (who are all of us)! Big Mahalo to the Mainland folks who put up the families during the Series. I heard they ate a lot of good food and taught some folks how to eat pork over there.

This is unimaginably huge for these families, the players and all of us.

I tuned in to some of the games, but not all. But I was glued to the screen watching those 67 mph pitches in the final. Jeez, those Ewa boys can play some ball! And those home runs! Holy cow.

I gotta think, when those players came back from being behind twice, and won, that's some major character building those boys got. They learned some huge, life-building lessons today.

But for now, it's gotta be food and good times for them, and well-deserved!

A-fricking-mazing, and one of the better baseball games I've seen, regardless of age or level of players.

Comment

Yeah Baby!!! Great Job!!!

Comment

Ewa Beach vs. Curacao, Little League World Series

It is interesting that the last 2005 Little League World Series playoff was earned by two teams from small islands in different oceans; one Pacific island (O'ahu 1+ million people) the product of United States' economic imperialism, one Atlantic island (Curacao 150,000 people) the product of Netherlands' economic imperialism.

From cia factbook:
                        Once the center of the Caribbean slave trade, the island of Curacao was hard hit by the abolition of slavery in 1863. Its prosperity (and that of neighboring Aruba) was restored in the early 20th century with the construction of oil refineries to service the newly discovered Venezuelan oil fields.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that final game! More fun and excitement than I've had over a sporting event in a long time. Way to go Ewa Beach Boys!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Way to go Ewa Beach..you rock...best games ever.....Champs of the world

Comment

not likely but does anyone know if the final game will be retelevised? (yup, i missed it )
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Well. Would you look at that consensus opinion about this thing. Everyone seems convinced it's the local feel-good story of the year.

I've been avoiding this thread because I know that what I've got to say about it is going to draw flames; however, since not a single person seems to have a little problem with this, I'm going to dive in and take the hit.

First, I gotta emphasize the fact that I love baseball. I love it more than just about anything else in this world. I almost always watch the Little League World Series when it's on television, and I watch a lot of games at the park near the school where I teach. It's a wonderful game full of valuable lessons to teach its participants.

However, I've totally avoided all discussion about this year's team and have refused to watch the games.

Doesn't anyone else have mixed feelings about this father who quit his job so he could watch his son play baseball? I mean, on the one hand, it's supposed to make you feel good all over that he walked away from 60K a year to support his child, and I suppose the message, taken the best way possible, that this boy receives is "Hey. I'm there for you no matter what."

On the other hand, I confess to feeling very uncomfortable with this message. Sure, I understand that family is much more important than work, but not seeing your boy play a ballgame so that you can continue to meet your obligations is NOT telling your kid that work is more important than family; it's telling your kid that work is more important than play.

I know that a lot of you had parents like mine, who worked very, very hard and who sometimes had to miss significant events in our lives while we were growing up so that they could continue to provide for the very lifestyles that permitted such significant events. And I know that yeah, some things are so important that you should find a way to get off work so you can attend them, but does a bunch of baseball games qualify as so important that a man should walk away from his job?

I think I'm uncomfortable, too, because you hear stories like this every so often, and they're always about competition in sports. Why do we never hear about parents quitting their jobs so they can watch their kids compete in national robotics competitions or so they can observe their kids' participation in national peace conferences? Because those things aren't as important as baseball?

I find it ironic that on the one hand, we celebrate a man who seems to have his priorities in order, quitting his job so he can travel with his son in this once-in-a-lifetime experience, but on the other hand, we glorify a man like Cal Ripken, Jr., who showed up for work healthy and ready to play for 2300 consecutive baseball games. Come on, baseball fans. Which is it going to be? Admire a man who does his job every day, or admire a man who doesn't let work get in the way of a family member's activity?
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X