Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS ground shipping to Hawaii? LMAO!!

Apparently, it can happen.

I just ordered something last week, and got the tracking number in my email sometime later (I didn't check it until later because I was busy). Anyway, when I went to the website and entered the tracking number, I was surprised that the package was already on Oahu, but its delivery time was rescheduled for an unknown reason, so it'll come before Wednesday.

I'm just amazed that there's ground shipping to Hawaii, from Ohio!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: UPS ground shipping to Hawaii? LMAO!!

there ISN'T ground shipping via UPS/FedEx to Hawaii. check your invoice, bet you paid for 1-2nd day air.

Comment

Yes, there IS ground service to the state of Hawai'i from the mainland via UPS.

What this UPS option allows is for a shipper to send a package, say from Ohio to Hawai'i, ground to the air departure point on the mainland for points in Hawai'i...this departure point is usually an airport in Southern California...and from that point, it goes air from there on to Hawai'i. Rather than paying for 100% air service from Cleveland to Honolulu, a shipper gets the significant savings of shipping a package half-way via ground, then half-way via air, to Hawai'i.

UPS just started this hybrid shipping option on Jan. 5 this year. Prior to this date, the only UPS options available to Hawai'i were Next Day and 2nd Day Air options.

While the price savings between air and ground are worth looking into, the scheduled delivery date differences between the two services are marked.

I sent a recent non-critical delivery date package last month to Kahului via UPS ground (from RI) and saved a decent chunk of change in doing so. But rather than getting the 2 day delivery date via air service, my package was guarenteed delivery in 7 days. I shipped it on a Monday; it arrived Kahului the next Monday.

I also ordered some hooded sweatshirts from the UH Bowtique online recently, and they too utilized the ground option via UPS in sending the goods to me. I tracked the package online..it went from HNL, then on to Kailua-Kona, where it caught a flight to LA, then from LA, it went ground here to RI.

UPS Ground from/to Hawai'i is a good option if you are not in a super rush to get your shipment from/to Hawai'i. The savings are significant and I think one gets better service than the USPS's Parcel Post.

I think a better name for this service would be "Ground/Air Hawai'i", as the service is not entirely ground.

As for FedEX...I don't know if they are yet offering a similar service to Hawai'i.

Comment

I shipped my bike from Minneapolis to Hilo in June by UPS "ground" for $150. It was 5 days in transit.

Comment

I've used the Ground services of both UPS and FedEx in shipping boxes from Hawaii to myself here on the east coast.

This last trip to Hawaii I sent off my box of packaging and souvenirs (UPS Ground) and it took a week to receive. Everything in it was in good shape. None of my souvenirs or packaging was damaged. I tracked my package from Hawaii and thought that it was interesting that it went to Onatario, Canada on its way to me. It was just under 33 pounds and cost me $66 to send.

Last Christmas when I was in Hawaii for my late grandfather's wake and funeral I sent a box off from a FedEx Kinko's. I was told that it would be a week. Well, it took a week from Hawaii to the east coast alright! But it sat in Hawaii for a week first! I saved $15 by not using UPS but that box took 2 freaking weeks to get to me! I will never ever use FedEx Ground from Hawaii again!

For my business I send all orders via USPS Priority Mail, unless it's a large/heavy order then I send via UPS Ground. My customers in Hawaii receive their orders in 3-4 business days. I've also sent smaller packages to myself from Hawaii via USPS Priority Mail and it has taken 3-4 days.
          Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
            Yes, there IS ground service to the state of Hawai'i from the mainland via UPS.
            Another reason why I love UPS! (and they honk their horn when they arrive, instead of opening a gate to your house when no one answered)
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

i've always been partial to shipping stuff via USPS Parcel Post...i first used it to ship a delicate 85-lb amplifier from san francisco to salt lake city...it cost me $20, i wrapped in in a sleeping bag, bubble wrap and a cardboard box and it arrived with no damage...it took 4 days to get there...
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ges-in-waikiki

Hey, I see a package that's for me!

Comment

Working...
                X