Thanks to threadstarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to threadstarters

I just want to say thanks to all the THREADSTARTERs and POSTERS who make this board a joy to read daily. I know starting a thread is hard , but we on this board have the most talented and opinionated people on the internet.

if you haven't started a thread or posted a reply give a try... no shame!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Thanks to threadstarters

Commenting on somebody else's thread is easy; it's often a lot harder to think of a fresh thread topic and get one going. Sometimes you toss a new thread out there and no one bites; other times the posts come hot and heavy. I wonder if there's a way to show which threads have the most posts?

Later: Oops, there is a way. If you're inside an individual forum you can click on the "Replies" column and it'll sort accordingly. My problem is that I generally live in the "Latest Posts" view, which doesn't allow for that.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 2, 2005, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Commenting on somebody else's thread is easy; it's often a lot harder to think of a fresh thread topic and get one going. Sometimes you toss a new thread out there and no one bites; other times the posts come hot and heavy. I wonder if there's a way to show which threads have the most posts?

Later: Oops, there is a way. If you're inside an individual forum you can click on the "Replies" column and it'll sort accordingly. My problem is that I generally live in the "Latest Posts" view, which doesn't allow for that.
      I hate when I get no bites...but I no shame at least i wen try

Flickr

Comment

There is always the View counter to a thread to see how many times it got viewed.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          I hate when I get no bites...but I no shame at least i wen try
          I just checked out the list of Threads you started, from your profile. Impressive list and interesting topics. So definitely no shame - Alohabear!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
            I just checked out the list of Threads you started, from your profile. Impressive list and interesting topics. So definitely no shame - Alohabear!
            Mahalo for looking.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              it's often a lot harder to think of a fresh thread topic and get one going
              I agree.

Before I started the "Local Jokes and Humor of Hawaii" thread, I used HT's "search" feature to look if one already existed, and nothing specifically on "local jokes/humor" showed up. I even thumbed manually through HT's pages and couldn't find anything on the subject (which suprised me B-T-W).

My coworker later found an (archived?) thread on HT through searching "local Hawaii jokes" on Google. By then my new thread was already started and getting replies... a good thing!.

Just make sure before starting a new thread to do some research on the board to see whether or not it already exists. Search manually, use the HT search tool AND Google!

Opinion-based thread topics such as "Your favorite local TV commercials" or "Best Plate Lunch Grindz" have been started and ended before, and will always re-appear. That's a given.

As for starting a thread, I ALWAYS explain the new subject in DETAIL. That way viewers know exactly what to respond with. I also try to set a few "rules" if you will to prevent topic drift and/or "unwanted" replies.

Starting a new thread and simply saying, "I think this about XXXX subject. What do you think?" tends to attract responses that either end up way OT and/or end up becoming an antagonistic discussion, or ultimately a flame war.

But hey, if get sum' ting fo' say, and nobody brought 'em up, no scade!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
              X