Everything Shave Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Everything Shave Ice

Waiola's large lilikoi, lychee in cup. No fillings, but if feel rad, get lilikoi cream topping (love da seeds).
    Last edited by salmoned; March 10, 2008, 11:45 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

For a short while I used to rent a two-bedroom apartment kiddy-corner from Waiola on Paani street. Jerry is the owner of Waiola Shave Ice and boy I tell you living across the street from that place was like Heaven on Earth. I'd wait until the line disappeared then I'd go across the street with my boys for some frozen bliss. We were so close when I plugged in my intercom into the outlet at my apartment, I could listen in to Waiola's conversations from their upstairs office and downstairs market.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        My sister has this heavy-duty, hand-cranked shave ice machine my parents bought for her a long, long time ago in Japan. It has a circular, machined metal base with a very sharp blade along the radius. You can adjust the height of the blade for fine to course ice shavings. It can go as fine as powder - that's how sharp the blade is. You use milk cartons to freeze the ice blocks. That's the ideal size for this machine.

When we first started using it back in the 80's, she bought all the syrups from Harder's. They're still around. Get all the ono flavors. Like Bubble Gum, Pistachio, Li Hing Mui, Coconut. Banana. Lychee. Anykine. They had a website, but I can't find it now.

Never cared for add-ons in my shave ice like Ice Cream or Azuki. Just 1, maybe 2 or 3 flavors combined, tops. With shave ice, simple is best, IMO. It's all in "the grind".
        I'm in Tokyo now and I use my shave ice machine.Shave ice isn't sold at very many places over here except summer festivals.I agree with simple is best.I can find peach,melon,strawberry,blue hawaii,cherry,banana,raspberry,grape and other syrups.

Comment

Matsumoto's is about the only place I buy shave ice from. Otherwise I'd make it.

Fully loaded with ice cream and azuku beans please!

I also absolutely love Ichiriki's green tea shave ice dessert. It's topped with azuki beans, mochi balls, and a heavy cream sauce that's just perfect!
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
            My favorite place to get shave ice is at the Shave Ice stand in front of the Sports Authority in Waikele.

The owner is a beautiful Korean woman named Jenny, who has been nothing but a sweetheart to me and my family. It's normal for us to buy shave ice, and then talk story with her for the next half hour.

DD
            =========================

My children and I love to stop at her stand to get a shaved ice treat. She loves my kids and she frequently gives a "little extra something" for them. I highly recommend stopping there if you are at Waikele.

The other place where I got shaved ice from was H. Miura Store in Haleiwa. I was very saddened to stop by there last week to discover that this incredibly historic store had gone out of business. There was little fanfare or discussion but I did find this article by Bob Krauss:
            http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...512050322.html

We would stop at Miura's for shaved ice because it was better than Matsumoto's and there was no long line.
            As a child on Maui in the 60's, we used to stop at Azeka Store in Kihei for shaved ice after going fishing on those hot, humid Kihei afternoons. I am saddened to discover that Azeka's has also closed down.
            http://www.azekas.com/

Comment

In my opinion, Matsumoto's is overhyped and has turned into a tourist destination. The flavor of the syrup is awesome, but I don't like the consistency of the ice. It's decent, but not what it's hyped up to be.

My favorite shave ice place is Waiola. It's like a 15 minute walk from my aunty's house, too! I get Liliko`i/Mango with ice cream at the bottom. The best thing about Waiola is the consistency of the ice. It's so so fine and it melts in your mouth. I've never tried azuki beans but next time I go back to Hawaii (hopefully next year) I will.

Also, Waiola's musubi is so ono!

Comment

hi this is sansei and many year's ago when i attended mae mae school in the 70's,i did go to John's store the original when it was runned by the first couple who's husband is now deceased and we used to buy cocoa cola in it's origina bottle the skirt bottle and we also purchased other sugary soda's in their original bottle's and i then later in life became a once bottle collector and i've stopped when i grew up and i have many of the old Cocoa cola bottle's the skirt bottle's and i have the other old sugary soda bottle's from that time and i now pass John's store and it seem's like it's closed or maybe it's going to be torn down or someone may have bought the land so not sure what'll happen with the store now?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

the best shaved ice i ever had was at our clan's annual tanna jin kai picnic at ala moana park. memories of a great childhood. rainbow flavored.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Waiola's ice is just a bit too fine for me: it melts pretty quickly. The concession at the Honolulu Zoo, OTOH, had it's blade set for a coarse grind - too many "chunks" of ice. I normally go to Baldwin's in the strip mall across Best Buy.

For the record, Matsumoto's, Aoki's, Miura's, Baldwin's, Island Snow (Lanikai), Koko-nuts, and numerous other outlets use the same ice blocks (Pure Gold).

I was in Hilo yesterday and enjoyed a plain strawberry "ice shave" from Itsu's. $1.50, and no tax.

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/40810308/...n-ice-machines

I thought ice is water.

Comment

https://www.khon2.com/news/what-is-h...e-sweet-snack/

I would have voted for Liliha Bakery's coco puffs or taro poi donuts.

Comment

I would vote shave ice too …

Comment

I guess crack seed has seen it's days! lol frozen mango is a good'n, but I've cut out sweets from my diet so I forget what I liked 'cept those blueberry popovers from Napoleon's / Zippys. I lived on those, now they taste too greasy. now my sweet tooth is satiated by healthier fruit juices, I don't crave sweets any more.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                            X