Kinda funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kinda funny

You know, that airport cutoff on Moanalua Freeway has always bugged me. They improved it somewhat by adding slanted arrows to the overhead signs and a few forking arrows to the roadway (here's the old way), but you still need only watch the area for a few minutes before you'll see a tourist suddenly panic and fly across the highway to make that offramp.

I keep thinking that all they have to do is paint some airplane silhouettes in the two rightmost lanes starting a quarter mile back. Forget all that reading... everyone should understand what an airplane means.
    Originally posted by cezanne
    I laugh at the "STOP HERE" signs that I come across sometimes. I guess they're just friendly reminders... there must be some who forget that we should stop at the line when it's red.
    Actually, some of those make sense to me, because some of our intersections are weirdly shaped or too wide to take in with one glance. You might otherwise think to stop below or at where the traffic lights are, but that would actually put you in the middle of the intersection. The Kapiolani/Atkinson/Kalakaua area (already a madhouse) might have these, for example, or the Kapiolani/Date/Kamoku/Kaaloa five-way.

Of course, too many signs can be confusing, too, even if they're all correct. I remember I used to always be confused by "Turn Here" signs on the Big Island, which I presume were put in place to help you know which side of a median or large traffic island to drive on. But I swear, sometimes I'd spot those signs halfway into a turn, and for a second my brain would panic at the new instruction - consistent with reality and common sense or otherwise.

Comment

I would love to see this scenerio challenged in traffic court: A traffic sign says "Left turn on Left Arrow only". Now the traffic light shows a Red left arrow. Legally can you turn left on a red arrow with that signage?

Common sense says: No you cannot. However the sign never denoted the color of the arrow, it only said "Left turn on Left Arrow only". There's a red left arrow but it's a left arrow regardless and the sign says you can take that left turn.

Now this sign is on Kapiolani BLVD heading Ewa turning left onto Ward. Somewhere around that area is another traffic sign that makes the distinction to turn left on a "Green Left Arrow" So using that sign as proof that there is a distinction between a Left Arrow and a Left Green Arrow should allow a driver to break a law and drive his car left onto Ward Avenue on a red left arrow.

If you ever get caught with this moving violation you may want to try this arguement. I think you'd win.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I keep thinking that all they have to do is paint some airplane silhouettes in the two rightmost lanes starting a quarter mile back. Forget all that reading... everyone should understand what an airplane means.
        Well, sure. It means... it's a runway, or a landing strip!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
        X