• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda funny

Confusing or just plain dumb?
    Attached Files

Re: Kinda funny

is that sign somewhere on oahu? if so, where? that iz funny; i'd like to see it myself
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Babooze
      Confusing or just plain dumb?
      huh? straight ahead or right turn on green only. whazz da prob, Bob?
      (right pzarq; that sign is the state motto of Honolulu.)
      Last edited by kimo55; September 5, 2005, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Um. Why is it funny? No left turn at any time, no right turns on red (i.e. wait for the light). I can think of dozens of intersections where you'd see this combination in town, such as along Kapiolani Blvd.

Comment

I know what it is saying,no left, no straight, only right on green. My offbeat sense of humour I guess. I find it kinda funny that the signs completely condradict each other. Shaveice its on the Mililani Town cutoff.

Comment

How does it convey: "no straight"?

Comment

How do the signs completely contradict each other? If there was a "No Left Turn," "No Right Turn," and "Wrong Way - Do Not Enter" all on the same pole, maybe. But that's what "Dead End" is for!

I guess I see this signpost nearly every day, as I live in Mililani. When you reach the light at the end of the loop ramp, you have to turn right (thus, no left turn at any time). However, they don't want you trying to merge into folks coming out of Mauka and generally trying to get onto H-2 south (thus, no right on red).

And sure you can't go straight, else you'd end up across Meheula Parkway on the H-2 north ramp going into Mauka.

There are lots of amusingly confusing signs in Honolulu. I guess I don't think this is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                There are lots of amusingly confusing signs in Honolulu.
                Yeah, like the one on the H-1 if you're headed to the airport from town. The sign says "Airport -- 4 miles" so you think you've got 4 miles to the airport offramp... but the off-ramp is less than half a mile!
                Then it's another 3-1/2 miles to the airport!
                Always see cars making hard cuts from the fast lane to that offramp. Stoopid sign.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

many visitors complain about our poorly, amateurishly planned hiways, signage and byways...

one sign sez:
                  Arizona memorial
                  stadium
                  right lane

another sez:
                  aloha stadium
                  next right
                  (and of course, it's not the next right, it's the one after.)

another sez:
                  stadium.

Ok.
                  HOW many stadiums do we have here?!
                  we give them nothing to know or to assume there is one only.

Comment

OR... if yer in the middle ewa bound lane and wanna get off wilder or luinalilo or king... ya gotta decide a half hour before, cuz a mile before these offramps, there always is a solid white line preventing you from making a legal right lane change. For a long distance!

Comment

If you guys who live in the 'aina rant that you have stupid signage (we do up here, too), then how do you expect us touristas to avoid accidents when trying to obey your signs? Please don't honk your horn at me or give me the one fingered shaka as I hold up a whole lane of traffic by slowing down and trying to decipher what your signs are trying to tell me, especially if I don't have a copilot sitting next to me screaming at me that the driver in the car directly behind mine is giving me the stinkeye and may do me bodily harm if I don't speed up.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

At least Oahu got signs. Kauai don't have signs that say "Halfway Bridge" or "Knudsen Gap".

Comment

I laugh at the "STOP HERE" signs that I come across sometimes. I guess they're just friendly reminders... there must be some who forget that we should stop at the line when it's red.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            If you guys who live in the 'aina rant that you have stupid signage (we do up here, too), then how do you expect us touristas to avoid accidents when trying to obey your signs?
                            Take a cab. Catch the bus. Hire a local to drive you around. Too many tourists go into vacation mode when they get here and turn off the common sense circuit in their brains. They have a hard time figuring out how to get from Waikiki to Ala Moana Center without almost causing three or four accidents on the way.

And how can you live "in" the aina? You can live on the land, or even off the land, but in the land? Wouldn't you have to dig a bit to get "in" the aina?

All my kupuna use "on," which makes more sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              Take a cab. Catch the bus. Hire a local to drive you around. Too many tourists go into vacation mode when they get here and turn off the common sense circuit in their brains. They have a hard time figuring out how to get from Waikiki to Ala Moana Center without almost causing three or four accidents on the way.

And how can you live "in" the aina? You can live on the land, or even off the land, but in the land? Wouldn't you have to dig a bit to get "in" the aina?

All my kupuna use "on," which makes more sense to me.
                              You say "tomato", I say "tomahto", das how. I used to live in the state of Hawai'i ("the 'aina"), on the island of Maui, in the town of Wailuku.

I actually preplan every road trip I take if I am unfamiliar with the roads. I don't like to take chances at ending up somewhere where I could get myself in trouble.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X