X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Sovereignty Groups

Originally posted by Miulang
    Aloha Jonah:
    I have another question for you to mull over: if the Akaka Bill fails (and I suspect it will), what will the sovereignty movement do?

Mahalos,
    Miulang
    Aloha Miuling,

Many people in the Hawaiian sovereignty movement, such as Haunani-Kay Trask, Kekuni Blaisdell, and Bumpy Kanahele do not support the Akaka Bill bill in its current form. Others, such as Pōka Laenui and Davianna McGregor half-heartedly support it. Since the Hawaiian sovereignty movement is far from unified, if the Akaka Bill fails, some will celebrate and others will mourn a missed opportunity. In a few days, Daniel Akaka will be 81 years old. Considering that his predecessor, Spark Matsunaga, passed away at the age of 74, time is not on Akaka's side and he seems to be in a bit of a rush to leave a legacy for the Hawaiian people. Ultimately, the time is at hand to begin focusing on training future generations to carry on the sovereignty movement.

Here are a few links....
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln15p.html
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../op/op08a.html
    http://www.hawaiiislandjournal.com/stories/8a03a.html

Cheers,

Jonah K
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      That would be great, Jonah. Over time, I would think such a list or overview - provided it doesn't get to the point that the "family tree" looks more like spaghetti - would be a great resource for people everywhere.

Would a wiki setup work at some point? It could allow collaborative creation and maintenance of such a resource... though conflicts and sabotage aren't unheard of with such an open framework!

Like I said, we all probably know a lot of the names and have specific memories of particular groups and movements, but it's hard to keep them straight.
      Aloha pzarquon,

I think that a "wiki setup" would probably be quite suitable for a overview of the different Hawaiian sovereignty groups, the leaders, and their particular stances on different issues, such as the Akaka Bill. Since some of the sovereignty groups are in a state of flux, alliances constantly formed and discarded, and opinions known to change, the ability for such a resource to quickly evolve would come in handy.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

I noticed that there is already a Wikipedia entry for "Hawaiian sovereignty movement". Maybe we could just add to that one, rather than start one from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
          Many people in the Hawaiian sovereignty movement, such as Haunani-Kay Trask, Kekuni Blaisdell, and Bumpy Kanahele do not support the Akaka Bill bill in its current form.
          but they support it in its previous form? or future form?

This thing will always be suspect, no matter what convoluted form it is presented to the populace by the snake oil salesmen

Comment

My question to you all is Sovereignty what the majority of Hawaiian or part-Hawaiian people want? Or is it just what a small group want? 476,000 identified themselves as Hawaiian and another race, of that number how many want sovereignty? My own son is part-Hawaiian, his Tutu who was 100% Pure Hawaiian, was married to a Filipino man. She always said she was proud to be an American, and to go back to "Da Kingdom " was crazy!

Does anybody have any numbers of Hawaiians in Kau Inoa?
            Last edited by alohabear; September 9, 2005, 07:59 AM.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              I noticed that there is already a Wikipedia entry for "Hawaiian sovereignty movement". Maybe we could just add to that one, rather than start one from scratch?
              Aloha Glen,

Mahalo nui for the link to the "Hawaiian sovereignty movement" Wikipedia entry. It'll save me from having to "reinvent the wheel."

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                but they support it in its previous form? or future form?

This thing will always be suspect, no matter what convoluted form it is presented to the populace by the snake oil salesmen
                Aloha kimo55,

When the Akaka Bill was first introduced, some that desired a "nation within a nation" model of "sovereignty" saw it as a step in the right direction. For instance, Haunani-Kay Trask was a proponent of the original Akaka Bill. However, Akaka made several compromises over the years to keep it alive and the revisions to it caused her to become a strong opponent of it. Here are a couple of links...
                http://www.hawaiiislandjournal.com/stories/02a04a.htm
                http://stopakaka.com/2002/fieldguide.html

If Akaka were to go back to the drawing board and elicit a broad spectrum of community input, he might be able to gain more support for the "Akaka Bill" (or whatever it would be called) among some Hawaiian sovereignty groups. However, it might be a little too late for him to do that now.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  One thing I have heard about Wikipedia, though, is that if there are arguments over entry content, you could end up with people maliciously deleting each other's entries and overwriting them with their own. Is this true? How does Wikipedia manage conflicting entries? And if Ryan set up a local wiki instead, would that be any different?

Comment

Working...
                  X