Least Favorite National TV Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Favorite National TV Ads

Does anybody else detest that awful commercial for RoadRunner with teenybopper Vanessa Carlton singing "Time Is On My Side"? It's like some kind of water torture. Every time it comes on and I hear the first two notes of the song I lunge to hit the Mute button.
    The first time I saw it I thought Vanessa's song was awful and thought it was perhaps a joke, like she was some instant reject from American Idol. Her voice is nasal and flat, and her piano playing is like something you'd hear at an elementary school recital.
    Sorry to vent, but the commercial is just horrible.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Horrible commercial

These past few weeks I have been watching the shows I want to watch via VCR, so whenever the commericals appear I just fast forwarding them.

Didn't notice the commerical you taking about but I know there is another one about Roadrunner and gaming. That too I have been fast forwarding whenever it comes up.

Comment

Most of the time warner commercials are awkward and jezz plain bayuuud.

hate the Linsdey wagner comm. where she is answering the phone talking about the sleepnumber bed. halfway thru the commercial while taking to us, she goes;
      Hi. I'm lindsey wagner.
      What happened. did she go through a time warp?\

swiffer, where they describe to thers, and show up close, everything the wiper picks up.
      yuk,
      Last edited by kimo55; February 8, 2005, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I just adore that commercial. Many times I can sing it and it start at the same time too...weird but everybody in the house just cracks up! Yep,"time is on my side...yes it is" Life is beautiful and although days can be filled with hate, ignorance, prejudice, ugliness, etc. Time dear friends is all we got to change it all! GOD BLESS ALL!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

More!
          From the "very awkward gimmick" file. commercials that show us ad agencies have completely lost their mind and their imaginations, leading them to parrot each other;

The commercials where we see hundreds of people lining up across city streets. or country roads.

commercials featuring strange, dumb animated icons above or around people's heads. Or within frame.

Ad agencies! Can't live with em, can't kill em.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            about Roadrunner and gaming. That too I have been fast forwarding whenever it comes up.
            Hate that one. Sorry eh, but da haole dude is unconvincing as an announcer. Need someone who has more presence.

btw:
            the first kid he approaches was in alotta stuff a few years ago;
            He was in a "let's talk story" local production series. One was the lemon tree billliard parlor, with Ray Bumatai.
            Very cute piece.

Comment

LikaNui, that ad grates on me too. I must confess to having once actually liked one of her overplayed singles, but overall, her voice is to thin and flat to be the basis of a "singing career." And the RoadRunner ad is awful. Didn't someone anywhere along the production chain notice that she sounded like a terminally ill waterfowl? The worst part is, it's composed so badly, I wasn't sure if she was going to sell me something like teeth whitener or a tampon or something.

I mean, what is she selling? Her CD, or Time Warner services, or what? And if it's the CD, who would buy it after hearing that?

As far as other bad national ads go? I keep a mental list! Specifically? KFC has been annoying me for a while now. And Overstock.com? Stupid ads, too.

Categorically? All jewelry ads, ads about diarrhea or gas or toenail fungus, ads featuring disembodied or talking body parts... Oh! And that whole large class of ads that rely on the "dads as incompetent boobs" as the punchline. (Or the even larger group of ads that presume all cleaning or cooking is done by women.)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Oh! And that whole large class of ads that rely on the "dads as incompetent boobs" as the punchline. (Or the even larger group of ads that presume all cleaning or cooking is done by women.)

Yea. and animated candy and gum.
                stew peed.

Or the egocentric genre
                "gitcher own box".
                'me first and only' Ah dun share with any family member.
                idiotic. What is this teaching kids?! (or even reinforcing to dimwitted adults?)

and that disgusting toenail animation. The gremlin lifts a toenail and... o too dusgusting to even think about.,
                And the cambell's commercials;
                that british twit;
                Gwodunn Elleey utt.
                "Try Key ayum bulls eeeyin sted."

I wanna slap him stupid!

Comment

My mom really hates that Carlton commercial. "Ugh, she sound so sick!" she says, heh. It didn't bother me until she mentioned it. Now I always notice when it's on and it's starting to get to me. Seems like it is on during every commercial break on every station now. It's almost worse than those Jamster phone commercials I see all the time.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Gawd help me, but as of yesterday there's a second RoadRunner commercial with Vanessa Carlton and she's still singing her horrible version of "Time Is On My Side"!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Gawd help me, but as of yesterday there's a second RoadRunner commercial with Vanessa Carlton and she's still singing her horrible version of "Time Is On My Side"!
                      Yes it is...Have a wonderful weekend everyone! "TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE"!
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Haha I like that rendition! I don't know who the singer is (well now I do) but the first time I heard it ... I liked it. Maybe they play it too much.

But yeah that RR gaming commercial gotta go.

Hmmm good subject. The ones that come to mind for me are the WaterPark ones and the Support UH Athletics (remember the couple sitting at the table then doing the wave?) ones... all of those to me are pretty bad.

Comment

I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

gettin tired of that cell phone comm. with catherine zeta jones
                            she tells us
                            get moe....
                            toke whenever....

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                              I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.

The original version by Erma Franklin (Aretha's sister) is worth hearing as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X