Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Originally posted by helen
    The highest flight wins. The motor has to be recovered either with the vehicle or separately.
    Interesting. How do you determine height? I mean, if you're eyeballing, I guess it'll come down to a judge? I'd think in a pack of rockets, more than a few different ones would still basically top out at the same altitude.

And the whole part about things having to be recovered? Sounds like folks in the area better have umbrellas!

Comment

Re: Model rocketry

There are various methods to determine the altitude of a model rocket, some of them involve visually tracking the flight. This link will take you to a PDF of a report that was written in the 1960's that explains the theory. As far as what you need to do this is a device that can measure angles, a tape measure, means to communicate between the launch pad and the tracking station and a calculator that has the needed trig functions (tangent, sine and cosine).

You use the tape measure to measure the distance between the launch pad and the tracking station, this will be the baseline. The device that measures the angle is at the tracking station. When the rocket is at the launch pad you set the angle measuring device at zero. When the rocket is launched you follow the flight with the angle measuring device and at the highest point in the flight you lock in the angle. Once you know the angle you can use this formula to determine the altitude:

altitude = baseline * tangent(angle)

(note: the * means multiply) As an example if your baseline is 60 feet and you measured an angle of 50 degrees, it will be:

altitude = 60 * tangent(50)
      altitude = 60 * 1.192
      altitude = 71.52 feet (or you could round it to 72 feet).

Comment

Update about the contest from the Jan. 2006 newsletter.

To anybody that wants to enter this contest, please come out and participate even if you aren’t a member.

The contest is on Saturday, January 21, 2006, starts at 2:30 pm and will run to about 3:30 pm.

This is not a NAR sanctioned event. No NAR contest points will be awarded.

It will be an altitude event utilizing the 1/4A3-3T engines. The highest flight wins. The vehicle must be returned to the judge without damage along with the motor for inspection and judging. The vehicle must not be caught or cushioned before touchdown.

First motor is free (which will be a 1/4A3-3T). Any flight after that is up to you. However the motor has to be inspected before the flight.

The inspected motor and the rocket need to be returned to the contest coordinator for inspection after each flight for the flight to be valid.

No entry shall eject the motor in flight in such a manner that the spent motor casing falls freely apart from the model.

If the contestant’s rocket cannot be seen from the tracking station while on the launch pad, it may be substituted for another rocket.

Tips for the contest:
        Visibility of a small rocket during flight is very difficult. A longer or wider rocket may have an advantage in being seen, as opposed to a small rocket that may go higher but can’t be seen.

Comment

YEAH! my kid is ready! cant wait.....rain go away. Now I gotta make one.

Comment

Re: Model rocket Club

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Thank you. How about a Rocket Drag Race next time using B6-4 motors? I can donate the motors. B6-4 or C6-5.

Would it be a format where it would have to take off and reach the ground
            in the least amount of time? or Highest wins but recovery a must?

I think I will start making a Digital Altitrack..... been wanting to do it for years
            but never had a reason!

Comment

1) Estes has been selling one or two kinds of R/C rocket gliders for the last ten years and about two or three weeks ago I noticed that Hobby Company at Pearlridge Shopping Center had one box available for sale.
              Been thinking about getting back into the game with my son. I downloaded the Estes catalog and have been reviewing the current models for a few days now. Bessides the Hobby Company, what other vendors do you all buy from locally?
              Last edited by Pretender; February 5, 2006, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Hobbietat on 1413 10th Avenue, Weller's Hobbycraft at 767 Kailua Rd (I never been there but one of the people I fly with has been there a few times, I don't know about latey) and Hobby Korner at 1700 South King Street (I stopped there yesterday, they don't have much in the way of rockets but they have only been around for 4 months).

Comment

Hobbietat on 1413 10th Avenue, Weller's Hobbycraft at 767 Kailua Rd (I never been there but one of the people I fly with has been there a few times, I don't know about latey) and Hobby Korner at 1700 South King Street (I stopped there yesterday, they don't have much in the way of rockets but they have only been around for 4 months).
                  Thanks for the info!

Comment

I have a bunch of stuff for sale, A lot of the stuff is great for getting back into launching. Also we launch every Sunday at 12:00pm at Halawa Park. We have been getting a few people come out and let the neighborhood kids launch also. (send me a PM if interested)

Also the rocket club meets every 3rd Saturday at Windward Community College. (plug for Helen)

Comment

Hoi, Helen. Was just wondering. As an organized club/activity, is it possible to get permission to use some space for rocket launches on military installations like Schofield or Wheeler? They have lots of open fields and parade grounds, many of which are not used on weekends. Just gotta watch out for the low flying helicopters. I know there are lots of military families always looking for family activities. Why not introduce rocketry? Just a thought.

Comment

This rain really puts a damper on this hobby. The only good thing is you can catch up on rebuilding the fleet. 2 weeks of no launching is getting extremely boring.

Comment

March has been a strange month this year, normally this time of the year we would get winds over 15 mph but instead we got a lot of rain and no wind.

Comment

Yeah! Haven't been able to get out at all between being sick and the weather. My daughter is thinking about something different to get into, now. Probably hula lessons.

Comment

HOPEFULLY WE CAN GO TO HALAWA 4/2/06 at 12 NOON to do some launching. 3 week ends since we went last because of the rain. you might say that we are all "trigger happy" right now!

Comment

I made a model rocket for physics in highschool. my neighbor at the time was into rockets as well and gave me the biggest baddest rocket he had...I forgot what it was, but it was mighty long. We launched it at Kapiolani park, the trades were in full crank. The launch pads were angled pretty extreme to combat the force of the winds. I cut holes in my chute to make sure it lands nearby. well...it was my turn up...got the rocket mounted and the straw thingy broke off the body. I quick fixed it with some scotch tape and on we go again. 3 - 2 - 1, GO...the trades helped it shoot straight up, then the chute came out. The trades up there were STRONG and started to carry the rocket out to sea. I started running after it...hoping it will just land already, as I closed into the shoreline...no hope to be found and it was gone. SUCKS!! well...at least I had best of show, if that's of any worth.
                                www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Working...
                                X