Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model rocketry

Originally posted by Pretender
    Wait, didn't we ALL carry our stuff in grocery bags? I also used a tackle box for the small stuff. Spent most of my allowance through Estes during that time. Biggest guy? Only image that comes to mind right now is the Bishops. As I recall the only guy that would make F engine flights on a regular basis.
    nope I was a A8-3 and C6-7 and D12-7 Fiend, nothing in between. Since I was using grocery bag storage method, I always had broken parts at the launches so I would spend time fixing them with my 1 minute epoxy. (no super glue invented yet!

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      One of things that I do as a hobby is build and fly model rockets. I will admit by building skills is not as good as my flying skill but my rockets do fly safely. It's been a long while since I have flown but I do have photos of some of the launches at the HawaiiStories Gallery. As well as some photos taken from the vantage point of a model rocket in flight.
      That brings back memories for me. All this talk about Estes but we also flew Centuri rockets. We used to buy rockets from a vendor at the Kam Drive-In Swap Meet during the early 70s. I even took a science course in high school at Aiea High School called "Rocketry". Anyone flew 1/2 A .049 Cox gas engine control line airplanes? We used to fly them at Blaisdell Park aka Pearl Harbor Park.
      Last edited by na alii; December 2, 2005, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I replied to your question about flying model airplanes in this thread. If anyone wants to bring up old memories or new experiences about the other model related hobbies like cars, boats or even the static plastic models I would suggest creating another thread in The Workshop forum.

Comment

I will be turning Halawa park into Cape Canavaral on Sunday 12/4 @ Noon (IF IT DOESN'T RAIN! uh HARD... aka scrub). Back parking lot. bringing my boring rockets, not the fun ones.

see you there.
          pray for little wind.
          BYOR

Comment

Well we lost 2 rockets being stupid by changing the angle after a few hours of successful recoveries. Then the rain came down. (they went into the trees)

I guess we will be there this Sunday the 11th again but at 11am. We got some "D" engine rockets ready so we will try that. We recovered 4 C engine launches there and lost 1 because the rocket went sideways! (ala missle!) It was a 30 year old engine it took off then stopped then went again! how weird.

So who do we contact for the rocket club?

TOO BAD CRAIG YOURE NOT HERE......

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
              I notice if I use 3 sheets on a A8-3 the shock cord is fine. With a C6-7 it burns the shock cord on 3 sheets. so I increased it to 5 sheets packed tight and no burn, this is on the Estes Bandit HBT-1090 (slightly larger than a BT-55)

I remember when wadding looked like cotton balls. I even tried cotton balls soaked in some solution, It was no solution, it was FLAMING BALLS at Kapiolani Park.
              Wasn't there a waddingless baffle-system? I think it was something whereas the ejection charge would go through a series of baffles with holes in them... I don't know how it could dissipate heat fast enough not to melt the parachute though.

I guess it wasn't such a great idea since this was in the 70's and you all are still talking about wadding 30 years later.

Comment

Centuri had the baffle system, but it only worked if the rocket body tube was a BT-60 or wider which was at least 1.6 inches in diameter. I don't know why Estes didn't pick up on the idea. Maybe they figured that the sales of wadding would decrease.

Comment

Sort of. It's called Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii. Been inactive for the last year and half. Had a launch a couple of weeks ago and the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.
                  I think I'll check this out.

Comment

the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.
                    My mistake on the starting time, it starts at 2:30 pm not 3:30 pm.

Comment

Yesterday was fun. We got there at 1pm. Sun right in our faces. Shot some small rockets to judge the wind. I still can't figure out why those mini engines fly so high! An A3-4 went higher than our light A8-3 rockets. We also shot off a "D" engine and recovered it, but the chute failed (which was a good thing or we would have lost it!) and a fin broke away. landed 50' before the fence. I am going to have to cut out the spill hole next time around. We also shot a SR-71 Estes kit. looked so slow going up on a B6-4, recovery was good. But really I am starting to like those plastic fin estes kits. I guess I like it because if you lose them there is not so much pain thinking about how much time you spent building them. I have some other vintage rockets but I am afraid of losing them so on the shelf they stay.

Here is a pic of our SR-71 on the pad.
                      Last edited by speedtek; December 12, 2005, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Power to weight ratio is probably higher on the A engines. Remember the bottle rockets shot out of the pipe as "ahem" Kevin rode shotgun in your bug one New year's day cruzing Kahala?
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nice picture. Sure brings back memories. I could not see any wires, what kinda ignition setup do you use?

Comment

From the picture the person is holding a small black box which looks like the current Estes launch controllers and they also use thinner gauge wire, maybe 22 gauge, so it doesn't show in the photograph very well.

I am kind of wondering what that orange thing is by the person left elbow?

Comment

The orange thing is a streamer that is attached to the launch rod protector/key. It tells us which way/how strong the wind is blowing when it is on the L rod. It is old school compared to the wind sock. Plus it alerts people something is there. Yes the controller is the one with the thin wires.

Are we free to launch at the meeting on saturday? or just bring our own equipment? or is it closed to us Re-Newbies/BARS/REBARS/FUBARS?
                              I can't wait to watch others launch thier rockets.

Comment

The launch is free, bringing your own launch pad and controller is optional.

Comment

Working...
                                X