Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model rocketry

Originally posted by speedtek
    They always had the "D E F's" we just could not afford them! Maybe the "D's" $3.95 for 3 back in the 70's not they are $9.00! The "E & F's" were Centuri engines. Remember the one we lost at Waialae Iki Park? went into the golf course.
    I think back in those days I could afford to buy those engines and the rockets if I saved enough money but the main problem for me was where to fly. I was losing Alpha's on A8-3 from my folks background, there was no way to fly a E engine rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
      That club was the Honorocs! Meetings were also at the Moiliii library. The first time I saw the movie, "Dark Star" was at one of those meetings.
      Ok whick guy were you? I was the biggest guy there. always carried my rockets in grocery bags and a large craftsman tool box. My rockets were the ugliest for the group. hehehe. I made a lot of home mades which were always going everywhere.

My favorite rocket is the Cherokee-D, It had nine lives. Lost once in the iron wood tree (recovered 2 weeks later) and it went swimming in the ocean (recovered by surfers and lived to fly again). Gone now, mom threw it out. Now I have parts to build 10 of them. also have a BT-50 version.

Comment

Launch: Sunday Nov. 27, 2005, 1:00 PM
        Site: Halawa
        Rocket: CBR (Chinese Bottle Rocket)
        Wind: very little

First Flight: 1/2A6-2
        Height: 200 Feet
        Notes: Recovered
        Problems: Single streamer came down too fast, smashed bodt tube.

Second Flight: A6-4 Quest
        Height: 450 Feet
        Notes: Recovered
        Problems: Triple streamer came down good pole stuck in ground.

Summary: Excellent straight flights for no fins. Easy to build.
        working on a bigger D-Engine one now! Only draw back it the wood stand
        gets a little burnt.
        The Chinese are too smart, no fins and it flys straight. Less cost.
        The German V's with fins were more dangerous.

My son hooking it up.

Must be getting old, reflexes getting slow.

Recovery in the grass right side up. YEAH!

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          I think back in those days I could afford to buy those engines and the rockets if I saved enough money but the main problem for me was where to fly. I was losing Alpha's on A8-3 from my folks background, there was no way to fly a E engine rocket.
          We have been having good luck at Halawa. We recovered many rockets on C-6 engines. Parachute and Streamers. Lost only 2 on those engines because the shock cord broke/melted and the nose cones floated away.

synopsis: when using bigger engines use more wadding? i had 4 sheets in there. I will be changing to Kevlar thread soon.

Comment

Aha! Okay Speedtek I'll keep your name a secret. Derek gave you away. I shoulda known

Yeah I remember the one that went Makai at Waialae Iki park. That was a nice semi-metallic one. I remember saying: 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4 uhhh Gary time to get away from the launch pad! 3-2-1!

Still waiting for Nero!

Craig
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Me and my son go rocket shooting just about every week at Halawa park.
              Sandy's is too ridiculous. Lost our first rocket we launched a few weeks ago.
              Is there any rocket clubs? I use to belong to one in 1970. i forgot the name.
              But the pres at the time was Michael Okuda who is a die hard trekkie fan who use to show up at lauches and meetings (Manoa Library) wearing a mustard Star Trek shirt like Capt. Kirk wore! He went on to even make weapon props for the ST movies and work on the sets. Shoot for the stars?
              Michael Okuda...boy that brings back memories. Not only is he a die-hard Trekkie that designed some of the props he also designed the set for the first Star Trek Movie... Remember? Look at the first series of Star Trek Movies starting with "The Movie" you'll see Michael Okuda's name on the credits.

And the great part of it all is that he's a local boy! He used to work for Queen's Hospital when he got the contract to design the set.

He told me once that on the Captain's chair they had to replace the leather with something that didn't squeak when someone sat there and on one of the armrests there is a sticker that says, "Warp 5 it not only saves lives...it's the law"

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Aha! Okay Speedtek I'll keep your name a secret. Derek gave you away. I shoulda known

Yeah I remember the one that went Makai at Waialae Iki park. That was a nice semi-metallic one. I remember saying: 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4 uhhh Gary time to get away from the launch pad! 3-2-1!

Still waiting for Nero!

Craig
                It was called a Centuri "Quasar" same as my CB name....

Comment

It was called a Centuri "Quasar" same as my CB name....

Yep catch ya on the flip side Quasar...this is KLO-9584 the Essex...we're 10-8 and 10-10 on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Michael Okuda...boy that brings back memories. Not only is he a die-hard Trekkie that designed some of the props he also designed the set for the first Star Trek Movie... Remember? Look at the first series of Star Trek Movies starting with "The Movie" you'll see Michael Okuda's name on the credits.
                    He didn't start working until the 4th movie, but he did the text commentaries for the DVD versions.

Comment

Michael Okuda
                      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
                      Jump to: navigation, search
                      Michael Okuda is an artist who is best known for his work on Star Trek.

In the mid 1980s he designed the look of animated computer displays for the Enterprise-A bridge in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

This lead to a staff position on Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987 as a scenic artist, adding detail to set designs and props. His most famous contribution to The Next Generation is the look of the fictional LCARS computer system used throughout the Enterprise-D and other Starfleet starships, a style that has come to be known among fans as "okudagrams".

Michael also served as a technical consultant on Star Trek along with Rick Sternbach, advising the script-writers on the technology used throughout Star Trek, such as the transporters and the warp drive. This work resulted in a Technical Manual that was distributed to prospective script-writers along with the series bible. The manual was later published in revised and updated form as the Star Trek: The Next Generation: Technical Manual by Pocket Books. Michael then went on to write a number of Star Trek books with his wife Denise.

Michael continued working at Paramount Studios on the Star Trek series that followed The Next Generation, until the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005. He also worked on the Star Trek movies that were produced while the television series were in production.

Michael remains involved creatively with the Star Trek franchise and is currently an acting consultant for Perpetual Entertainment in their development of MMOG, Star Trek Online.

Comment

synopsis: when using bigger engines use more wadding? i had 4 sheets in there.
                        How much wadding to use is dependent on the width of the body tube. For the Estes BT-50 tube is 3 sheets, BT-55 is 4 or 5 sheets, BT-60 is 6 sheets and BT-80 is 13 sheets.

Comment

I notice if I use 3 sheets on a A8-3 the shock cord is fine. With a C6-7 it burns the shock cord on 3 sheets. so I increased it to 5 sheets packed tight and no burn, this is on the Estes Bandit HBT-1090 (slightly larger than a BT-55)

I remember when wadding looked like cotton balls. I even tried cotton balls soaked in some solution, It was no solution, it was FLAMING BALLS at Kapiolani Park.

When did they restrict rocket Launching at Kapiolani Park? I remember back in the early 70's the soccer guys use to complain about us. But then we told the director of parks at the time that they use up the all the space everywhere from dawn to dusk. He agreed and told them to "stuff it". We were only there from 7:30am till noon.

So is there a club left on Oahu?
                          Last edited by speedtek; November 28, 2005, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I notice if I use 3 sheets on a A8-3 the shock cord is fine. With a C6-7 it burns the shock cord on 3 sheets. so I increased it to 5 sheets packed tight and no burn, this is on the Estes Bandit HBT-1090 (slightly larger than a BT-55)

I remember when wadding looked like cotton balls. I even tried cotton balls soaked in some solution, It was no solution, it was FLAMING BALLS at Kapiolani Park.
                            Centuri used treated cotton balls, Estes still uses treated toilet paper. Quest in the past used pre-cut sheets I don't know about now.

When did they restrict rocket Launching at Kapiolani Park? I remember back in the early 70's the soccer guys use to complain about us. But then we told the director of parks at the time that they use up the all the space everywhere from dawn to dusk. He agreed and told them to "stuff it". We were only there from 7:30am till noon.
                            Oh about 1999 or so. I know around that time they stop issuing permits but they never changed the signs. Does it say now that model rocketry is not permitted at the park?

So is there a club left on Oahu?
                            Sort of. It's called Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii. Been inactive for the last year and half. Had a launch a couple of weeks ago and the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.

Comment

Only on the web site it lists places you can launch.

Kaimuki is also on the list but when I went there, there was a sign posted that said NO Rocket Launching or Model Airplanes, but funny it is just stickers put on crooked. someone told me one of the politicians live around there and he did it himself. I asked my friend who works at the Dept of P & R and he said they have no changes on that park. But you know how it is. If it is on the sign the Police don't care.

Of course you can lauch on any LARGE property with permission and not violating any FAA NO or LOW fly zones.

SYNOPSIS:

CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU
                              DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION

MODEL ROCKET LAUNCHING AREAS:

DISTRICT I - Hawaii Kai to Manoa/McCully/Waikiki
                              District 1 Office - 2015 Kapiolani Boulevard - 973-7250
                              1. Sandy Beach Park - 8800 Kalanianaole Hwy. - 395-2211

DISTRICT II - Makiki to Aiea
                              District 2 Office - 1527 Keeaumoku Street - 522-7070
                              1. Booth District Park - 2341 Kanealii Avenue - 522-7040
                              2. Halawa District Park - 99-795 Iwaiwa Street - 483-7852
                              3. Kamehameha Community Park - 1400 Kalihi Street - 832-7819

DISTRICT III - Pearl City to Waianae to Wahiawa
                              District 3 Office - 94-230 Paiwa Street - 675-7130
                              1. Neal S. Blaisdell Beach Park - 98-319 Kamehameha Highway
                              2. Waipahu District Park - 94-230 Paiwa Street - 677-4733

DISTRICT IV - Mokuleia to Makapuu
                              District 4 Office - 45-660 Keaahala Road - 233-7300
                              1. Maunawili Neighborhood Park - 1489 Ulupii Street - 259-8926

Comment

I was the biggest guy there. always carried my rockets in grocery bags and a large craftsman tool box. My rockets were the ugliest for the group. hehehe. I made a lot of home mades which were always going everywhere.
                                Wait, didn't we ALL carry our stuff in grocery bags? I also used a tackle box for the small stuff. Spent most of my allowance through Estes during that time. Biggest guy? Only image that comes to mind right now is the Bishops. As I recall the only guy that would make F engine flights on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X