Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model rocketry

Originally posted by helen
    From the picture the person is holding a small black box which looks like the current Estes launch controllers and they also use thinner gauge wire, maybe 22 gauge, so it doesn't show in the photograph very well.
    Thanks Helen. My point of reference is 1970's technology.

Hey Speed, remember the launch console used at Honorocs events? It could control 7+ launch points on that converted saw horse like launch pad and had a vehicle-like safety key Mike Okuda or Mike Lim would always carry the key around their necks.

Comment

yes I remember that.....

the problem with the sawhorse is that it was setup only to go straight up, no angles so into the ocean many of the high flyers went. I wish they had LEDs back then for night launches.....heavy batteries didn't cut it. I remember everyone who launched on that horse with a Cameroc all lost it and it broke!

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        My mistake on the starting time, it starts at 2:30 pm not 3:30 pm.
        Is anyone else going? That field at WCC looks awfully small. I would think the district park right down the road would be a better place.

I'll check it out for a little bit... then Broncos/Bills game at 3:30.

Anyone know of any plans available for a rocket propelled RC glider/plane? Whereas it would be rocketed to altitude and radio controlled back? I still have my RC plane stuff and thought that that would be a cool project.

Comment

Launching at WCC was fun. It is challanging because the wind changes direction all the time. Lost one. Rocket meets are good because you get to see a lot of different things and pick up a few pointers. There was a bonus yesterday watching HFD get a expensive Video rocket out of the tree!

Comment

1) Estes has been selling one or two kinds of R/C rocket gliders for the last ten years and about two or three weeks ago I noticed that Hobby Company at Pearlridge Shopping Center had one box available for sale.

2) One of the club members works for Windward Community College and was able to get permission to use that field every 3rd Saturday of the month from 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm. Granted it's not the biggest field on the island but it is suitable for 1/2A to C engines and low atltitude D or E engine flights.

Comment

Halawa report for 12/18/05:

Conditions were very windy and overcast. Time was 12:30. Launched a few rockets on streamer recovery only and were able to recover them ok. We did lose one because it the wadding was packed too tight and don't know where it went. It is some lawn dart stuck somewhere.

Comment

Sat. WCC launch

So who was who out there? I came for a little bit and watched from the table area under the banyan tree up top. I recognized the black star-trekky looking rocket from the pics in this thread. It was pretty cool to watch and it rekindled some great memories.

The Estes site has some good reads regarding rocket boosted glider design. Searching around I found another interesting read with pics and videos:
                http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1391735

Comment

I didn't show up until the 3:30-3:45 pm time frame. Did get to meet speedtek.

Comment

I went home and built some UFOs as one of the guys had suggested. I made these so they can fly 18 and 24mm motors and can be staged. Great for windy days!

I also made templates if anyone wants one.

Comment

I would guess that the arrows denote possible flight paths.

Comment

amazingly saucers fly very straight. not fast due to the resistance (lack of aerodynamics going straight up) and when they come down.... bowl side up and basically straight down.

I hope someone has some inexpensive D12-0 engines that I could buy or trade? (don't like the retail price! I am cheap OK?)

Comment

ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Helen could you please post the rules for the 1/4A rocket contest? and when it will be. Thank you.

Comment

Re: Sunday January 1st Rocket Launch

We will be at Halawa Park launching some rockets at 11:00am to 1:30pm. Backside parking lot. New Years Day '06. If anyone is interested stop by.

Comment

Re: Sunday January 1st Rocket Launch

Originally posted by speedtek
                              We will be at Halawa Park launching some rockets at 11:00am to 1:30pm. Backside parking lot. New Years Day '06. If anyone is interested stop by.
                              Cancelled due to the rain.

Comment

Re: ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Originally posted by speedtek
                                Helen could you please post the rules for the 1/4A rocket contest? and when it will be. Thank you.
                                Here it is. It's from the December 2005 newsletter:

On the 21st of January 2006, the Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii invites you to come out and fly with us at Windward Community College at 2:30 pm (weather permitting).

On this day we will have a friendly contest. It will be an altitude event utilizing the 1/4A3-3T engines. The highest flight wins. The motor has to be recovered either with the vehicle or separately. The vehicle must be returned to the judge without damage along with the motor for inspection and judging. The vehicle must not be caught or cushioned before touchdown.

Now keep in mind that a 3 second delay is a very long time to coast to apogee for a 1/4A3 motor.

Build light, build sleek and keep thinking slippery smooth flights.

Motors and igniters shall be supplied. Prizes shall be awarded. Let’s have some fun. If the meet gets rained out, we will postpone the contest until the following month.

Comment

Working...
                                X