What Once Was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Once Was...

Playing around on the 'puter, I just discovered that the Makiki Cemetery once was the original site of the Agricultural Station in Hawai'i. Here's a Thread for other "What once was..." Here's aLink
    Last edited by Menehune Man; September 13, 2005, 07:57 PM. Reason: Add link
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: What Once Was...

Restaurant Row used to be the old Honolulu Ironworks. I still remember that there was a Flamingo restaurant on that lot in the 1970s.

Comment

I couldn't get the link. Sound's interesting.

I keep getting this: www.ctahr.hawaii.edu home page

OK, now, I got it! WOW! Now, Help with the Cemetary!

Note: The Fong's own the property so I better hurry.

Auntie Lynn

Note: The old Waialae Drive Inn used to be a Cemetary. My grandparents are buried there but I don't know how to go about looking for them. Anybody know the proper channels or how I could start?
      Last edited by 1stwahine; September 13, 2005, 08:09 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Don't know why the link won't work. I double-checked the writing and it's correct? Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
          Don't know why the link won't work. I double-checked the writing and it's correct? Sorry
          Were you trying to point to this page?

Comment

Yes! Thanks Buddy! Though there's an accompaning page that says it's now the site of the Makiki Cemetery.
            Last edited by Menehune Man; September 13, 2005, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Note: The old Waialae Drive Inn used to be a Cemetary. My grandparents are buried there but I don't know how to go about looking for them. Anybody know the proper channels or how I could start?
              I've seen many a movie there... back in the day! Now it's a storage place, eh?

Comment

Aunty, here's a little more information for you:

Question: Who is responsible for the upkeep of that cemetery in Waialae Kahala that stretches between Keanu Street and Waialae Avenue? It borders Kiionioni Street and is parallel to Hunakai.

Answer: Ocean View Cemetery is owned by the family of former U.S. Sen. Hiram Fong, who says there is a caretaker who lives in a house at the site. "We have engaged a landscape architect to draw up plans to beautify" the cemetery, although the plans have not yet been realized, he said. Fong, who took over ownership of the cemetery in 1935, says, it "is very old." It once was a rock pile where the city buried indigents, Fong said, but burials were stopped years ago. If you have any concerns about the cemetery, call Fong at 548-4981.

As an aside, we were able to find some information about the cemetery from Nannette Napoleon Purnell, founder of the Cemetery Research Project. Purnell has compiled a directory of graveyards on Oahu, Maui and Molokai. We viewed copies at the Hawaiian Historical Society Library at 560 Kawaiahao St.

(Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 12/16/2000)
                Not sure exactly who to call now that Sen. Fong has died, but I'm sure it's still in his family.

Comment

I've seen many a movie there... back in the day! Now it's a storage place, eh?

I saw Poltergeist there, many moons ago - very appropriate. I also remember there used to be a swap meet there on weekends. After the drive-in shut down(mid-80's?) they turned it into a putting green, am not sure when Public Storage took over.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    I couldn't get the link. Sound's interesting.

I keep getting this: www.ctahr.hawaii.edu home page

OK, now, I got it! WOW! Now, Help with the Cemetary!

Note: The Fong's own the property so I better hurry.

Auntie Lynn

In my hanabata days I remember the story about the faceless woman with the rather large scar on her face as she would appear in the mirror in the women's bathroom from time to time.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto

In my hanabata days I remember the story about the faceless woman with the rather large scar on her face as she would appear in the mirror in the women's bathroom from time to time.
                      <ot> Eh Moto...looks like we had da same kine hanabata days. What school you wen grad? Remembah Mynah Bird Drive-In, before it became Jolly Rogers, which later became Zippy's? Skateland? Tom Thumb slot car racing? </ot>

Comment

There was a great article (almost ten years ago? wow!) in the Star-Bulletin, "Where (_____) Used To Be."

I love how locals give directions based on no-longer-existing landmarks. ("Where Kapiolani Theaters used to be..." or "Where Cinerama used to be..." or "Where Kelly's Drive-Inn used to be...") Though as time passes, even those memories fade. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving through the east end of Waikiki on Kuhio, and was having a hard time visualizing where the Kuhio Twins were previously located. It's a completely different neighborhood now.

And... it's on the tip of my tongue... what was the coffee shop at Nimitz Highway and Lagoon Drive that's now a Kia Motors lot? Coco's? I remember using that as a landmark for directions way back when, but now I'm not sure who'd remember (as I've clearly forgotten!).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          I love how locals give directions based on no-longer-existing landmarks. ("Where Kapiolani Theaters used to be..." or "Where Cinerama used to be..." or "Where Kelly's Drive-Inn used to be...")
                          It's something I noticed about locals on Oahu giving directions in this manner. I don't remember people on Kauai or the Big Island giving directions in this manner. Then again neither of those groups makes use of the Diamond Head, Ewa, Mauka, Makiki directions.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            And... it's on the tip of my tongue... what was the coffee shop at Nimitz Highway and Lagoon Drive that's now a Kia Motors lot? Coco's? I remember using that as a landmark for directions way back when, but now I'm not sure who'd remember (as I've clearly forgotten!).
                            Wasn't Coco's where the Hard Rock Cafe is now? At the corner of Kapiolani/Kalakaua?

Comment

Wasn't Coco's where the Hard Rock Cafe is now? At the corner of Kapiolani/Kalakaua?
                              Yes.

The faceless woman of the Drive Inn, was my Grandmother...shot in the face by my grand father who then comitted suicide! I'll write about it in my BLOG November! Ohhhh...da spooky!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X