Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for lunch - Chapter 6

Default Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 6

A feast from New Diner's Drive In (1333 N. King St.) with the wife, baby, and glossyp! One of their famous monster cheeseburgers, a loco moco, a combo plate with kalbi and pork cutlet, a mochiko chicken plate and a fried mahi plate.

Gads I'm stuffed! The loco was my favorite. At under $4? A deal! The rest, not bad. The cook is too fond of vinegar if you asked me...

Howzit pzarquon,

Is that a camera phone you're using to take all your food shots?

Whoah, $4.00 for that local moco.. good deal!

Most plate lunches are at the $6.00 avg. price now. So much for that "gotta-be-under 5 buck$" magic number.

Zippy's is moving into the $7-8 zone. Ouch.

Yep, a camera phone. A pretty lousy camera, to be sure, but considering everything else it does, I don't mind. And in the right light, some of the photos aren't half bad!

I know what you mean. Zippy's food has gotten fancier, I guess, but the prices have gone with it. I still tend to stick to the "shallow end" of the menu, the typical drive-in stuff rather than their prettied-up "cuisine."

As for New Diner's loco moco, ho boy. The size of the thing -- square styrofoam tray notwithstanding -- was pretty dang impressive for the price. Two eggs, and two of their giant, thick, moist hamburger patties (not the usual floppy pancake patties usually made especially for loco mocos). If I want "guilty pleasure" taste and enough bulk to fill me for the day, that's what I'd recommend.

I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff, yet it was about $2 cheaper from lunch time, I think they have a dinner special going on after 5pm. What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff, yet it was about $2 cheaper from lunch time, I think they have a dinner special going on after 5pm. What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products.

That IS bizzare! Go back tomorrow at lunch and see what's up with that. So wait a minute: Mountain Dew. Is it a Coke or a Pepsi concoction? You're the expert Helen!

Mountain Dew is bottled by Pepsi here. When I went this evening the nozzle that had the Mountain Dew in the afternoon had a Power Blade selection instead. Then I noticed the rest of the selections were Coke so I took Diet Coke for dinner. I guess I should go back tomorrow just to see what's what.

I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff
    O.K. just checkin'. Jared ordered a 6" Turkey for lunch, foot long Veggie for dinner.

Pastrami for lunch AND dinner.. you go!

What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products
    This is a first! A HAUNTED Subway restaurant in Hawaii. Hope you consider adding it to the Obake Files.

Would be even more bizzare if the restaurant became a Quiznos or Blimpie at dinner time.

Again, this thread is makin' me hungry. Gonna' have to grab me a footlong Seafood & Crab for dinner tonight. The Subway near us offers any footlong after 5:00pm for $3.99 (somethin' like that). What a deal!

Went back to that same Subway today and had a pastrami foot long sandwich, chips and Diet Coke. According to one of the workers they had switch to Coke products yesterday.

Also munching on some cookies from there as well as a refill of Diet Coke.

Pig Feet Soup from Janes Fountain on Liliha Street (Take-out), Can Red Salmon with diced cold tomato/maui onions/dash of aloha shoyu on top. Poi

Pepsi with Ice.
    (I getting the habit)

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Went back to that same Subway today and had a pastrami foot long sandwich, chips and Diet Coke. According to one of the workers they had switch to Coke products yesterday.
    Temporary switch or permanent?
    I remember when Pepsi had their national convention on the Big Island a few years ago and for a week or ten days you simply could not find a Coke anywhere on the island!

That Subway Pastrami sandwich must be REALLY good. 3 times consecutively.. That's it, I'm tryin' one!

Today was a Somen Salad from Tropics Fish & Vegetable Market (Ward).

Hey, us guys gotta' watch our "figure" too ya' know!

Half a container of New York Super Fudge Chunk. Fell asleep and woke up late and had to pick up the kids, so that's all I had time for. There's tuna in the pantry calling mt name, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    That Subway Pastrami sandwich must be REALLY good. 3 times consecutively.. That's it, I'm tryin' one!

Today was a Somen Salad from Tropics Fish & Vegetable Market (Ward).

Hey, us guys gotta' watch our "figure" too ya' know!

Yeah, Helen. Me and skinny Pomai want to know what you get on your subway pastrami!

All the veggies, no salt, no pepper, no oil, no vinegar, mustard, mayo, and cheese (type of which changes from order to order).

Default Re: SUBWAY

My Subway fav' has always been the Seafood and Crab on Wheat with ALL the fixinz, bag o' Pretzels and Lemonade drink.

Speaking of skinny, what's the deal with people who order fast food mega-burger screw-the-arteries super-duper combo deluxes.. then drink a DIET SODA with it? Never figured that one out.

Helen can get by with that, after all she's eating a relatively HEALTHY meal, so it makes sense.

Hey, it's dinner soon. Once again this thread is makin' me hungry.

Default Re: SUBWAY

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    My Subway fav' has always been the Seafood and Crab on Wheat with ALL the fixinz, bag o' Pretzels and Lemonade drink.

Speaking of skinny, what's the deal with people who order fast food mega-burger screw-the-arteries super-duper combo deluxes.. then drink a DIET SODA with it? Never figured that one out.

Helen can get by with that, after all she's eating a relatively HEALTHY meal, so it makes sense.

Hey, it's dinner soon. Once again this thread is makin' me hungry.

Pomai,
    I'm one of those. I cannot tolerate a sugar soda. I would drink water first. I am a diet cola fan. I don't make a habit of eating a mega burger, but when I do you can bet it's with a diet soda on the rare occasion that I do. My justification? Well shoots, if I'm eating all this crap, the least I can do is wash it down with a sugar free beverage!

Default Oodles Of Noodles

Yakisoba Noodles with Vegetables and Kamaboko from Tropics Fish Market. Hawaiian Sun Passion Orange Drink. $2.50 lunch can't go wrong!

Spinach stuffed chicken, brown rice, cooked mixed veggies and a bottle of water.

Helen! Sounds delicious. Different for you, though!
    Here's what I'm having: Part of the Parisian Salad Kit from Costco, augmented with cherry tomatoes and a scoop of tuna salad. yummy. Grapefruit sections. Mini granola bar. H20.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    Here's what I'm having: Part of the Parisian Salad Kit from Costco, augmented with cherry tomatoes and a scoop of tuna salad. yummy. Grapefruit sections. Mini granola bar. H20.
    what? you're working from home now? some gals have all the luck...

for lunch, i'm thinking of the baked chicken bento i'm getting from that Korean couple that runs the walk-in vending machine on halekauwila when i go to work...and some gatorade...

Quote Originally Posted by jdub

for lunch, i'm thinking of the baked chicken bento i'm getting from that Korean couple that runs the walk-in vending machine on halekauwila when i go to work...and some gatorade...

Shoots! No, I packed it. I ate it at work. But I am telecommuting, too. I work MTWTh mornings til 1:30p.m. and Friday afternoons. But I'm kinda on 24-7 for all the other stuff: writing, laying out the newsletter, working on the Website.

Hope your chicken-w/Gatorade chaser was delightful!

Quote Originally Posted by jdub
    huh!? that's a gal's line.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    huh!? that's a gal's line.
    none that i know, kimo-san...

Beef pot roast, brown rice, mixed veggies and a bottle of water.

Char siu stewed noodle from Mini Garden at Hotel and Smith. Used to get this at least weekly, but it's been a while.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast