Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    I went to THREE different grocery stores in an attempt to buy one freakin' 20lb bag of rice. I canNOT bring myself to type the price I paid for that bag when I finally found it, but know this! It was NOT on sale™.
    Yipe! I forgot about rice. We're covered on most fronts (for once, buying at Costco and having too much of stuff is a good thing), but yeah, we're down to our last dozen cups or so on the gohan. Hmm.

One effect of the Katrina aftermath is that local forecasters are not going to jump to conclusions about distant storms. Jova seems destined to fade and pass to the east, but... never say never.

Comment

Corky Trinidad seems to have an idea who purchased all that bottled water over the weekend. No idea on the guilty party or parties who hoarded the rice.

Comment

How does one cook rice when there's no electricity or generators? I was about to buy some but rethought it. Bought pretzels & crackers instead.

Canned soups work too...but again. How do i warm them up (cold is always a better option that starvation) without building an open fire in my yard?

Comment

There is always portable camp stoves that run on propane. However since I don't have one I was buying stuff that can be eaten without cooking such as spam and tuna.

Comment

When a storm forms in the Central Pacific region (that's our area) then it is assigned a Hawaiian name. They started doing that in 1982. It's probably no coincidence that the two worst hurricanes in Hawai‘i since then, ‘Iwa and Iniki, have both had Hawaiian names. That means that they formed near to the Hawaiian Islands rather forming in the waters off of Mexico, so they got to us when they were still "young", so to speak. I wonder if that made the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Girl
              How does one cook rice when there's no electricity or generators? I was about to buy some but rethought it. Bought pretzels & crackers instead.

Canned soups work too...but again. How do i warm them up (cold is always a better option that starvation) without building an open fire in my yard?

Believe it or not cooking rice is the same as making a pot of coffee over the stove...ummmm okay you don't know how to make a pot of coffee over the stove right?

Okay here we go for you techies who rely on modern marvels to cook your rice and Starbucks for your morning cup o java:

Use the finger method for the amount of water to use...same as normal.

Put pot of rice with water on burner/hibachi/weber/whatever makes a decent flame.

Bring to full boil and let boil for about a minute.

Reduce flame and simmer for 10-15 minutes leaving lid on the pot.

Viola!! Rice like your Tiger rice maker made it.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                When a storm forms in the Central Pacific region (that's our area) then it is assigned a Hawaiian name.
                Interesting that you should note this. I was just updating a HawaiiAnswers.com entry on Hawaiian storm names. It is interesting that Iwa hit the first year they started assigning them Hawaiian names, and that both major storms were 'I' storms (both names were also retired). I definitely think their origin point was a major reason they were so destructive. Note how storms in the Eastern Pacific worry us, but that their 120 m.p.h. winds generally fade before they get too close. Generally.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Interesting that you should note this. I was just updating a HawaiiAnswers.com entry on Hawaiian storm names. It is interesting that Iwa hit the first year they started assigning them Hawaiian names, and that both major storms were 'I' storms (both names were also retired). I definitely think their origin point was a major reason they were so destructive. Note how storms in the Eastern Pacific worry us, but that their 120 m.p.h. winds generally fade before they get too close. Generally.
                  So your GENERALLY GUARDED THEORY is that since we've got Jova, Kenneth, Lidia and Max on our asses, we're in the clear?
                  Maybe because this year's I name was "Irwin." No offense to all you macho Irwin's out there. Thanks for not amounting to much.

Does anyone have a link to the Hawaiian list of 2005 hurricane names? I couldn't find it.

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is. I guess that's part of the reason I'm happy to hear that these storms will dump rain and a substantial amount of wind in our direction.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Blending a bit of science, science fiction and religion, with a dash of kitchen witchery sprinkled in, anyone else 'sides yours truly believes that a hurricane's eye will not traverse the Big Isle? I was taught that a hurricane, regardless of classification, is nevertheless altitude-bound, and with two mountains soaring into the atmosphere, they act as buffering agents. Which is why hurricanes, like Ignacio (my fraverit hurricane name of. All. Time. Viva da Portuguess!) bounce off about 150mi from the eastern side of the isle.

In contrast, Kaua'i and O'ahu peak out at 4000ish ft above sea-level, which makes those isles eye-bait.

Now, if East Hawai'i could only get the hook up from AIG et.al. on earthquake and lava insurance....

Thoughts?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                      Does anyone have a link to the Hawaiian list of 2005 hurricane names? I couldn't find it.

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is. I guess that's part of the reason I'm happy to hear that these storms will dump rain and a substantial amount of wind in our direction.
                      PZ had it in a previous post; here it is again: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml. I checked the maps on the UH's yearly summaries page and couldn't find any Hawaiian hurricanes more recent than 2002. That year had Alika, Ele, and Huko. Since there haven't been any Hawaiian hurricanes since then, I guess that means the next one will be named Ioke.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        I posted the list along with more Hawaii-specific trivial for the FAQ entry at HawaiiAnswers.com. (Oop. Thanks, Glen, for the NHC link.)

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is.
                        Well, as Glen noted, the last Hawaiian name to be given a storm was Huko in 2002 (and it was a busy year -- we often go years without any storms named). So, whenever we do get the next named storm forming right here in our neighborhood, it will indeed be Ioke.

Yes, another 'I' name. Be afraid...
                        Last edited by pzarquon; September 19, 2005, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Well, as Glen noted, the last Hawaiian name to be given a storm was Huko in 2002 (and it was a busy year -- we often go years without any storms named). So, whenever we do get the next named storm forming right here in our neighborhood, it will indeed be Ioke.

Yes, another 'I' name. Be afraid...
                          Huko... Huko... is that the Hawaiian version of "Hugo"?

And FYI, the name Ioke is the Hawaiian version of "Joyce".

Later:
                          For that matter, most if not all of the Hawaiian storm names on that list look like Hawaiianized versions of English names. I wonder how come they don't use Polynesian-origin Hawaiian names, like Ikaika, Kekoa, Makana, Nani, Puanani, etc.?
                          Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 19, 2005, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            Blending a bit of science, science fiction and religion, with a dash of kitchen witchery sprinkled in, anyone else 'sides yours truly believes that a hurricane's eye will not traverse the Big Isle? I was taught that a hurricane, regardless of classification, is nevertheless altitude-bound, and with two mountains soaring into the atmosphere, they act as buffering agents. Which is why hurricanes, like Ignacio (my fraverit hurricane name of. All. Time. Viva da Portuguess!) bounce off about 150mi from the eastern side of the isle.

In contrast, Kaua'i and O'ahu peak out at 4000ish ft above sea-level, which makes those isles eye-bait.

Now, if East Hawai'i could only get the hook up from AIG et.al. on earthquake and lava insurance....

Thoughts?

Part of the article I posted above discusses height as it relates to hurricane winds. It's worth a read.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiianatheart1995
                              Nope, it sure isn't. I am definitely going to the commissary first thing to get my water and tuna fish. Dang....thanks for the heads up about them already selling out of stuff.
                              Storm-savvy islanders stock up on goods to be safe, not sorry
                              Rosemarie Bernardo and Rod Thompson, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 20, 2005:
                              Yesterday, many Costco shoppers first headed to the rear of the store, where pallets of bottled water are kept. "It's the basic necessity of life," said Chris Kanei, a Red Hill resident who picked up five cases of bottled water for family members and friends after she heard that Costco in Waipio Gentry sold out of bottled water Sunday. "I was here 5 (minutes) to 10 a.m. That's the first thing I grabbed," Kanei said.

Comment

Best way to stock up on emergency supplies is to do what Floridians and others who are used to having annual hurricanes hit their area do which is to go get the emergency supplies at the start of the hurricane season (Aug. or Sept.) no matter what. Do it at the same time every year (kinda like the daylight savings time clock change, which Hawai'i doesn't have to worry about), and then when the hurricane season passes, start using up the perishable stuff between Dec. and July so it doesn't go to waste. Then in Aug. build another emergency stash for that year's hurricane season. Then you never have to make that last minute rush to Costco only to find out the bottled water, toilet paper, Spam and rice is sold out.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X