Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

Click on the photo for a larger version. Notice our islands in the upper middle, and Hurricane Jova in the lower right. Then pray.
    Last edited by LikaNui; May 21, 2007, 07:31 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiianatheart1995
      Keep your hearts light.
      again with the heart stuff...
      http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4813

Comment

Sorry Kimo...I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to help based on recent personal experience.

Comment

Take a look at these three images. They're all based on the same satellite photo, but each image has a different storm highlighted. If you can, open up all three at once (e.g., as three tabs in Firefox) and flip between them:

Jova - Kenneth - Lidia

Boy, all three in a row... with soon-to-be-named Max right after them...

Comment

I have a question. In light of katrina what does the governor or mayors of hawaii do when hawaii faces hurricanes. Are your governement officials even thinking about making preparations for the Islands. They are talking about making better safeguards for Louisiana and Mississippi, has anybody heard of them doing that for the Hawaii Islands they are apart of the the United States and should be looked after too.
            Last edited by junebloom; September 18, 2005, 06:52 AM.
            www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

Unless Jova makes a turn to the south, I don't think this one is going to hit Hawaii directly, however we might feel the effects indirectly by more rain and that got me slightly concerned. People talk about the effects of hurricanes due to the high winds and flooding from the sea that hits the coastal areas, but not the rain, which might affect all areas in Hawaii. Granted flood waters are not going to stay around like in New Orleans did but if streams or flood control canals are blocked with rubbish, there might be a situtation like last year's flood at UH, where Manoa stream was blocked, the water jumped the banks and flow downhill to hit parts of UH.

Comment

Well, serves me right for joking that locals always wait until their windows are rattling before mobbing the nearest Longs. These storms are 1,000 miles away and so far projected to miss us by a huge margin, and yet...

When I headed out today to do some supposedly early replenishment of our hurricane bin, I found Costco Waipio was sold out of bottled water. Wal-Mart was down to some overpriced brands and some really busted up cases of the cheap stuff. Safeway only had large jugs -- the huge shelf area was completely bare.

Also figured I wanted a new flashlight. Walmart was sold out. Propane? Walmart was sold out. I ended up overpaying for an off-brand flashlight at City Mill. Still looking for propane.

Methinks there's a bit of panic buying going on. Better now than when the storm's on our doorstep, though, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Well, serves me right for joking that locals always wait until their windows are rattling before mobbing the nearest Longs. These storms are 1,000 miles away and so far projected to miss us by a huge margin, and yet...

When I headed out today to do some supposedly early replenishment of our hurricane bin, I found Costco Waipio was sold out of bottled water. Wal-Mart was down to some overpriced brands and some really busted up cases of the cheap stuff. Safeway only had large jugs -- the huge shelf area was completely bare.

Also figured I wanted a new flashlight. Walmart was sold out. Propane? Walmart was sold out. I ended up overpaying for an off-brand flashlight at City Mill. Still looking for propane.

Methinks there's a bit of panic buying going on. Better now than when the storm's on our doorstep, though, I guess...
                  I went to THREE different grocery stores in an attempt to buy one freakin' 20lb bag of rice. I canNOT bring myself to type the price I paid for that bag when I finally found it, but know this! It was NOT on sale™.

pax

Comment

I guess I consider myself lucky because this afternoon a friend drove me to Costco at Iwilei and managed to pick spam, tuna, AA batteries, Gatorade and Capri Sun drinks.

They had one pack of C batteries left. I wasn't looking for bottled water but I figure I could drink some of the Gatorade now since I have 24 bottles and fill up the empty bottles with water.

This goes on the theory that I don't have to evacuate my building during a hurricane because there is no way I can lug the stuff I brought to some shelter.

Comment

I have heard of some meetings and committees being formed to re vamp if you will. But, with Katrina only three weeks old, I'm sure not much has been accomplished. We shall soon see.

Comment

Helen,

I went to Home Depot today to stock up on the batteries and flashlights, etc. Tomorrow I will be going to the commissary for the grocery items. Trust me. We will not be too prepared.

Comment

Yikes..."sold out" is not something nice to see right about now...

We did our shopping just last night, went to that Sam's Club and Wal-Mart by Like Like Drive-In and got pretty much everything we needed. I think the only thing we didn't get is toilet paper, but we have quite a bit as it is. Next for us is probably fixing up our house, making it as sturdy as absolutely possible. It'll be hard since my parents work long hours during the day, but we'll work it out, hopefully.
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Nope, it sure isn't. I am definitely going to the commissary first thing to get my water and tuna fish. Dang....thanks for the heads up about them already selling out of stuff.

Comment

Burn, baby, burn!

No, I mean all we computer geeks should be backing up data and programs to CDs/DVDs in case of hurricanes. Store 'em with the insurance policies and other important papers that you grab when you have to run.

I just looked up Hurricane Iwa, and found an interesting discussion of the hows and whys of the storms.
                              Last edited by Linkmeister; September 19, 2005, 09:15 AM. Reason: Added an o/t link
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                                I just looked up Hurricane Iwa, and found an interesting discussion of the hows and whys of the storms.
                                That whole site is great; thanks for the pointer to it. Its author, Hans Rosendal, was a lead forecaster with the Honolulu Forecast Office of the National Weather Service from 1978 to his retirement earlier this year. He also has a good discussion of Iniki, as well as Hawaiian hurricanes and Hawaiian weather in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X