Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

Default Re: Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

Helen,

I went to Home Depot today to stock up on the batteries and flashlights, etc. Tomorrow I will be going to the commissary for the grocery items. Trust me. We will not be too prepared.

Yikes..."sold out" is not something nice to see right about now...

We did our shopping just last night, went to that Sam's Club and Wal-Mart by Like Like Drive-In and got pretty much everything we needed. I think the only thing we didn't get is toilet paper, but we have quite a bit as it is. Next for us is probably fixing up our house, making it as sturdy as absolutely possible. It'll be hard since my parents work long hours during the day, but we'll work it out, hopefully.

Nope, it sure isn't. I am definitely going to the commissary first thing to get my water and tuna fish. Dang....thanks for the heads up about them already selling out of stuff.

Burn, baby, burn!

No, I mean all we computer geeks should be backing up data and programs to CDs/DVDs in case of hurricanes. Store 'em with the insurance policies and other important papers that you grab when you have to run.

I just looked up Hurricane Iwa, and found an interesting discussion of the hows and whys of the storms.
    Last edited by Linkmeister; September 19th, 2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added an o/t link

Quote Originally Posted by Linkmeister
    I just looked up Hurricane Iwa, and found an interesting discussion of the hows and whys of the storms.
    That whole site is great; thanks for the pointer to it. Its author, Hans Rosendal, was a lead forecaster with the Honolulu Forecast Office of the National Weather Service from 1978 to his retirement earlier this year. He also has a good discussion of Iniki, as well as Hawaiian hurricanes and Hawaiian weather in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    I went to THREE different grocery stores in an attempt to buy one freakin' 20lb bag of rice. I canNOT bring myself to type the price I paid for that bag when I finally found it, but know this! It was NOT on sale™.
    Yipe! I forgot about rice. We're covered on most fronts (for once, buying at Costco and having too much of stuff is a good thing), but yeah, we're down to our last dozen cups or so on the gohan. Hmm.

One effect of the Katrina aftermath is that local forecasters are not going to jump to conclusions about distant storms. Jova seems destined to fade and pass to the east, but... never say never.

Corky Trinidad seems to have an idea who purchased all that bottled water over the weekend. No idea on the guilty party or parties who hoarded the rice.

How does one cook rice when there's no electricity or generators? I was about to buy some but rethought it. Bought pretzels & crackers instead.

Canned soups work too...but again. How do i warm them up (cold is always a better option that starvation) without building an open fire in my yard?

There is always portable camp stoves that run on propane. However since I don't have one I was buying stuff that can be eaten without cooking such as spam and tuna.

When a storm forms in the Central Pacific region (that's our area) then it is assigned a Hawaiian name. They started doing that in 1982. It's probably no coincidence that the two worst hurricanes in Hawai‘i since then, ‘Iwa and Iniki, have both had Hawaiian names. That means that they formed near to the Hawaiian Islands rather forming in the waters off of Mexico, so they got to us when they were still "young", so to speak. I wonder if that made the difference?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Girl
    How does one cook rice when there's no electricity or generators? I was about to buy some but rethought it. Bought pretzels & crackers instead.

Canned soups work too...but again. How do i warm them up (cold is always a better option that starvation) without building an open fire in my yard?

Believe it or not cooking rice is the same as making a pot of coffee over the stove...ummmm okay you don't know how to make a pot of coffee over the stove right?

Okay here we go for you techies who rely on modern marvels to cook your rice and Starbucks for your morning cup o java:

Use the finger method for the amount of water to use...same as normal.

Put pot of rice with water on burner/hibachi/weber/whatever makes a decent flame.

Bring to full boil and let boil for about a minute.

Reduce flame and simmer for 10-15 minutes leaving lid on the pot.

Viola!! Rice like your Tiger rice maker made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    When a storm forms in the Central Pacific region (that's our area) then it is assigned a Hawaiian name.
    Interesting that you should note this. I was just updating a HawaiiAnswers.com entry on Hawaiian storm names. It is interesting that Iwa hit the first year they started assigning them Hawaiian names, and that both major storms were 'I' storms (both names were also retired). I definitely think their origin point was a major reason they were so destructive. Note how storms in the Eastern Pacific worry us, but that their 120 m.p.h. winds generally fade before they get too close. Generally.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Interesting that you should note this. I was just updating a HawaiiAnswers.com entry on Hawaiian storm names. It is interesting that Iwa hit the first year they started assigning them Hawaiian names, and that both major storms were 'I' storms (both names were also retired). I definitely think their origin point was a major reason they were so destructive. Note how storms in the Eastern Pacific worry us, but that their 120 m.p.h. winds generally fade before they get too close. Generally.
    So your GENERALLY GUARDED THEORY is that since we've got Jova, Kenneth, Lidia and Max on our asses, we're in the clear?
    Maybe because this year's I name was "Irwin." No offense to all you macho Irwin's out there. Thanks for not amounting to much.

Does anyone have a link to the Hawaiian list of 2005 hurricane names? I couldn't find it.

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is. I guess that's part of the reason I'm happy to hear that these storms will dump rain and a substantial amount of wind in our direction.

Blending a bit of science, science fiction and religion, with a dash of kitchen witchery sprinkled in, anyone else 'sides yours truly believes that a hurricane's eye will not traverse the Big Isle? I was taught that a hurricane, regardless of classification, is nevertheless altitude-bound, and with two mountains soaring into the atmosphere, they act as buffering agents. Which is why hurricanes, like Ignacio (my fraverit hurricane name of. All. Time. Viva da Portuguess!) bounce off about 150mi from the eastern side of the isle.

In contrast, Kaua'i and O'ahu peak out at 4000ish ft above sea-level, which makes those isles eye-bait.

Now, if East Hawai'i could only get the hook up from AIG et.al. on earthquake and lava insurance....

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    Does anyone have a link to the Hawaiian list of 2005 hurricane names? I couldn't find it.

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is. I guess that's part of the reason I'm happy to hear that these storms will dump rain and a substantial amount of wind in our direction.
    PZ had it in a previous post; here it is again: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml. I checked the maps on the UH's yearly summaries page and couldn't find any Hawaiian hurricanes more recent than 2002. That year had Alika, Ele, and Huko. Since there haven't been any Hawaiian hurricanes since then, I guess that means the next one will be named Ioke.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    I posted the list along with more Hawaii-specific trivial for the FAQ entry at HawaiiAnswers.com. (Oop. Thanks, Glen, for the NHC link.)

You know every year when the Hawaiian names come out, or the hurricanes in the Pacific parade through, I always take note of what the I name is.
    Well, as Glen noted, the last Hawaiian name to be given a storm was Huko in 2002 (and it was a busy year -- we often go years without any storms named). So, whenever we do get the next named storm forming right here in our neighborhood, it will indeed be Ioke.

Yes, another 'I' name. Be afraid...
    Last edited by pzarquon; September 19th, 2005 at 01:31 PM.

Well, as Glen noted, the last Hawaiian name to be given a storm was Huko in 2002 (and it was a busy year -- we often go years without any storms named). So, whenever we do get the next named storm forming right here in our neighborhood, it will indeed be Ioke.

Yes, another 'I' name. Be afraid...
    Huko... Huko... is that the Hawaiian version of "Hugo"?

And FYI, the name Ioke is the Hawaiian version of "Joyce".

Later:
    For that matter, most if not all of the Hawaiian storm names on that list look like Hawaiianized versions of English names. I wonder how come they don't use Polynesian-origin Hawaiian names, like Ikaika, Kekoa, Makana, Nani, Puanani, etc.?
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 19th, 2005 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Blending a bit of science, science fiction and religion, with a dash of kitchen witchery sprinkled in, anyone else 'sides yours truly believes that a hurricane's eye will not traverse the Big Isle? I was taught that a hurricane, regardless of classification, is nevertheless altitude-bound, and with two mountains soaring into the atmosphere, they act as buffering agents. Which is why hurricanes, like Ignacio (my fraverit hurricane name of. All. Time. Viva da Portuguess!) bounce off about 150mi from the eastern side of the isle.

In contrast, Kaua'i and O'ahu peak out at 4000ish ft above sea-level, which makes those isles eye-bait.

Now, if East Hawai'i could only get the hook up from AIG et.al. on earthquake and lava insurance....

Thoughts?

Part of the article I posted above discusses height as it relates to hurricane winds. It's worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianatheart1995
    Nope, it sure isn't. I am definitely going to the commissary first thing to get my water and tuna fish. Dang....thanks for the heads up about them already selling out of stuff.
    Storm-savvy islanders stock up on goods to be safe, not sorry
    Rosemarie Bernardo and Rod Thompson, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 20, 2005:
    Yesterday, many Costco shoppers first headed to the rear of the store, where pallets of bottled water are kept. "It's the basic necessity of life," said Chris Kanei, a Red Hill resident who picked up five cases of bottled water for family members and friends after she heard that Costco in Waipio Gentry sold out of bottled water Sunday. "I was here 5 (minutes) to 10 a.m. That's the first thing I grabbed," Kanei said.

Best way to stock up on emergency supplies is to do what Floridians and others who are used to having annual hurricanes hit their area do which is to go get the emergency supplies at the start of the hurricane season (Aug. or Sept.) no matter what. Do it at the same time every year (kinda like the daylight savings time clock change, which Hawai'i doesn't have to worry about), and then when the hurricane season passes, start using up the perishable stuff between Dec. and July so it doesn't go to waste. Then in Aug. build another emergency stash for that year's hurricane season. Then you never have to make that last minute rush to Costco only to find out the bottled water, toilet paper, Spam and rice is sold out.

Miulang

Well, Jova moved west of 140°W, so monitoring has been handed off to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center here in Honolulu. Looks like their server is being hammered -- they're directing folks to UH Meteorology for more information. Here's the animated infrared GOES-10 image.

Thanks, Ryan. Like yourself, I'm monitoring this very closely as well. I think the most interesting comment in the new update was this:
    "THE BIG FACTOR TO CONSIDER IN FUTURE FORECAST CYCLES IS THE AMOUNT OF SHEAR ACROSS THE FORECAST TRACK. JOVA WILL MOVE ROUGHLY PARALLEL TO THE 26C SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURE ISOTHERM...SO WEAKENING WILL LIKELY NOT BE CAUSED BY COOLER SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES...AT LEAST NOT THROUGH 72 HOURS."
    The lack of shear and lack of decreasing water temps are both critical factors and cause somewhat more concern than yesterday's updates. And so does this:
    "JOVA IS STILL EXPECTED TO PASS NORTHWESTWARD ABOUT 350 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT MAY EVENTUALLY TAKE A MORE WESTERLY TRACK."
    A more westerly track, of course, puts us more in the danger area. I also noted that NOAA's site says errors for the track have averaged near 200 nautical miles on Day 4 and 250 nautical miles on Day 5. So if it's expected to pass the Big Island by 350 miles but there could be a 250 mile error, it obviously could get within a mere 100 miles. Not good at all.
    I expect only heavy rain on Thursday, Friday and Saturday; perhaps severely heavy rain. But we most definitely need to keep an eye on Jova.

Hurricane Jova is weakening and appears to be heading clear of the islands. However, the 5am report from NOAA and the Central Pacific Hurricane Center ends with this:
    "A FINAL NOTE OF CAUTION...THERE IS AN OUTSIDE CHANCE THAT DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS THE INCREASING VERTICAL WIND SHEAR COULD CAUSE
    THE LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION OF JOVA TO DECOUPLE. IN THAT CASE...THIS
    WEAKENED LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION MIGHT BE CARRIED TO THE LEFT OF THIS FORECAST TRACK."

And left, of course, means a heading straight toward Hawai`i, probably at a strength just below hurricane level. We still need to be alert for a few more days.

MAMA said she no believe already. As long as she got her Korean Soap Operas and can goods. I told her not going get electricity. No worry, not going get one hurricane, not name in Hawaiian. You worry when they name one in Hawaiian! Then we hold Okole!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

If nothing else, the high surf will prove to be a godsend for the surfers. I hope Manoa Stream doesn't overflow its banks again, too, with all the heavy rain that's expected to hit the islands.

Miulang

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast