Star Trek: New Voyages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: New Voyages

I was checking IMDb about Star Trek and trying to get the latest information on the next Star Trek movie that may come out in 2007 and I ran across this entry:

Star Trek: New Voyages (2004)

After checking into this it's not Paramount who is making this but some other company that's doing it with some restrictions from Paramount like not making a profit from these shows. There is a web site where one can download the epsiodes. I only download the first epsiode titled Come What May which is in 5 parts. After viewing it I have some mixed reactions about it.

I should mention it's about the original series in the 4th year of the Enterprise 5 year mission. Different actors play the original characters, which I don't have a problem with in theory but the casting could have been better. The Kirk character looks like he came from the movie Grease, he and the Spock character seem to be really young for the part, the guy playing Checkov is slightly older than he should be, the guy playing Scotty is either too short for the role or they goofed in placing the intercom too high on the wall in the transporter room. A couple of the actors who did bit parts in the original series have some roles in this episode. The actor who did Mr. Kyle is the captain of another starship that the Enterprise aids in this episode and the actor who played the security guard Mr. Leslie, plays his dad Admiral Leslie who sort of chews out Captain Kirk in the episode.

The exterior special effects is kind of impressive but if you look too closely you see some flaws in them.

The background music while using the original music from the series and sometimes from the movies was always on which (a) detracted from the dialouge and (b) since the music had a few seconds head start you would know whatever was coming up was either serious or comedic.

The story could have been better too.

Overall I think this episode kind of stinks but the concept I like, there is another episode titled In Harm's Way which I will try to download some time this week to take a look at.
    Last edited by helen; September 17, 2005, 12:07 AM.

Re: Star Trek: New Voyages

Of the things that I remember during the Usenet days in the Star Trek newsgroups was that if they ever remade the original series one episode that would be redone would be the episode "The Doomsday Machine", the story itself was good but the kind of big robot planet killer looked like a bugle snack. The folks at Cow Creek Films who makes Star Trek: New Voyages attempted to retell that story in a different light with their 2nd episode titled "In Harm's Way".

I download the 5 part episode plus it's 2 previews on Friday night and watched it at least 3 times fully. There are times when this epsisode is really good and other times it could have been done better. Despite it's flaws this episode is way better than the first one.

I need to correct something from the first post. It's not a company that is making these episodes but rather a group of fans who are doing this. There seems to be differnet names to these groups but this is more done for the art rather than for the money which is kind of why Paramount is okay with this which is considered something known as Fan Films.

Comment

Re: Star Trek: New Voyages

Helen:
      I remember watching Star Trek on TV years ago when I was a kid. It was so cool. Do you remember the show "Time Tunnel" that also ran about the same time? That and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" I thought were GREAT! But I'm sure if I watched these shows today, I'd find the flaws you note with Star Trek.
      Just makes you appreciate the advances in cinema, TV, etc. Now quality is a different subject, LOL, and I'm not about to go there.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
      X